Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Why don't teams allow outside items for autograph signings

I just don't get why at autograph signings players aren't allowed to sign jerseys/balls/etc brought by fans, instead it's usually a very cheap 5x7 photo.

Seems to be the case even for players whose signatures aren't worth much.

BANNED

Blog Entries
    Country
    Twitter: @Varietyofcards See Weekendwarriorsportscards's Items on eBay

Keep it simple?

If allowed there would probably be a lot more to keep up with overall

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    Bench (219)
    Country
    See collectorskip's Items on eBay

Back in the day when I frequented local card shows and they had someone signing, I often sought autos. This may be a different scenario than what you are talking about, but from my experience, it could be several reasons:
    1.) $. They sell you the photo and increase their revenue;
    2.) Time which = volume. Much easier to sign a flat photo than some irregularly shaped object (think bat, ball, etc), which means they can get more people through the line;
    3.) Particularity. By this I mean, some players just don't like signing stuff other than photos. I remember an announcement that Joe DiMaggio (yes, I was at a local show where the Yankee Clipper AND The Mick were both signing!!!) would not sign bats.
    Just my thoughts.
    And I don't mean to sound cynical. I had some great experiences at those shows where the signers took their time, talked to you a bit and really seemed to enjoy what they were doing. I also had some great experiences years ago when we lived in Pleasantville, NY, during the time that the NY Football Giants trained at Pace. Almost all of them (except LT) were happy to sign. In fact, my Dad (God rest him) used to carry aroung a pocket notepad and pen and if/when he ran into one of them in town, he'd just bring it out and have them sign. I have a football signed by all of the '86 Giants (save LT) that he got!
    Skip

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Arizona Coyotes Detroit Red Wings Michigan State Spartans
    Twitter: @chisparty07 Upper Deck ePack
    Member is PayPal Verified

I think it's also a way to control for people bringing their Patrick Marleau sharks items to a Maple Leafs event. By providing a 5x7 you control. For instance, Detroit Red Wings players will sign every autograph you send (along with the proper check for Charity) but their rules are it has to be a card, photo, etc in a red wings uniform or approved red wings event. I have a cool USA Hockey card of Abdelkader that I would like to send in, but I don't think it would be approved as it's not a "red wings" card

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

I always bring other items just in case they relax the policy. Even though it states "no outside items", it can't hurt to ask once you get there. If you are near the front of the line you may have a better chance to get an outside item signed as well. If they charge for the photo, you may be able to ask if you can buy the photo but get one of your items signed instead. You could also try and (politely) get the athlete on the way out of the signing.

Also, if the line is really short and there is a point in time where nobody is in line waiting for the autograph, you may be able to ask and get your additional item signed then.

Mike