Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Which team should this card be sorted with?

Hi folks.

I have a conundrum on my hands.

I am big on organizing my cards into alphabetical order, first by the city/country represented on the jersey (Anaheim, Boston, Buffalo, etc. or Canada, Russia, Sweden, etc.) and then in alphabetical order within the team by surname.

This is a dandy system, until I came across this card:

2010-11 Panini Certified #208 Carter Hutton AU RC

I think he switched teams during the season and confused Panini. He only has three rookies and two of them (made by Panini) are printed in the same "traded" type manner. He is pictured with the Philadelphia Flyers with "Sharks" across the bottom, and on the back it has the Sharks logo and teal color scheme. The only one that actually pictures him as a Sharks player is his Donruss RC.

Carter Hutton1.jpgCarter Hutton2.jpg

What team do I put this card under? He's pictured as a Flyer.

Help!

Tony

2. Check out Steel City Collectibles Clearance Center
    Card logo on the back is the way I've seen most breakers assign teams. If it was my personal card, I'd call it a shark

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Sports Card Forum mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by sparty07 View Post
    Card logo on the back is the way I've seen most breakers assign teams. If it was my personal card, I'd call it a shark

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Sports Card Forum mobile app
    I am not a breaker.

Like I said, I generally group cards based on the jersey the player is wearing. He did get his start with Philadelphia and the Flyers jersey really jumps out at you. That will likely be where I assign him because it is more prominent than the word Sharks at the bottom.

I hate when the card companies produce cards like this. Anyone else have a thought?

For me, that's a San Jose Sharks card. The team listed on the front/back is what I've always gone with. Hope this opinion helps you out! Nice card by the way
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    PC's: Martin Brodeur, Ed Belfour, Jhonas Enroth, Marc-Andre Fleury, Carey Price

I would consider this card as a San Jose Shark card as well. Always go by the team name / team logo on the card.
    Hidden Content Collecting: Claude Giroux, Rick Nash, Eric Staal, Rookies and Auto's

Bucket: Hidden Content
    "ONLY TRADER ALBUMS ARE AVAILABLE"

Quote Originally Posted by creasecollector View Post
    For me, that's a San Jose Sharks card. The team listed on the front/back is what I've always gone with. Hope this opinion helps you out! Nice card by the way
    Since I am not a box-breaker, I have no reason to follow the "rules".

I'm trying to figure out why the team listed on the back is what matters. The first thing that jumps out at me is a collector is the front. I rarely look at the back of my cards except to check for damage. I never even read the back.

I think I have made my decision.

I sort based on what jersey the player is wearing. For me, it's about optics. The Flyers jersey is much more dominant than the word Sharks. If I put this one with the Sharks, it looks out of place. Sharks, Sharks, Sharks, FLYERS, Sharks...optically, that messes with me.

Another reason for putting this one with the Flyers is because the Flyers drafted him. If the jersey he's wearing is from the team that drafted him, that's where I think it should go.

Seems like you've made your decision. Awesome! And when you look at things from that point of view, I do see where you are coming from. Nice Flyers card!

And the team printed on the front & back doesn't really "matter" all that much in the grand scheme of things (unless it's done by the collectors' choosing), but it's done to help informatively 'breakdown' the card more and make it extremely unique if that makes sense.

Another great example is the card numbers. The card number doesn't matter until you factor in how much cards are in the set, which is when you might find correlations between which #'s are the rookies in the set, maybe grouped by team, etc, etc. It's also done by card manufacturers to give each card it's own barcode in a sense.
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    PC's: Martin Brodeur, Ed Belfour, Jhonas Enroth, Marc-Andre Fleury, Carey Price

If Panini were to release a team checklist, they would list this as a Sharks card. But, it's your collection and your rules. If this is a Flyers card to you, then it is a Flyers card.

As a Flyer Collector...

This card would not necessarily make it into my collection, despite the jersey. Hutton only ever sat as a backup for the Flyers. No action... not a Flyer.
    Wantlist: Hidden Content .

Looking at the card, I'd call it a San Jose Sharks card. That's what the card says (regardless of the picture).

I took a look at Panini's website, and downloaded the checklist. They have Hutton's card listed as San Jose Sharks.

If you'd rather keep it with the Flyers - I say go for it. It's your collection, sort the cards how you like.

I've been collecting Oilers Rookies / Autographs for a long time..... and I know this is one of the oddest cards in my collection (scan taken from COMC):

Lombardi was drafted by the Oilers in 2000, but never signed with them. He went back into the draft and was drafted again by the Flames in 2002. (Much higher the 2nd time... 90th vs 215th).

Pacific, for some reason, used a draft photo from 2000 on a couple of his cards. Never signed with the Oilers, never played with them, yet there he is wearing the jersey. I don't consider it an "Oilers card" but it's such an oddity that I did get a copy for my "Oilers collection".

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast