Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

Exclamation DAK PRESCOTT, MODERN SPORTSCARD VALUES and the SERIOUSNESS of FRAUD!

I believe what Dak Prescott did, in passing off auto-pen forgeries as legitimate autographs is a CRIME and I am a little disturbed at how lightly ESPN, Colin Cowherd and others are taking this matter. Does anyone else feel the same?

I just don't understand how what Dak did is any different than what forgers who were busted by the FBI under "Operation Bullpen" did?

Please see:

https://archives.fbi.gov/archives/ne...llpen-overview

http://www.sportscollectorsdaily.com...ver-gone-away/

http://www.operationbullpen.com/

I recently heard from a card dealer that I trust that a Derek Carr Contenders "Super Bowl Ticket" recently sold for $75,000. I tracked down the owner of the card and had a decent chat with him and from what I understand he has invested a massive amount of funds in his Carr collection, well exceeding the aforementioned $75,000.

I bring this up as I believe sportscards for many are investments and basically "stocks" and if someone forged stock certificates or passed off stocks that were illegitimate, such a person wouldn't just be sued in civil court, but prosecuted for criminal action as well, and to my knowledge there isn't a single share of a company on earth worth $75,000 so this is a big deal and nothing to laugh about!

I'm not sure if it's only Dak's Prizm cards that have forged autos on them or not, but what happens if someone pays $75,000 for his National Treasures auto'd shield rpa ... and then months later finds out THAT signtaure is an autopen? My guess is that owner would go berserk and sue both Dak and Panini ... and that would definitely get the attention of the "talking heads" at ESPN!

Honestly, while I love my Jameis "holy trinity" of the NT auto shield RPA, Topps Chrome auto base RC Superfractor and Contenders auto base RC Super Bowl Ticket ... four of my favorite items are those I was able to get Jameis to sign IN-PERSON and with Beckett or JSA "witnesses" on hand, like the following card:

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See kyle12162000's Items on eBay

Reason #1001 to hate the Dallas Cowgirls
    The biggest question for the upcoming season is will the Cowgirls have convicts or more all-pros. The early results is leaning toward convicts.

SCF Rewards
    Country

I am beginning to question why I should even bust boxes or cases...

SCF Rewards
    Country

Actually why even be a fan if the players just think we r dumb enough to accept an auto pen or rubber stamp. Just another case of millionaires taking a dump on the people that made them millionaires.

SCF Rewards
    Country

I just don't understand how what Dak did is any different than what forgers who were busted by the FBI under "Operation Bullpen" did?

One is famous while the others are not. He is a QB on the Cowboys so he gets certain privileges that aren't given to normal citizens.
    Selling All My Cards Here------>Hidden Content

Baseball Autograph and Game Used Only Trade Page: pwaldo.webs.com/
    //s123.photobucket.com/albums/o299/pwaldo/

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Seattle Seahawks
    See Swiggy56's Items on eBay

Some players don't like to sign autographs because they don't want them to be sold. Yet, they are more than happy to sign items at a paid signing or for card companies. Why? The money. To me, when a player gives a scribble, short graph or a quick graph, they not only are disrespecting the person wanting it, but they are disrespecting themselves as well. Because of other players and their handlers/agent, they think all people wanting their autograph are gonna sell it. I don't think they really think about that there are collectors who just want it for their pc.

This story with Dak and Panini.... yea it's a big deal. Whether Dak had knowledge of it at the beginning, who knows. For all anyone knows, Panini could have done it and got caught. It comes into question of the ethics of Dak and Panini. Dak might not have cared at the time cuz he was getting money or Panini was trying to pull shade and hope no one would notice.

I have often wondered if all the autographs that Panini, Topps, Upper Deck etc... were real. The same goes with the relics. I have always wondered if the jersey pieces were actually worn by that specific player, or are a majority just everyday jerseys that have been cut and placed in the cards. If that were the case, imagine all the money these companies have made by "guaranteeing" the authenticity of the relics, only to be frauding everyone. On top of that, think of all the money we as collectors/sellers have spent buying these cards.

My pc is my investment, my passion. Whether it's collecting Seahawks relic cards, 1/1's or my autographed jerseys, mini helmets and footballs. Could these things over time bring in decent money later on in life if i had to let them go, maybe. I would like to pass the stuff down to my kid(s) (if i have them) so they could continue my passion. If not, then they could sell them (as long as I'm already gone, otherwise it would send me to the grave lol).

Maybe all the relics are 100% real. Maybe 98% of the autographs are real. Who really knows for sure. I bet people will now look closer at their collections and future pack openings. Hopefully this drama will bring Panini back to earth.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

One is famous while the others are not. He is a QB on the Cowboys so he gets certain privileges that aren't given to normal citizens.

Sad but true ... justice is supposed to be blind, yet, sadly that is not the case ..

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

This story with Dak and Panini.... yea it's a big deal. Whether Dak had knowledge of it at the beginning, who knows. For all anyone knows, Panini could have done it and got caught. It comes into question of the ethics of Dak and Panini. Dak might not have cared at the time cuz he was getting money or Panini was trying to pull shade and hope no one would notice.

I would be shocked if Panini used an autopen ... they pay these players money and sign them to legally binding contracts that stipulate those players MUST sign the required number of cards, so I am 99.9999999999% certain that it was Dak who was acting like the criminal.

I have often wondered if all the autographs that Panini, Topps, Upper Deck etc... were real. The same goes with the relics. I have always wondered if the jersey pieces were actually worn by that specific player, or are a majority just everyday jerseys that have been cut and placed in the cards. If that were the case, imagine all the money these companies have made by "guaranteeing" the authenticity of the relics, only to be frauding everyone. On top of that, think of all the money we as collectors/sellers have spent buying these cards.

Nearly all relics in cards today are merely claimed to be "event worn" or "player worn" ... basically no rookie cards contain actual "game worn" relics. That is one of the reasons that American flag patch Jameis card is one of my favorites as it's certified to actually be "game worn" with the exact game and date given on the back of the card.

My pc is my investment, my passion. Whether it's collecting Seahawks relic cards, 1/1's or my autographed jerseys, mini helmets and footballs. Could these things over time bring in decent money later on in life if i had to let them go, maybe. I would like to pass the stuff down to my kid(s) (if i have them) so they could continue my passion. If not, then they could sell them (as long as I'm already gone, otherwise it would send me to the grave lol).

You and I seem to have very similar goals and I wish you nothing but the best with your collection/investment.

Maybe all the relics are 100% real. Maybe 98% of the autographs are real. Who really knows for sure. I bet people will now look closer at their collections and future pack openings. Hopefully this drama will bring Panini back to earth.

I agree and the only good saving grace in this mess was that Steve Grad and BGS caught the auto-pen sigs and refused to authenticate them!

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Seattle Seahawks
    See Swiggy56's Items on eBay

Nearly all relics in cards today are merely claimed to be "event worn" or "player worn" ... basically no rookie cards contain actual "game worn" relics. That is one of the reasons that American flag patch Jameis card is one of my favorites as it's certified to actually be "game worn" with the exact game and date given on the back of the card.

I personally don't care if the relics were "game worn". I just care that relics were worn/used at some point by the player. I just picked up a Marcus Trufant card with a piece of his jersey in it. On the back, it shows a pic of the jersey itself. Even has the date and says it was worn at an event. That is cool to me. Wish they did that more today.

(I haven't quite figured out the reply with quote yet lol)
    Last edited by swiggy56; 07-09-2017 at 05:02 PM.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

I personally don't care if the relics were "game worn". I just care that relics were worn/used at some point by the player. I just picked up a Marcus Trufant card with a piece of his jersey in it. On the back, it shows a pic of the jersey itself. Even has the date and says it was worn at an event. That is cool to me. Wish they did that more today.

(I haven't quite figured out the reply with quote yet lol)

I understand and I agree with you. I certainly don't mind event-worn or player-worn cards either ... I'd prefer all relics be game-worn, but as long as the relic was actually "on" the player, it is still super cool!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast