Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Assistant General Manager

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

Only God knows why: NHL's announcement of Kid Rock all-star performance gets icy reaction

The NHL proudly announced Tuesday its headlining entertainer for the league’s All-Star Game, to be played in Tampa on Jan. 28. Apparently, more than a few fans felt that “Only God Knows Why” the league went with Kid Rock.

In other words, plenty of folks were willing to give the NHL “All Summer Long” to come up with a more relevant, less polarizing act. Those have been references to Kid Rock’s hit songs, by the way. “Bawitdaba,” anyone?

http://torontosun.com/sports/hockey/...s-icy-reaction

Hockey Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens Toronto Blue Jays San Francisco 49ers
    Twitter: @@RealRGM81 See price31collector's Items on eBay Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

Truly a horrible choice. I'm in a contest to win tickets and a trip to the ASG this Sunday, and this announcement really dampens my enthusiasm. Kid Rock sucks. He is also neither a kid nor does he rock.
    Habs fan and collector! Main PC's: Carey Price, Nick Suzuki, Cole Caufield, Juraj Slafkovsky, and of course...

Hidden Content Hidden Content ! 254 Unique Cards + 23 1/1's!!!

Participate in our Hidden Content , sponsored by Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Assistant General Manager

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

Truly a horrible choice. I'm in a contest to win tickets and a trip to the ASG this Sunday, and this announcement really dampens my enthusiasm. Kid Rock sucks. He is also neither a kid nor does he rock.

Well hope you win.

I wonder how much it does with factors such as what the NHL pays, being a hockey event, etc?

Don

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Edmonton Oilers Toronto Blue Jays Hamilton Tiger Cats
    See 30Ranfordfan's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

I'd go as far as to say (over the years) there's even been songs that Kid Rock made that I liked (even if I never thought much of him).

The NHL - it's hard for them to find American celebrities (especially musicians) that actually like hockey... so they'll (clearly) take anyone.

Linking yourself to a man that waves the confederate flag isn't something I'd suggest if I were in a PR role though.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Terrible choice.

Sad when the Predators can have a better singer/band each night during home playoffs games.
    The NHL had a whole year to find someone, and it's a signer who has not been relevant for 10 years or so.

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (28)
    Country
    Toronto Maple Leafs
    See anth-toop's Items on eBay

I have the best choice of all - banish the all-star weekend altogether and just give teams those few days off.

The all-star game has been a joke for many years. The only thing I will say that I even remotely enjoy about that weekend is the skills competition, and I only enjoy a select few events (fastest skater, accuracy shooting, and the hardest shot). The rest of the stuff can be seen during any given game.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens
    Twitter: @MTLSimon11

Politics aside (and yes, that is an issue as well), Kid Rock just blows. Why not just bring in Nickelback and admit the whole thing is a joke.

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    CnC (21)
    Country
    Toronto Maple Leafs Calgary Flames NULL
    Twitter: @@creasecollector Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack My traders on Flickr

The Skills comp is barely hanging on for me, in terms of me watching it. I don't think I've watched the All-Star Game in years. It reminds me of my shinny hockey league. No defence. Goals, goals, goals...
    Jhonas Enroth Card Collector & Host of the Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    View my Hidden Content | My Hidden Content | Complete Hidden Content | Card Blog Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country

I see a lot of people saying he sucks but I still haven't seen a single person in this thread offer an actual replacement for him. It is easy to be a whiner who offers no solution to the actual problem but it is very hard to actually come forth with a pick for somebody who you think is better since it opens you up to criticism.

I don't really know what the goal of NHL was when they picked him but if they did to draw attention to the event they certainly did. I've never seen so many people talk about the performer at an NHL event before. Hell any sporting event before.
    Selling All My Cards Here------>Hidden Content

Baseball Autograph and Game Used Only Trade Page: pwaldo.webs.com/
    //s123.photobucket.com/albums/o299/pwaldo/

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens
    Twitter: @MTLSimon11

I see a lot of people saying he sucks but I still haven't seen a single person in this thread offer an actual replacement for him. It is easy to be a whiner who offers no solution to the actual problem but it is very hard to actually come forth with a pick for somebody who you think is better since it opens you up to criticism.

I don't really know what the goal of NHL was when they picked him but if they did to draw attention to the event they certainly did. I've never seen so many people talk about the performer at an NHL event before. Hell any sporting event before.

Nobody watches the ASG for the musical act, and I don't think Kid Rock is going to get anybody sitting on the fence to say, "Yeah, I'm in!" I would suggest perhaps some lesser known acts who may appreciate and benefit from the exposure.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast