Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 3456789 ... LastLast
    Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Edmonton Oilers Toronto Blue Jays Hamilton Tiger Cats
    See 30Ranfordfan's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

:)

Yeah, and I should have been more clear with my point......

While I certainly agree that you don't know (for a fact) what Ovechkin (or any player) was thinking... claiming that the Captials all sat down for a pre-game meeting, and plotted the best way to take Crosby out - nobody posting on SCF knows that either (and I, for one, would be shocked if that was the case)

As the "other poster," I really don't pretend to know what anyone is/was thinking...I was really just responding to the insinuation that this whole thing was a plot by the Caps to take out Pittsburgh's best player.

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Country

Great point, but I'd go a step father.

If the NHL was actually serious about wanting to prevent concussions (all evidence actually points to the fact that both the league & the PA don't care) they wouldn't care about weather a play results in a concussion or not.

If you make contact with another player's head, you get a 5 minute major and a game misconduct. Did it a second time? You're suspended for 3 games. Did it a 3rd time? You just got 10. Did he get hurt? Did you mean to do it? It doesn't matter. You touched his head, so you're gone.

Of course that would mean they'd have to hand out more than 5 minutes for face punching......

@jameslacarte the other thing that bothers me with your comments is you keep mentioning how he hit a "superstar" and look how many "star players" have concussions. This is the exact attitude that is wrong with the NHL as a whole. You are basically saying that well because it's a star player who received a concussion, it's different.

NO. No, no, no, and no somemore. Absolutely not. A concussion incident should be treated exactly the same whether it is Sidney Crosby, or John Scott. Superstar players should not receive special treatment, nor should they be penalized differently. Each player should be treated with the same dignity and care by the NHL. I hate that Sid got another concussion, but to say it needs to be discussed because it's a "superstar" player getting hit is completely ridiculous. I'm sick of the "superstars" getting special treatment by the NHL. Treat all players the same. Call all penalties the same. Dish out majors & suspensions the same. It doesn't happen now, and it's just plain dumb.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Washington Capitals Washington Capitals Washington Capitals
    See capsfan30's Items on eBay

Let me say first, it sucks that Crosby has another concussion. I wouldn't wish that on anyone. It does indeed suck for hockey at large that he is again hurt. I hope he makes a speedy recovery.

Second, to say that the Caps did this on purpose is just so short-sighted and incredulous and asinine.

Third, how would you expect the Caps, or any team in general, to play Crosby? With child gloves so as not to damage him? Please. They played him hard like anyone else would. From my own opinion and point of view, it looked like Ovechkin slashed/checked Crosby on his way to the net, and his stick rode up Crosby's shoulder and bumped him in the head. High sticking? Yes, definitely, but not intentional and not intended to injure him. Then, after that, Crosby lost his balance a bit, and started falling to one knee, at which point he collided with Niskanen, who only seemed to be bracing for an impact. The fact that Crosby's head happened to be at Niskanen's waist level is very unfortunate, but again, I don't believe injury was intended.

If anyone has ever been about to collide with something, what is usually the first reaction? Put your hands/arms in front of you, at place of potential contact. That's all I think happened on this play. Unfortunately, Niskanen's hands/stick came into contact with Crosby's head.

Would I be furious if this happened to Ovechkin? Yes, of course I would. So would any other fan of any team if it happened to their best player. But I would hope that I'd be able to keep a level enough head to realize that there's no way that a play such as this could have been intentional.

SCF Rewards
    Country

I dont get it..They, the NHL & NHLPA should be protecting these players. Gaudreau has been in the League since 14-15 & how many concussions has he had already? Im not sure but at least 2, probably more..
    Yeah, i may have over reacted a bit by saying they planned this attack on Crosby but thats just speculation from what i saw at that time. It wouldn't shock me in the least though if it came out later that it was planned & done on purpose. The Caps are so desperate to win it wouldnt surprise me in the least that they were willing to do whatever it takes. I dont buy for 1 second though that Ovie didnt know who that was in front of him or that Niskanen didnt do that on purpose either. Bracing yourself for what little contact there was going to be to him does not include thrusting your stick forward with both hands on it. It was a blatant shot to the head, not an accident.

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Country

The NHL and NHLPA are protecting them. If they called the rules by the book, or suspended guys for dirty play - many of their players would be suspended (that includes Crosby).

Dirty play happens over and over again, because the league would rather the players take cheap shots at each other, and risk having star players get injured, than they would risk having star players be suspended.

Of course Ovechkin knew who was in front of the net... and he laid the same hard stick check (or slash, whatever we call it now) that anyone would lay on Crosby.... or Crosby would do to him.

Slashing the puck carrier happens over and over again. Happens to players without the puck to. The better you are, the more you're slashed (and hooked, held, and interfered with).

I don't believe for one second that anybody went out there trying to injure Crosby. They went out there playing him hard, and don't care if he gets injured..... which is how everyone in the league (including Crosby) plays.

I dont get it..They, the NHL & NHLPA should be protecting these players. Gaudreau has been in the League since 14-15 & how many concussions has he had already? Im not sure but at least 2, probably more..
    Yeah, i may have over reacted a bit by saying they planned this attack on Crosby but thats just speculation from what i saw at that time. It wouldn't shock me in the least though if it came out later that it was planned & done on purpose. The Caps are so desperate to win it wouldnt surprise me in the least that they were willing to do whatever it takes. I dont buy for 1 second though that Ovie didnt know who that was in front of him or that Niskanen didnt do that on purpose either. Bracing yourself for what little contact there was going to be to him does not include thrusting your stick forward with both hands on it. It was a blatant shot to the head, not an accident.

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    Connexionhck (72)
    Country
    See thal_corbeil's Items on eBay Instagram:

I'm sorry, you have the right to have your opinion but everybody disagrees, event the Nhl, he didn't get suspended. The game is so fast, the players don't have time to think.
    I collect game used and autographed cards of Beliveau, Lafleur and Maurice Richard. Can consider other nice Habs cards too.
    Flicker: Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country

I just watched the highlights in Slow motion & that slash by ovechkin was a blatant 2 hander that should have been called as well. Watch the torque on Ovie's stick when he hits Crosby. Canseco would have been envious of that swing. Its also official that Crosby will not be dressed for game 4 & he has been diagnosed with a concussion. There will also be nothing for Niskanen either.
    To quote good old Jeremy Roenick, "C'mon NHL Wake up"...

SCF Rewards
    Country
    St Louis Blues
    COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

The game is so fast, the players don't have time to think.

But watching it at full speed doesn't add credence to my conspiracy theories!

SCF Rewards
    Country

I was wondering when i would hear from you but knew it was inevitable..It was only a matter of time. Ive watched the Panels & read some stuff on it & your wrong. Just because the NHL didnt suspend anyone means nothing. Go read what Paul Coffey says about the whole situation but i bet you know more than him too right?

I'm sorry, you have the right to have your opinion but everybody disagrees, event the Nhl, he didn't get suspended. The game is so fast, the players don't have time to think.

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    UCB (114)
    Country

Ok so I watched the game live and have watched over and over the vidoe replays and if you watch Ovechkin come across and hits crosby with his stick on the right side first, slashes or hi sticking should be called. then ovechkin uses his stick again on the left of crosby and makes head contact, should be hi stick and 5 and a game for that, the head is off limits according to rule book. The hit by nicheskin was not as hard as I have seen by others, but if like he said he saw crosby going down and was just bracing himself for the small impact, why cant he just lower his stick and just grab hold of the body and go down with him, why does he need to have the stick out toward the head and hit it..

I dont think the caps wante to intentionally hurt anyone but they were certainly playing alot harder than in the previous 2 games and taking more chances and throwing the body around way more.

I really hope for the Penguins and for the league that crosby is only out 1 game and can return, its not good for the league to have your best palyers out like this
    I believe that if your hitting any players at the head or around the head anad cause that player to miss games, so should you until the injuried player returns.

Thsi is just my opinion, but until players show the respect about head hits and concusiions, it will never stop.

GO PENS GO!!!!!!
    Last edited by 09232003; 05-02-2017 at 03:14 PM.

Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 3456789 ... LastLast