Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Poll: Will Drew Bledsoe EVER get into the HOF?

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

Question Will Drew Bledsoe EVER Get into the HOF?

Folks are debating this on another site and I thought I'd pose the question here.

Personally I was a massive Bledsoe fan and still love the dude and feel he's quite under-rated as I think most fans remember little more than him being replaced by Brady which is unfortunate.

As for what Drew accomplished. When he retired he was 5th ALL-TIME in attempts and completions, 7th ALL-TIME in yards and 13th ALL-TIME in TDs. He was also a 4x Pro Bowler and at one time held the record for most passing yards in a season for two different franchises (Pats and Bills).

And, while I don't think "team success" should factor into whether a QB makes the HOF as a QB doesn't block for himself or catch his own passes, let alone play defense, it is notable that Bledsoe went 4-3 in the playoffs, won two conference title games and earned a ring (albeit as a backup).

All of the above said ... I personally think Bledsoe is every bit as deserving of a HOF spot as many other players already enshrined as when he retired he ranked high in the record books and he also won two Conference title games ... however, whereas "time" may help some players make it into the HOF, I have a feeling the longer Bledsoe has to wait the worse his chances become as the game has evolved and QBs are putting up bigger numbers now, so 10+ years from now, Bledsoe's stats will look even less impressive than they do now.

However, Pro Football Reference has Drew ranked as the 98th most accomplished player in NFL history, tied with HOF QB Terry Bradshaw and ahead of the following HOF QB's: Jim Kelly, Roger Staubach, Troy Aikman, Ken Stabler, Joe Namath, Bart Starr and Kurt Warner ... however all but Jim Kelly won at least one ring as the starting QB unlike Bledsoe.

The above said, I feel Jim Kelly is the best comparison and the guy Bledsoe may need to match to finally get into the HOF ...

Kelly was a 5 time Pro Bowler while Bledsoe was a 4 time Pro Bowler
    Kelly was a 1 time 1st team All-Pro while Bledsoe never made an All-Pro team
    Kelly won 4 Conference Titles while Bledsoe won two
    Kellly never won a ring while Bledsoe won a ring as a backup QB (albeit one that led his team to the conference title)

All of the above said, what do YOU think ... will Drew Bledsoe ever get into the HOF? Why or why not?

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Pittsburgh Steelers Pittsburgh Penguins Pittsburgh Pirates
    See shortprinted's Items on eBay Instagram:

No. Fair or not, he got replaced by Tom Brady and replaced by Tony Romo who might not get in the HOF himself. How could he wear a jacket in the same room as the guy(s) who took his job?

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

No. Fair or not, he got replaced by Tom Brady and replaced by Tony Romo who might not get in the HOF himself. How could he wear a jacket in the same room as the guy(s) who took his job?

You make a valid point, especially as the voters are human and will have their biases.

However, Montana was "replaced" by Young, Favre was "replaced" by Rodgers, Brees was "replaced" and flat out "dumped" for Rivers, etc ... and yet Montana, Favre and Brees are or will all be first ballot HOF'ers ...

I'd be happy if Bledsoe gets into the hall one day but I don't think it will happen ... and wouldn't even say it "should" happen per se.

SCF Rewards
    Country

No and that's coming from somebody who thought he would have a shot before. I remember a debate on here about Romo and after looking up Bledsoe's stats they aren't great enough to make it. Maybe when he retired or was playing his numbers were good enough but overtime they look pedestrian next to a lot of guys playing now that won't make it.
    Selling All My Cards Here------>Hidden Content

Baseball Autograph and Game Used Only Trade Page: pwaldo.webs.com/
    //s123.photobucket.com/albums/o299/pwaldo/

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

No and that's coming from somebody who thought he would have a shot before. I remember a debate on here about Romo and after looking up Bledsoe's stats they aren't great enough to make it. Maybe when he retired or was playing his numbers were good enough but overtime they look pedestrian next to a lot of guys playing now that won't make it.

Honestly, comparing stats from players of different eras is nonsensical ... Bledsoe was top 7 all-time when he retired in yards, comps, attempts and 13th all-time in TD's ... that's solid.

By the time Matt Stafford retires, barring injury he will probably be the all-time leader in yards but that won't mean anyone will ever view him as greater than a guy like Marino as they played in different eras.

Bledsoe's stats blow HOF'ers like Joe Namath and Terry Bradshaw out of the water but that doesn't mean anything ... in the same way it doesn't mean much if Tony Romo's stats are better than Bledsoe as they were playing in different eras.

Even RB stats will have to be completely re-evaluated by future HOF voters as most RB's share carries now or are more dynamic in the passing game and simply don't get 20-25 carries game in and game out ...

WR's the same thing ... 80 catches in 1990 is probably equivalent to 100 catches today ... stats change and the only sensible thing is to measure players against their contemporaries.

I still maintain that Otto Graham was BY FAR the greatest QB ever and there isn't even a close 2nd ... but even a sorry player like Jay Cutler's "stats" blow Otto's away as the game is soooo different now than it was when Otto was playing.

Transferred Feedback
    TCC(1874)
    Country
    Penn State Nittany Lions Kansas City Royals
    Twitter: @rtsjr1 See thebusfan's Items on eBay

hof is for great players sorry Bledsoe was good not great

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Pittsburgh Steelers Pittsburgh Penguins Pittsburgh Pirates
    See shortprinted's Items on eBay Instagram:

Even RB stats will have to be completely re-evaluated by future HOF voters as most RB's share carries now or are more dynamic in the passing game and simply don't get 20-25 carries game in and game out ...

I think TD getting enshrined this year will help future RBs that have injuries and/or pass happy offenses. It will be interesting to see in the next 10 or 20 years if alot of WR start getting in and we go several years in between RB selections.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

I think TD getting enshrined this year will help future RBs that have injuries and/or pass happy offenses. It will be interesting to see in the next 10 or 20 years if alot of WR start getting in and we go several years in between RB selections.

Good post and I agree with you.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Army
    See 529mi's Items on eBay

No, good , but as already opinioned, not great

New Member Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Boston Red Sox Philadelphia Eagles Philadelphia Flyers
    Send PayPal to Rybowski Member is PayPal Verified

If the Hall was called the "Hall of Very Good", he would be in. Just compared to other top tier QB's in his generation, he doesn't have a chance of getting in. I was a big fan when it was him and Curtis Martin doing their thing up there in New England, but he won't ever get in.