Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Thread: Donations

SCF Rewards
    Country

Donations

I was just wondering how you guys do your donations TTM. Do you send cash or do you send a check? I would think check would be better because if they just toss the envelope you can always write the check off but, if you put cash its lost.

Just wondering how you guys do it.

TTM Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country
    New York Giants Philadelphia Phillies New Jersey Devils
    See arfmax's Items on eBay

normally, I send cash, unless I know that a check to a foundation or charity is required. Some former athletes won't sign if it is a check made out to them, probably because they don't want any records for tax purposes.
    Working on autographed 1987 Topps Baseball set:
    Total Cards in Set:792/Total Autographable: 760 (6 Checklists, 26 Team Leaders)
    Total Autographed:639!
    Currently Sent (Outstanding):44
    Percent Complete:84.1

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Chicago Cubs Chicago Bears Chicago Bulls

For me it just depends on the amount--if its $5-$10 bucks I'll probably just send cash. Anything more than that I usually do check because of what you said. Some guys will only take cash though (Jim Rice).
    Collect HOF ROMLB SS balls (Have 35, always looking for more)
    Trying to complete 2016 Topps Heritage Minor League Set (199/215)
    2016 Cubs World Series signed WS ROMLB (8/25)
    2018 Bowman Draft 169/200
    2020 Bowman Draft 121/200

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Pittsburgh Steelers Baltimore Orioles Philadelphia Phillies

check if its a foundation ,cash otherwise

SCF Rewards
    Country

Just my two cents based on my limited experience...

I've only sent cash, but the most I've sent is $10. Would probably send a check if more than 25 or so. I would also likely send a check if it were a guy that sometimes (but not always) signs. If the check were made out to cash, rather than the players name, they likely would not have the IRS looking into things. A possible advantage to a check is that you would know if your request was received. A guy that cashes a check then refuses to sign would be a very rare species of jerk, I would think.

The guys that accept donations KNOW to look for a donation in all envelopes, so the chances of them just pitching the envelope are slim.

The only situation I would send more than $25 cash is if I were sending a package (something that wouldn't fit in a standard envelope), as that has a tracking number that I could follow, and the likelihood of it getting "lost" is minimal.

Who are you considering sending to?

SCF Rewards
    Country

Just my two cents based on my limited experience...

I've only sent cash, but the most I've sent is $10. Would probably send a check if more than 25 or so. I would also likely send a check if it were a guy that sometimes (but not always) signs. If the check were made out to cash, rather than the players name, they likely would not have the IRS looking into things. A possible advantage to a check is that you would know if your request was received. A guy that cashes a check then refuses to sign would be a very rare species of jerk, I would think.

The guys that accept donations KNOW to look for a donation in all envelopes, so the chances of them just pitching the envelope are slim.

The only situation I would send more than $25 cash is if I were sending a package (something that wouldn't fit in a standard envelope), as that has a tracking number that I could follow, and the likelihood of it getting "lost" is minimal.

Who are you considering sending to?

Haven't really decided yet but, this was one thing that always has been on my mind when I see people add donations for their TTMs.

It would just bug the hell out of me if I sent out something with a cash donation and I never got the item back. I am what some people call cheap and don't like just throwing money around lol.

SCF Rewards
    Country

I am what some people call cheap and don't like just throwing money around lol.

LOL!

I'm equally thrifty (translation... cheap). I have never NOT received a response from somebody that I sent a cash donation to. It's a risk, sure. But minimal, considering the amount most players are asking for.