Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Edmonton Oilers Toronto Blue Jays Hamilton Tiger Cats
    See 30Ranfordfan's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

2005-06 Cup Rookies: Are they really this tough to aquire now?

In general, is there actually a lot of demand for 05-06 Cup Rookie? Are they all locked away in PCs now? I'm not talking about Crosby or Ovechkin..... rather "minor names" that are still in the NHL today.

199 Copies of something that's more than now 12 years old: Yes, the supply is going to be shorter.

I'm after two cards in particular from that set: Al Montoya & Jussi Jokinen. (If you're asking "why" - I collect a rookie card for anyone to have played for the Oilers. This season puts both those names on the list. I prefer auto / memorabilia RCs when possible - and go after "best" rookie, when available).

I would certainly not call these cards "white whales". The only thing that has prevented me from owning one already - the ones up on eBay have $100 asking prices on them, and I'm not interested in these cards at even $50. I'm not grumbling about asking prices... but I'm surprised that not one of these cards has shown up on auction since I've been looking. Are cards from that set really this uncommon to see in auction?

I'll point out that when the Oilers signed Jokinen last summer, I did look at completed sales... and a Jokinen (single colour) had just sold for $6 on auction. Maybe a fluke to be that low... but it does mean that it's not like they never come up, just have to be patient.

I will certainly compromise on "best rookie card" and instead go with "best rookie card in my budget" if I need to (Cup RCs /99 are almost all off the table, in terms of being something I'd buy) it just seems like these two shouldn't be something I have to settle on a lesser card for.

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    CnC (21)
    Country
    Toronto Maple Leafs Calgary Flames NULL
    Twitter: @@creasecollector Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack My traders on Flickr

I would say it's a mix of factors in this case. The age of cards definitely play a factor, plus the players aren't in the "know" right now and sellers might not be purposefully looking to list cards of these players right now, whereas say a Crosby or Ovechkin will always take priority to list up on eBay.

Just stay patient and I'm sure you will pick up these cards at auction sooner than later. And after a few months, if it's still not listed, you can always find another rookie in the mean time to help fill your PC.
    Jhonas Enroth Card Collector & Host of the Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    View my Hidden Content | My Hidden Content | Complete Hidden Content | Card Blog Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country

Al Montoya RC should cost you $1, not $100...that's crazy

Hockey Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens Toronto Blue Jays San Francisco 49ers
    Twitter: @@RealRGM81 See price31collector's Items on eBay Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

Crazy. I wonder if it’s because Montoya was at one time expected to be more than Lundqvist (he got preferential treatment in a couple sets) so people that do have them have more skin in the game than they are to admit. Just a theory.

Jokinen...hmmm might he have been a redemption?

Sent from my iPhone using SportsCardForum
    Habs fan and collector! Main PC's: Carey Price, Nick Suzuki, Cole Caufield, Juraj Slafkovsky, and of course...

Hidden Content Hidden Content ! 254 Unique Cards + 23 1/1's!!!

Participate in our Hidden Content , sponsored by Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country

Older cards are always harder to come by.

Waiting for an auction to hit ( where the steals / lower ending prices usually occur ) is going to be even tougher.

Wait for someone to do a set break .... something like that.

I am currently working on 02/03 Crown Royale Dual Patches. They dont come up too often via auction, but when they do theyre all basically mine if I need them. I can however, decide to hit BINs or work on sellers trying to get their prices down, but thats usually not a very successful road.

Its the same with FW Auto Rookies. Just compare the amount from the current year, to a few years ago, down to right after the lockout ... auction style of course. Then narrow those 05/06 rookies to some of the lower end. The guys not worth putting on ebay to sell for a couple dollars after fees and shipping.

Were having a 2 day show in early March. I know of one guy who has a ton of 05/06 and 06/07 Cup. Mostly lower end, 2clr sometimes 3clr patches. Shoot me a PM with what youre looking to pay for them and ill see if I can work him down ( hes a pretty stingy dealer ). If you want, we can even exchange numbers so I can shoot over prices / scans.
    *** Main PC - Roberto Luongo ***
    *** MOST WANTED - 12/13 PRIME COLORS "PATCH" ROBERTO LUONGO x/8 ***

Flickr ( not updated ) - Hidden Content
    Trade List - Hidden Content

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Edmonton Oilers Toronto Blue Jays Hamilton Tiger Cats
    See 30Ranfordfan's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

Appreciate the comments guys

I would say it's a mix of factors in this case. The age of cards definitely play a factor, plus the players aren't in the "know" right now and sellers might not be purposefully looking to list cards of these players right now, whereas say a Crosby or Ovechkin will always take priority to list up on eBay.

Just stay patient and I'm sure you will pick up these cards at auction sooner than later. And after a few months, if it's still not listed, you can always find another rookie in the mean time to help fill your PC.

Well, that's the thing. I could pick up a Hot Prospects RC of those guys for a few bucks, and then I'd be stuck with that card later, if (when?) I can land a Cup RC. I have a feeling if I spend $7 on a Hot Prospects Montoya - I'm sitting on that card forever, lol.

Al Montoya RC should cost you $1, not $100...that's crazy

Right? I'm certainly not expecting to actually get it for $1... but close to $1 than $100.

Crazy. I wonder if it’s because Montoya was at one time expected to be more than Lundqvist (he got preferential treatment in a couple sets) so people that do have them have more skin in the game than they are to admit. Just a theory.

Jokinen...hmmm might he have been a redemption?

Sent from my iPhone using SportsCardForum

If Jokinen was a redemption, that would probably have short supplied them. Montoya was certainly a big name prospect back in the day.... but I can't imagine people are still sitting on Montoya rookies, and refusing to let them go for less than $100, because that's what they paid for it 12 years ago. Maybe though?

Waiting for an auction to hit ( where the steals / lower ending prices usually occur ) is going to be even tougher.

Wait for someone to do a set break .... something like that.

I am currently working on 02/03 Crown Royale Dual Patches. They dont come up too often via auction, but when they do theyre all basically mine if I need them. I can however, decide to hit BINs or work on sellers trying to get their prices down, but thats usually not a very successful road.

Its the same with FW Auto Rookies. Just compare the amount from the current year, to a few years ago, down to right after the lockout ... auction style of course. Then narrow those 05/06 rookies to some of the lower end. The guys not worth putting on ebay to sell for a couple dollars after fees and shipping.

Were having a 2 day show in early March. I know of one guy who has a ton of 05/06 and 06/07 Cup. Mostly lower end, 2clr sometimes 3clr patches. Shoot me a PM with what youre looking to pay for them and ill see if I can work him down ( hes a pretty stingy dealer ). If you want, we can even exchange numbers so I can shoot over prices / scans.

Yeah, you're right about patience. I do wonder if these cards are (many copies) sitting in sets. 05-06 (coming out of the lockout, Crosby) is a particularly big year for set builders (I thought it was, anyway).

I will drop you a PM. Thanks!

SCF Rewards
    Country

Yup this is true. After the years pass nobody can find the boxes to break or the cards go into collections or junk boxes so they don't get listed on eBay. When they do pop up they go for more than expected since everyone is thirsty to get the cards.
    Selling All My Cards Here------>Hidden Content

Baseball Autograph and Game Used Only Trade Page: pwaldo.webs.com/
    //s123.photobucket.com/albums/o299/pwaldo/