Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OPG Assistant Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country
    New York Rangers Ottawa Senators Toronto Blue Jays
    Twitter: @Attackfan74

I want to share a story about my favorite player

I became a Bobby Ryan fan during his time playing for my home town Owen Sound Attack. He was great with the fans and especially the kids, in particular my kids and that is what made him special to us. He was so down to earth, especially with everything he had gone through, which wasnt public knowledge at the time. He actually staid up here for a summer instead of going home and played in our local softball league which is story I love repeating.

My best friend in the world lives across the road from me, probably about 30 steps away. He was never a big hockey fan but through me became an Attack fan, and by extension a Bobby Ryan fan. We used to share seasons tickets together and attend all the home games. We have also travelled to Toronto, Buffalo and Detroit to watch Bobby play. My friends nick name is Buzz and that is how I am going to refer to him throughout the rest of the story.

4 years ago Buzz was told he needed a new liver and was put on the transplant list. This resulted in a change of life style for Buzz as well as various hospital stays. Last August he finally got the call and was sent to London for the procedure. It was reported that all went well and he would spend 6 weeks in the hospital recouping. He returned home and it was like he had a fresh start, things were great. We attended a Leafs/Sens game in Toronto in January and had a blast.

In February we were to attend another leafs/sens game but unfortunately Buzz had to cancel at the last moment. He had been in and out of the hospital for what I assumed were routine follow up tests. However, he informed me that when they did the transplant they found cancer in the old liver. It had now spread to his lymp nodes, and there was nothing they could do and recommended palliative care. One of the worst conversations I have had to sit through in my entire life.

Fast forward a couple of months and Buzz is still here fighting the fight. He has his good days and his bad. This past Saturday he informed me that he had received a unexpected phone call from Idaho. It turns out that a mutual friend of ours got in touch with the head of marketing for the attack. He in turn, reached out to Mike Futa of the LA Kings who was GM of the attack during Bobby Ryan's days here. Futa then reached out to Bobby Ryan, who in turn took the time to call Buzz and have a chat with him

This occurred on Sat May 27th. So bobby was in pittsburgh being eliminated from the playoffs at midnight on he 25th.....back to ottawa for exit meetings and locker clean out on the 26th......then finally home to his wife and daughter in Idaho on the 27th and he takes the time to make a phone call to someone he doesnt know just to help make their situation just a little better. I didnt ask Buzz what they talked about, I hope some day he feels like sharing but at the same time it is none of my concern. He did tell me Bobby told him that he can call or text him any time he wants to talk.

This isnt my story to share, and I debated about posting or not. But at the end of the day it was something I did want to post. This is why Bobby Ryan is my kids and mine's favorite player. This one selfless act made my pal's day. With so much focus put on a players performance on the ice I wanted to share some of the good that happens off the ice, something we dont hear about every day. 3 days after learning of the phone call I am still full of happy emotion knowing what was done for my friend!!!!! So this is my little shout out to Bobby Ryan, truly a class act human being.
    Bobby Ryan NON 1/1 PC 1280/1339 95.6%
    Aidan Dudas NON 1/1 PC 47/47 100%!!!!!
    Nick Suzuki PC 152 cards
    Wayne Gretzky PC 1593 cards
    Wade Boggs PC 359 cards
    Tony Gwynn PC 187 cards
    Derek Jeter PC 90 cards

SCF Rewards
    Country

Thanks for sharing this story and best of luck going forward for your friend. I'm rooting for him. I've always liked Bobby Ryan as a player and this really shows what a good guy he is. Again...thanks for sharing your story and I hope everything turns our for you and your friend.

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    CnC (21)
    Country
    Toronto Maple Leafs Calgary Flames NULL
    Twitter: @@creasecollector Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack My traders on Flickr

What a great story of a great gesture from Bobby. Thank you for sharing this. Hoping the best for Buzz.
    Jhonas Enroth Card Collector & Host of the Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    View my Hidden Content | My Hidden Content | Complete Hidden Content | Card Blog Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country

Great story. Thanks for sharing

SCF Rewards
    Country

That is a great story. Best of luck to Buzz. I once had Mariano Rivera come to my house and we talked life and some sports. Highlight of my life (even though I'm a Red Sox fan)
    I collect vintage in all sports and rookies. However, I do love any Red Sox, Bears, Penguins or Celtics that I need for PC! Need 1959 Topps Baseball cards for a set (ending stages). My cards come from smoke free environment, so please be upfront if your cards are not. Also if your cards are creased or bent, be honest about it.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Ottawa Senators
    See atmx093's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

What class! Bobby is not just a great hockey player, he's also a great human being with a very moving story. With all the hardships he's gone through, he could have easily given up and turned into a very different man. I feel very proud to have him on my team. :)

Assistant General Manager

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

It always nice when players take the time to do little things like this. Many players do little things like this but usually all we hear about are the times they acted like a ™™™™™™™ and not the little things that can make someone day a life changing event. Thanks for sharing and best of luck to your friend in his fight.

DON