Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Hockey Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens Toronto Blue Jays San Francisco 49ers
    Twitter: @@RealRGM81 See price31collector's Items on eBay Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

Anyone think this would be better held on a Sat or Sun? Prob better on Sunday.

I’m not around at all Sundays to run it as I have my football club.

Sent from my iPhone using Sports Card Forum mobile app
    Habs fan and collector! Main PC's: Carey Price, Nick Suzuki, Cole Caufield, Juraj Slafkovsky, and of course...

Hidden Content Hidden Content ! 254 Unique Cards + 23 1/1's!!!

Participate in our Hidden Content , sponsored by Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (28)
    Country
    Toronto Maple Leafs
    See anth-toop's Items on eBay

I’m not around at all Sundays to run it as I have my football club.

Friday is a work day/school day and therefore it is technically not "the weekend" per se. Saturday and Sunday are generally days that people don't work at all, so that's your weekend. There are jobs/professions where this differs (big shout out to all who do work on Saturdays and Sundays!) but Saturday/Sunday is generally the weekend. Many times, after work/school on Friday, people head out for the weekend. Sunday is when they return and wind down. Sunday is the best option in my opinion as well.

There's nobody else on staff that would be willing to run this? If not (and I hate to say this), but perhaps this Pay It Forward idea was great in theory (coolest idea ever, really) but impractical to implement in terms of timing.
    Last edited by Leafsman; 12-08-2017 at 07:27 PM.

Hockey Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Twitter: @@RealRGM81 See price31collector's Items on eBay Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

The group on Facebook run it on Wednesday and Sunday. We can’t really overlap theirs.

I like to control my projects and if I’m not around to check progress at all, I’m wary of it. Saturday may be an option going forward but it will depend on my family time. I do like spending time with my wife and there’s only so much weekend to go around.

Sent from my iPhone using SportsCardForum

Hockey Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country

I mean these threads are generating literally hundreds of views. People are here and seeing them. They’re just not jumping on stuff. If a thread is getting 700+ views a day I can’t really buy into the “nobody has time to look” argument much. I get what you guys are saying but the results suggest that with some better profile cards things happen. Look how fast that Okposo went this morning and how fast the Habs pack went when I launched.

I want this thing to succeed and I’m open to ideas but we’ve all got personal time commitments and as was noted above there’s no “perfect time” when people magically have time to hit up SCF all day.

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (28)
    Country
    Toronto Maple Leafs

I mean these threads are generating literally hundreds of views. People are here and seeing them. They’re just not jumping on stuff. If a thread is getting 700+ views a day I can’t really buy into the “nobody has time to look” argument much. I get what you guys are saying but the results suggest that with some better profile cards things happen. Look how fast that Okposo went this morning and how fast the Habs pack went when I launched.

I want this thing to succeed and I’m open to ideas but we’ve all got personal time commitments and as was noted above there’s no “perfect time” when people magically have time to hit up SCF all day.

If you post a card that you know a certain collector will like, it will move quickly. That's a good bet.

You mentioned that the site is getting plenty of views but no claims, and that offering higher-profile cards would help. Not necessarily.

You have to take into account that different collectors have different tastes and different budgets.

If you are a high-end collector and you annually buy high-end products, posting "better cards" is no issue. If you collect for the fun of it and don't bust or trade for higher-end stuff, you may not have a card available that meets the qualification for this thread. Then inclusion becomes a problem because a person might see a card they need, but they have nothing at the time that qualifies as a "good card" ($30 BV/$20 SV) to post if they claim it. They can't claim that card that would be part of their PC.

Perhaps budget isn't a problem but instead it's a matter of what they collect. Most people on here have specific collection goals. Someone might post a Jonathan Toews card but the collectors who see it aren't collectors of the Blackhawks or Jonathan Toews. Why would they claim it? It would only become very good trade bait (which, I believe, you said is NOT the point of PIF).

As for me, I mainly collect SP Authentic rookies of star players and certain Toronto Maple Leafs stuff if it's cool. I don't expect to see an Auston Matthews, Carey Price, or Vladimir Tarasenko FWA offered out of the goodness of someone's heart (which might be the only way I could afford either of those LOL).

So what to do?

Hockey Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country

LOL if we get a Senko FWA posted here somebody is definitely candidate for member of the month.

Like you say, it’s a tough thing at times to either part with that type of card from your trade box and for others it’s not “worth it” to them. Is there a happy medium somewhere in there? Maybe but we don’t want to price out anybody by boosting minimums to the point that it becomes less fun for people because they simply don’t have that $40-$50 Card to pull and give away. I’m not expecting anyone here to go above their means or pilfer their own PC, and I would equally suspect that superstar cards will be scarce simply because they’re always easy to move.

FWIW, I don’t often jump in the Keepers PIF myself. I watch and I see some cool stuff but it’s rare that people post up cards I would want. Obviously I’m pretty particular and so are a lot of others. But the idea is supposed to be fun. If I see a Carbonneau or other guy that isn’t my top PC tier and nobody jumps on it i will just to add something new to the collection and then turn around and give one out right back. That to me is the real spirit of the thing. I don’t want to see people after forty minutes staring at a card going “uggh fine Claim” because we want it to be positives all around. Give as good as we get and all that.

Where possible I like to make regular use of the tagging function to give people the heads up. Not always easy as I don’t know everyone’s specific collection but ya never know right.

Depending on my schedule next week I’ll mull the idea of Saturday. I certainly wouldn’t mind an excuse to not have to go Xmas shopping.

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (28)
    Country
    Toronto Maple Leafs

LOL if we get a Senko FWA posted here somebody is definitely candidate for member of the month.

Like you say, it’s a tough thing at times to either part with that type of card from your trade box and for others it’s not “worth it” to them. Is there a happy medium somewhere in there? Maybe but we don’t want to price out anybody by boosting minimums to the point that it becomes less fun for people because they simply don’t have that $40-$50 Card to pull and give away. I’m not expecting anyone here to go above their means or pilfer their own PC, and I would equally suspect that superstar cards will be scarce simply because they’re always easy to move.

FWIW, I don’t often jump in the Keepers PIF myself. I watch and I see some cool stuff but it’s rare that people post up cards I would want. Obviously I’m pretty particular and so are a lot of others. But the idea is supposed to be fun. If I see a Carbonneau or other guy that isn’t my top PC tier and nobody jumps on it i will just to add something new to the collection and then turn around and give one out right back. That to me is the real spirit of the thing. I don’t want to see people after forty minutes staring at a card going “uggh fine Claim” because we want it to be positives all around. Give as good as we get and all that.

Where possible I like to make regular use of the tagging function to give people the heads up. Not always easy as I don’t know everyone’s specific collection but ya never know right.

Depending on my schedule next week I’ll mull the idea of Saturday. I certainly wouldn’t mind an excuse to not have to go Xmas shopping.

You gotta shop! Santa can't do it all himself! I have my shopping almost completed, but I delegate LOL.

Many people make the mistake of thinking I only collect Maple Leafs cards. That, as I said, is not true. I mainly collect SP Authentic rookies (but I would accept other decent rookies) of star players. Autographed jersey cards are a side project.

Assistant General Manager

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

Richard,
    I check my e-mail before I go to work so I got the notification and seen the Ken Morrow card that Scott originally put up. My problem is like others Friday is not the best for me. As once I walk into the plant I do very little with my phone as the internet stinks in the plant. I totally agree with you wanting to control the contest as you have time to devote to it and that way you can control what is going on. The other option is to find someone who would want to run it on the day you need to spend with the family if other members think it would be ututlized more on a Saturday etc. At least your making the thread a reality and are not just talking about it like many ideas that never make it on the forums. Keep it up.

DOn

SCF Rewards
    Country

Simple solution.. let RGM81 run the Friday pay it forward, someone else start their own on Saturday or Sunday. Or possibly even Do a trial run on a different day to see which is more viable. Even though no one has posted any Schultz.. yet.... being at work, I’m unable to check in other than at lunch or after work.

Hockey Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country

Simple solution.. let RGM81 run the Friday pay it forward, someone else start their own on Saturday or Sunday. Or possibly even Do a trial run on a different day to see which is more viable. Even though no one has posted any Schultz.. yet.... being at work, I’m unable to check in other than at lunch or after work.

No. This would have to be run by staff in order to ensure accountability.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast