Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Vancouver Canucks Toronto Blue Jays Edmonton Oilers
    See aemiceman's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale

Packing Cards for Long Distance Move?

So I'm going to be moving from BC to Alberta in a couple months if all goes well and will be hiring a moving company to do the move for us (with potential for things to be in storage up to a month during the move.

Any suggestions from others that have done long distance moves? Do's and don't of packing cards for moving? I have a mix of cards in binders and cardboard boxes. Should I pack something around the cards in the boxes to keep them from moving around in the boxes? Should I leave the cards in the binders? Should I keep my higher end cards on me in a small safe?

Thanks and I apologize if I haven't posted this in the correct forum.

Hockey Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens Toronto Blue Jays San Francisco 49ers
    Twitter: @@RealRGM81 See price31collector's Items on eBay Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

Probably good in their current boxes. Just tape the lids down so they don't shift around too much. For the cards in binders you're probably fine. Take the high-end stuff with you if you guys are driving or flying.
    Habs fan and collector! Main PC's: Carey Price, Nick Suzuki, Cole Caufield, Juraj Slafkovsky, and of course...

Hidden Content Hidden Content ! 254 Unique Cards + 23 1/1's!!!

Participate in our Hidden Content , sponsored by Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Pittsburgh Steelers Baltimore Orioles Philadelphia Phillies

When we moved our collection we kept everything in the boxes just used some padding when needed and secured them in bubble wrap as well . And as stated above kept all high end with us

Assistant General Manager

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

I would not put anything valuable in the boxes unless they are all in top loader etc. Not sure but when you start stacking 10, 20, 30 3200 count boxes in a stack it a ton of weight on the bottom cards. Keeping cards in a binder imo would be fine I just might box them up in some plastic totes to keep them from getting damaged. Pack them with some newspaper or tissue paper to keep them from moving around. As we all know cards can easily slide out of a binder if there is a lot of movement especially in the opposite direction the card is slide down in. Always better to go in with a overkill mindset so there no surprised at the end of the move. Moved a few times and there been a few things that been damaged along the way.

p.s. Not sure if you want but think you can get insurance as well but not sure of the cost thru the mover in case something really bad happens. With that said take the high dollar stuff with you like the others have stated.

Don

SCF Rewards
    Country

Thanks everyone. I'll definitely pack the higher end cards separately. My main concern was the cards shifting around in the card boxes. I'll put some bubble wrap in there to make sure they are protected well.

As for insurance, I'm pretty sure my home/contents insurance covers my move, but I'll double check and make sure my coverage is sufficient. If not I guess I can pay for the moving companies insurance to be really safe. I think my main concern is that because it isn't going to be a direct move in a couple days, our stuff may sit in storage for a few weeks/months.

Thanks!
    Richard

SCF Rewards
    Country

I picked up a couple of these from Home Depot last week and I think these are going to do the trick for packing my card boxes in. The lid interlocks which is nice. I can fit 2x3200ct and 2x1600ct boxes in each one and a few other things around and on top. These should keep the cards safe and dry during my move.

p_1001036558.jpg

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

I picked up a couple of these from Home Depot last week and I think these are going to do the trick for packing my card boxes in. The lid interlocks which is nice. I can fit 2x3200ct and 2x1600ct boxes in each one and a few other things around and on top. These should keep the cards safe and dry during my move.

p_1001036558.jpg

Definitely a nice investment to protect your investment in the move. Best of luck.

Don

SCF Rewards
    Country

I am moved and settled into my new home here in Calgary. Slowly getting my cards unpacked and sorted and finishing off some sets.

The move went well for the cards and I haven't found any damaged cards yet. I packed a lot of my sets in cardboard boxes, put cardboard pack fillers in front and behind the cards in each row to make sure they were tight and wouldn't move. Put bubble wrap beside and on top of all the cards and taped the boxes shut. Then packed them all into those plastic bins shown in my previous post. Spent a bit, but considering the value of the collection whats a couple hundred bucks to move them safely.

Thanks for everyone's suggestions and glad to be back.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens Toronto Blue Jays San Antonio Spurs
    Twitter: @pwskelly See pwskelly's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack My traders on Flickr

I am moved and settled into my new home here in Calgary. Slowly getting my cards unpacked and sorted and finishing off some sets.

The move went well for the cards and I haven't found any damaged cards yet. I packed a lot of my sets in cardboard boxes, put cardboard pack fillers in front and behind the cards in each row to make sure they were tight and wouldn't move. Put bubble wrap beside and on top of all the cards and taped the boxes shut. Then packed them all into those plastic bins shown in my previous post. Spent a bit, but considering the value of the collection whats a couple hundred bucks to move them safely.

Thanks for everyone's suggestions and glad to be back.

Congrats on your successful and safe move. Welcome back!

Hidden Content

Collecting Mike Liut, Andrei Markov
    and Montréal Canadiens.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

Glad to hear it all went well!

Don