Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Tampa Bay Rays New England Patriots Boston Bruins

Mariota isn't as bad as Winston but he's still not good

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

^ Silly

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

Here is a very well-written and in-depth article on why Mariota has regressed so drastically:

The section on his mediocre arm talent limiting what throws he can make and being the reason the Titans shrink the line of scrimmage, get sacked a lot, etc., is solid analysis and what I said when he was entering the draft … it's hard for QBs with limited arm talent as they simply can't make all the throws other QBs can make and therefore the defense doesn't even have to defend certain sections of the field … casual fans just assume every NFL QB can make every throw every other NFL QB can make, and that simply isn't the case, some guys (Mariota, Dak, Alex Smith, etc) simply don't have the arm talent necessary for their coordinators to even call various plays … however that doesn't mean such QBs can't carve out successful careers for themselves in the right systems and with the right supporting cast, as Alex Smith has done.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Minnesota Vikings Houston Rockets Los Angeles Dodgers

What happened to this kid?

... what is wrong with Marcus?

I love Mariota ...

Calm down...obviously wrecking the league up last two weeks one in prime time on the road and one against GOAT...

so nothing

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

I'm thrilled for Marcus and he played very well last week and solid the week before (I wasn't as impressed with his Cowboys game though as his two TD passes were both behind the line of scrimmage screen passes which are basically runs, and the one wide-open TD pass he could have had, he missed) and I hope he can keep it up.

I predicted the Titans would make the playoffs last season and this season before the start of the season … the team has the #1 defense in the entire NFL and has a very well-built roster.

HOWEVER, if I was Marcus, I'd be a bit irked by Dion Lewis as I think it's a decent bet that the Titans will earn the #6 seed (if they don't win the division over the Texans) and face the Patriots (#3 seed) in the 1st round of the playoffs, and Dion just went off on the Patriots after the Titans win last week … I doubt Brady & Bellichick forget that ...

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

CONGRATS to Marcus for playing a wonderful game tonight! He seems to really be coming into his own and fulfilling my prediction that he could be Alex Smith 2.0, which is nothing to sneeze at considering his limited arm talent and the fact that Alex Smith has had a long career filled with some magnificent seasons and was even a strong MVP candidate last season.

I saw one guy on Twitter flipping out about the "passer rating" stat as Marcus' passer rating was awesome tonight, and this guy thought it was "junk" ... his (@2mileshigh) tweet stated:

"
    Marcus Mariota just posted one of the hollowest stat lines I've ever seen:

22/23 for 303 yds, 2 TD, 0 INT, 147.7 PR

Yet....only 10 first downs, 6 sacks for 43 yards, and a fumble.
    His 61 yard TD pass traveled 2 yards in the air with 59 YAC.

Passer rating must die.
    "

I kindly explained to him that he would greatly prefer the QBR stat as it is a "comprehensive stat" that takes EVERYTHING into account and while Mariota had a great passer rating, his QBR was actually a well below average 43.2, which will help this fella understand the difference between passer rating and QBR.

HOWEVER … I don't care that Marcus' QBR was only 43.2 … the young man played like a prime Alex Smith tonight and I believe that is what the Titans want him to do and what will give them the best chance to win games … they just ran into a hot team, playing at home, and got beat … the loss wasn't on Marcus by any stretch of the imagination.

Also, some Titans fans are screaming for the team to draft more offensive weapons for Marcus … imho such fans don't understand … as Marcus is a "game-manager", the best thing the team can do for him is continue to build their defense into a dominant unit, not draft him more WRs … their blueprint for success is Marcus playing efficient ball as a game-manager, running the ball down the other team's throat and having a nasty D … yes, Alex Smith played his best ball when he had Kansas City's nasty weapons but that team always fizzled out in the playoffs and I believe he could have gotten further, maybe even to a Super Bowl had he had a truly dominant defense behind him … and I believe the same thing about Mariota.

Regardless, tonight was a great night for Marcus and I'm happy for the young man!

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

Mariota's future is in serious jeopardy ... if not his NFL future (nerve damage issues), at least his future in Tennessee.

I was disgusted to see a ton of Titans fans demanding he be cut tonight, all because he missed another game with injury ... that is absurd! The word is, another hit could have left him with lifetime nerve damage! He was OBVIOUSLY wise not to play and no one should be ripping him for not playing.

However, Mike Vrabel strikes me as an absolutely no-nonsense coach and I doubt he has any real "emotional ties" to Mariota, so while I don't think the Titans should or will just "cut" Mariota to draft some rookie QB in the middle of the draft (like Will Grier or Drew Lock or Daniel Jones, etc) who could be a complete bust, what if a guy like Nick Foles wants to sign with the Titans? If that happens, I could see the Titans cutting Mariota, as the Titans are built to WIN NOW and Foles might be the right guy, with a championship pedigree and who is a much better pure passer than Mariota, to lead the Titans to the promised land ... who knows?

On Twitter I had said the Titans should be able to get at least a 2nd and 5th round pick for Mariota, however I may have been a little hasty saying that, as Foles may only get $15-18m a year and Teddy Bridgewater may only get $8-12m a year, and there are some "okay" QBs in the draft this year, so there may not be a team that would be willing to take Mariota on, on a mere 1 year deal, with his hefty $20m+ option, so I guess it is possible that the Titans could "cut" him, especially if they get a Foles, Bridgewater, etc.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234