Thread: CHL Cards

CHL Cards

With LEAF letting their CHL license go, what is the future for collectors who like the WHL, OHL, and QMJHL?

As a super collector of the Red Deer Rebels (WHL), I am sad to see that there will be no more Rebs cards to chase after. I think that the fanbase created by ITG and LEAF was strong but perhaps not strong enough to warrant major premium releases. It would be nice to see a set (similar to an OPC 'every player' release) for the CHL.

Would a low-end product for the CHL work? Would this be snapped up by player and team collectors... and the rest (99%) of the production run abandoned on shelves?

CHL products have a few drawbacks against them to make them collectible across the Hobby.

1) There are only a handful of "superstars" in the league at any time
    2) The shelf life of a product is limited. Meaning, once the super star junior player moves onto the NHL, interest is lost in their minor league mem/autos.
    3) There were only 2 "Hot" years of H&P; 05-06 (Crosby) and 12-13 (MacKinnon, Drouin, McDavid)

A lot of OHL teams have team sets and auto'ed binder sets. I think this is the way to go. Most CHL collectors are primarily focused on their local home teams. Myself, I pick up the Kitchener Rangers autograph binder every year. They are /250, and even then they usually discount extras going into the new season due to lack of interest.

An OPC style product for the CHL?

In my opinion, it would be a flop. Little to no interest.

If you made 3 smaller releases (one for each league) is might work, but even then it would be a stretch.

Red Deer cards probably do quite well in Red Deer. They probably do significantly less well in Regina... and you probably couldn't give away a Red Deer team set in Shawinigan (not picking on the Rebels... same would be true of any team).

Superstars are going to be appealing to collectors across the spectrum (McDavid ITG Base cards were selling for $10+ when those were the only cards available of him). Guys right as they're drafted - there will be a short spree on them (people chase after the player their team picked in the 1st Round... the #1 pick, that sort of thing) - but other than that, I don't think there's much appealing about a big all-inclusive CHL release.

I wonder if UD will pick them up and do a few releases a year. It would certainly lock up the hockey market in US/CAN. Plus if they can do some timeline type cards with patches from their junior days to their NHL teams, it could be some nicer stuff.

If UD Picks it up I can see it being a one product deal like the AHL, no memorabilia, a few bigger name signatures and probably only 1-3 players per team due to the amount of teams.

But on the flip side owning the CHL, AHL and NHL rights could allow them to produce cards within other sets depicting a player in his journey from CHL to AHL to NHL. Designed similar to Panini limited travels cards or ITG Making the Bigs and others.

But as far as having a CHL product I can only think it would be like they do with the AHL.
    PCs: Brian Elliott, Alex Pietrangelo, Vladimir Tarasenko, Colton Parayko

Currently Looking for 2006-07 ITG Making the Bigs Mike Glumac Gold and Silver Jersey Cards and The Cup Mike Glumac Printing Plates.

Would love to see an all goalies type set with all 3 licenses