Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Pittsburgh Steelers Pittsburgh Penguins Pittsburgh Pirates
    See shortprinted's Items on eBay Instagram:

No, as CTE can NOT be verified until AFTER one dies and their brain is examined, so if Hernandez's attorney would have even tried to mention it in his trial, the judged would have shot him down and instructed the jury to disregard such a statement.

There is hope that CTE will be able to be detected in living individuals by 2021, but right now, it can only be found in the deceased:

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/fo...icle-1.2519688

I understand not wanting to falsely blemish someone's character without facts. Unfortunately, the facts are there. He performed those acts, was found guilty by the justice system, and was serving the penalty. If his legal counsel and doctors weren't willing to make the CTE claim, then why are you? Is the new standard that if you play football, even though you know the physical risks, that you probably have CTE and it's not your fault when you go murdering people? What about the thousands diagnosed with CTE after death that didn't go around killing people? Hernandez had character flaws all the way through school and into the NFL. They were well known to Florida and the New England Patriots before he stepped onto the field. It is a sad situation, but I don't think it needs any excuses tied to it.
    Last edited by kdnist; 04-22-2017 at 03:25 PM.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

I understand not wanting to falsely blemish someone's character without facts. Unfortunately, the facts are there. He performed those acts, was found guilty by the justice system, and was serving the penalty.

I understand that ... however ... CTE can't be measured on living individuals yet and if it could there may have been a far different outcome, not just in court but in his life.

If his legal counsel and doctors weren't willing to make the CTE claim, then why are you?

You're kidding right? Anyone with a brain can comprehend that CTE "could have" had a direct effect on Hernandez's behavior but that doesn't mean such would be admissible in a court of law.

Is the new standard that if you play football, even though you know the physical risks, that you probably have CTE and it's not your fault when you go murdering people?

It's quite obvious that Hernandez nor anyone in his family "knew" the risks of CTE when he started playing Pop Warner football, right?

Regardless, if someone gets CTE and it effects their mental state and they commit a crime they should have every right to same defense anyone has who has mental health issues. It's just that CTE is so new that the courts don't know what to do with it yet.

Also, knowing the risks of a particular activity does not mean you are automatically responsible when something happens ... for example, everyone knows that driving a car is dangerous, that things could go wrong and death could be the result, however that doesn't mean every single person that gets in a car accident and causes an injury or death deserves to be convicted of a crime.

What about the thousands diagnosed with CTE after death that didn't go around killing people?

Thousands? In 2009 ONLY 49 cases of CTE had ever even been discovered, and to date I think less than 100 former NFL players who died and tested positive for CTE had been studied (see: http://www.bu.edu/cte/our-research/case-studies/)... regardless, I doubt CTE manifests itself in exactly the same way in each person so that entire argument is rather irrelevant.

Hernandez had character flaws all the way through school and into the NFL. They were well known to Florida and the New England Patriots before he stepped onto the field. It is a sad situation, but I don't think it needs any excuses tied to it.

His issues seem to have started in high school and like I said he could have got CTE playing Pop Warner football ... listen, for all I know he was just a scumbag who deserves to be excoriated ... but ... there is also the possibility that he got CTE at a young age playing a game he loved and that it played a role in turning him into the scumbag he became and IF that is the case, I don't want to cast stones at the kid

SCF Rewards
    Country

Talk about going out on a limb. If you want to cosign for a convicted murderer on a hunch that he might have had CTE, were it able to be diagnosed in living people during the time of his trial, go for it. I'll be back here on earth.

SCF Rewards
    Country

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti....html#comments

According to Newsweek, Lloyd may have known that Hernandez was carrying on an affair with a male friend who was forced to testify before the grand jury in the Lloyd case.

At the time of his death, Lloyd, 27, was dating Shaneah Jenkins, the sister of Aaron Hernandez's fiancee.

Investigators now reportedly want to know if Hernandez killed Lloyd so as to prevent him from revealing details of the Patriot star's sex life to his girlfriend, who might then pass the information to Hernandez's fiancee.

Ernest Wallace, a co-defendant in the Lloyd murder case, told police that Lloyd had called Hernandez 'schmoocher,' which he interpreted as a gay slur.

He was overheard telling Hernandez's cousin that he would not have helped the football star hide the gun if he knew beforehand that he was a 'limp wrist.'

'Limp wrist' is known as a disparaging term used for homosexuals.

The revelations about a possible motive for the Lloyd murder came as news emerged that Hernandez left three handwritten notes in the cell where he hanged himself.

One note each was written to his fiancée, his daughter and his gay jailhouse lover.

Sources close to the investigation tell DailyMail.com that the third letter was written to Hernandez's gay prison lover, who has not been identified but was believed to be the last person Hernandez spoke to before he took his own life.
    Now that man is currently under 'eyeball to eyeball' suicide watch.

Selling All My Cards Here------>Hidden Content

Baseball Autograph and Game Used Only Trade Page: pwaldo.webs.com/
    //s123.photobucket.com/albums/o299/pwaldo/

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

Interesting ... and covering up his homosexuality would definitely be considered a "motive" ... hopefully Aaron Rodgers will never go crazy to hide his homosexuality ... if that rumor is even true ... too much weirdness in sports sometimes, lol

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

Talk about going out on a limb.

Does CTE exist?

Have scientists said that one could get CTE from playing youth football?

Do scientists believe CTE could lead to a change in behavior?

The answer to all of the above questions is uneqivovcally "YES" so it's anything but "going out on a limb".

If you want to cosign for a convicted murderer on a hunch that he might have had CTE, were it able to be diagnosed in living people during the time of his trial, go for it. I'll be back here on earth.

Nothing I have said could possibly be construed as me "cosigning" for Hernandez, or even as a defense of him or his actions unless one wants to read into my comments things that aren't there.

I simply choose to err on the side of caution rather than pretending I'm an omniscient human being who "knows" exactly what was going on inside Hernandez's head ... I feel good about that stand and wish everyone "on earth" had enough sense to stop judging people and issues before they actually "know" the truth.

He that answereth a matter before he heareth it, it is folly and shame unto him - Proverbs 18:13

SCF Rewards
    Country

Does CTE exist?

Have scientists said that one could get CTE from playing youth football?

Do scientists believe CTE could lead to a change in behavior?

The answer to all of the above questions is uneqivovcally "YES" so it's anything but "going out on a limb".

Nothing I have said could possibly be construed as me "cosigning" for Hernandez, or even as a defense of him or his actions unless one wants to read into my comments things that aren't there.

I simply choose to err on the side of caution rather than pretending I'm an omniscient human being who "knows" exactly what was going on inside Hernandez's head ... I feel good about that stand and wish everyone "on earth" had enough sense to stop judging people and issues before they actually "know" the truth.

He that answereth a matter before he heareth it, it is folly and shame unto him - Proverbs 18:13

Nobody is judging anybody. He went to jail for murdering a person. You went from erring on the side of caution (very respectable) to full blown speculation about CTE. From the amount of CTE information you put into your posts its almost like you believe he had it. He pleaded not guilty. If there were symptoms like depression or mental illness (doesn't have to be diagnosed as CTE yet) that could have contributed to his crime, I'm sure his lawyer and doctors would have taken that stance in his defense. They didn't, hes convicted and those are the facts we have to go off of. That doesn't mean anybody is judging anybody so don't get all self righteous on everyone. You don't need to quote a verse to understand the legal process that has already convened.
    Last edited by kdnist; 04-22-2017 at 09:35 PM.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

Nobody is judging anybody.

Many have judged Hernandez, many ... and that's their prerogative ... I just don't want to do so as I don't "know" if CTE played a part in his behavior or not, that's all.

He went to jail for murdering a person.

That is irrelevant in regards to what I'm talking about.

You went from erring on the side of caution (very respectable) to full blown speculation about CTE.

The possible CTE issue is the only thing that would lead me to err on the side of caution as without CTE playing any part in his actions, he is probably deserving of being condemned in the harshest of terms.

From the amount of CTE information you put into your posts its almost like you believe he had it. He pleaded not guilty. If there were symptoms like depression or mental illness (doesn't have to be diagnosed as CTE yet) that could have contributed to his crime, I'm sure his lawyer and doctors would have taken that stance in his defense.

As I already said, he could NOT use CTE as a defense as one has to be deceased before CTE can even be tested at this time ... that may change in 5 years but for now, it is what it is. As for using depression or mental illness as a defense ... he obviously wanted to flat out BEAT the charges and thought he could do so ... he didn't want to be confined to a mental facility, he wanted to walk away scott-free and return to the NFL, so your comments about a mental health defense are irrelevant.

They didn't, hes convicted and those are the facts we have to go off of.

See above ...

That doesn't mean anybody is judging anybody so don't get all self righteous on everyone.

It's a fact many have judged Hernandez, it's not up for debate. However, me choosing not to judge him is the opposite of "self-righteous" ... it is me admitting that as I am not omnipotent and do not know if CTE played a part in his behavior I am not qualified, or should I say, righteous enough, to judge him as-is. I find it hilarious that when someone admits they are not righteous in and of themselves they are accused of being "self" righteous ...

You don't need to quote a verse to understand the legal process that has already convened.

As I already said, his attorney could NOT use CTE as a defense as he was not deceased at the time of his trial, nor did he want to be declared innocent by reason of insanity as he obviously wanted to beat the charges entirely, so the "legal process" itself is entirely irrelevant in regards to what I'm talking about ...

Now, don't get it twisted and read into my comments things that are not there ... I am NOT a Hernandez fan and never was, nor am I a Gators or Patriots fan ... as they say I have no horse in this race ... I'm also not judging anyone for excoriating Hernandez; I'm merely saying I don't feel right doing so myself as I do not know if CTE had any effect on his behavior ... BUT ... I am 100% positive that NO ONE BUT GOD does know what effect CTE had on Hernandez, so I feel confident that my refusing to judge the man is the right decision for me personally ... to each his own.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Not worth arguing over man. This is a football card forum. I respect your stance, but agree to disagree.

SCF Rewards
    Country

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...Hernandez.html

The mystery prisoner who Aaron Hernandez wrote to before his shocking suicide is a 22-year-old man jailed for a knife point robbery at a gas station near his home, DailyMail.com can exclusively reveal.

Kyle Kennedy was the last person to see the former New England Patriot alive and is now on suicide watch inside the maximum security Souza-Baranowski Corrections Center, sources say.

He is the man to whom Hernandez gave a $50,000 watch and other property shortly before he took his life.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123