Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Poll: Is LEBRON JAMES the GOAT?

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

The GOAT scored 51 on 60% shooting and became the first player in history to score 50+ in an NBA Finals game and lose ... imagine that, the most unselfish star on the list of 50 point scorers is the only one that lost the game ... obviously wins are TEAM accomplishments and NOT an individual player stat.

I remember when Jordan won his 6th title and basically everyone said he had surpassed Magic Johnson (who won 5 titles and NINE conference championships) as the greatest guard in NBA history ... well, LeBron is what Magic would have been if Magic scored around 15 more points every game and played great defense ... in short ... LeBron is infinitely superior to Michael Jordan as a basketball player, period.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

As Max Kellerman said, the Warriors have a team (ala the Avengers) and the Cavs have a LeBron (ala Thanos) and super teams will always end up beating even the most powerful individual superstar ...

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

"They have a guy who is playing basketball at a level I'm not sure has ever been seen before."

- Steve Kerr (Michael Jordan's ex-teammate) talking about LeBron James after Game 1 of the 2018 NBA Finals
    Last edited by Jameis1of1; 06-01-2018 at 01:22 AM.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

LEBRON JAMES now has more 40 point NBA Finals games in just his last 19 Finals games than Michael Jordan ever had in his entire career over 35 Finals games!

LeBron is what Jordan would have been, had Jordan been even better in elimination games and had even more 40 point outbursts in the NBA Finals, and been power-forward sized, and had Magic Johnson's all-around game and leadership. In short ... Jordan was a poor man's LeBron and nothing more.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

Hall of Fame wide receiver Cris Carter, who was one of Michael Jordan's close friends and who literally traveled with Jordan during Jordan's epic NBA Finals championship series vs the Phoenix Suns, just said on First Things First that LeBron is playing at a higher level than Jordan was even capable of playing at ... THAT IS A HUGE STATEMENT for a buddy of Jordan's to make, especially considering he traveled with Jordan and literally witnessed Jordan's best NBA Finals performance ... wow!!!

When a Hall of Fame coach like Dickie V, who watched Bill Russell, Wilt Chamberlain, Kareem, Magic/Bird, Jordan, Shaq/Kobe, etc., is stating over and over that Jordan was never even close to as good as LeBron is now and that LeBron is absolutely the GOAT, and a future HOF coach (Steve Kerr) who is also a guy who won rings as a teammate of Michael Jordan states that LeBron is playing at a level never seen before, and now a good buddy of Jordan and a guy who traveled with him during his most epic Finals run, adamantly states that Jordan was never as good as LeBron is now ... one can easily see the tide is changing in the GOAT debate.

I feel extremely confident in my prediction that within 15 years upwards of 90% of the media is going to consider LeBron the GOAT and that Jordan will simply be trumpeted by the old crowd, just as Bill Russell is still trumpeted by the old crowd today.
    Last edited by Jameis1of1; 06-01-2018 at 03:48 PM.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See vivchuleta's Items on eBay

Difficult to compare players from different generations. The game changes with the times. The term Goat really can't be used for the fact that Time has not ended. Perhaps the ones to ask are the ones to ask are the team mates that have played with the players mentioned in conversation. Like the fact that you quote stats^. My vote would be the team mate everyone wants, or would have wanted, to play with.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

Difficult to compare players from different generations. The game changes with the times. The term Goat really can't be used for the fact that Time has not ended. Perhaps the ones to ask are the ones to ask are the team mates that have played with the players mentioned in conversation. Like the fact that you quote stats^. My vote would be the team mate everyone wants, or would have wanted, to play with.

If that's the case, Michael Jordan would rank way, way, way below LeBron, Russell, Magic, Bird ... and even Pippen. I don't think an all-time GOAT list made up of "the best teammates" would reflect who the actual greatest players in NBA history were as I imagine a guy like Pau Gasol might be #1 all-time and guys who will have to buy a ticket to the HOF like Stephen Jackson and Charles Oakley would be on it as well, while the list would also likely be filled with pass-first PG's as well like Magic, Nash, Stockton, etc. ... it'd be a neat list though ...

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See vivchuleta's Items on eBay

If that's the case, Michael Jordan would rank way, way, way below LeBron, Russell, Magic, Bird ... and even Pippen. I don't think an all-time GOAT list made up of "the best teammates" would reflect who the actual greatest players in NBA history were as I imagine a guy like Pau Gasol might be #1 all-time and guys who will have to buy a ticket to the HOF like Stephen Jackson and Charles Oakley would be on it as well, while the list would also likely be filled with pass-first PG's as well like Magic, Nash, Stockton, etc. ... it'd be a neat list though ...

This is my point. Goat is used as the word God is used. "My God is greater than yours" . I have learned to appreciate the talent each player has, especially in the team atmosphere.
    I also appreciate you picking the brains and making people think.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

This is my point. Goat is used as the word God is used. "My God is greater than yours" . I have learned to appreciate the talent each player has, especially in the team atmosphere.

I understand you now ... and I agree a GOATT (Greatest of All Time Teammate) list would be cool! I certainly couldn't compile one that would be worth anyone reading but it would be cool if ESPN would interview a ton of current and former coaches and make a list after hearing from them.

If one were to just interview the three greatest coaches (Phil Jackson, Gregg Popovich and Pat Riley) and their players I imagine Pau Gasol, Lamar Odom, Derek Fisher, Magic Johnson, A.C. Green, Charles Oakley, Scottie Pippen, Tim Duncan, David Robinson and Stephen Jackson would make up the "Top 10" list for those coaches ... but that's obviously just a guess on my part.

I also appreciate you picking the brains and making people think.

Thank you for the kind words, I appreciate it.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

UPDATED STATS NOW THAT LEBRON'S 15TH SEASON IS OVER:

Michael Jordan played 15 seasons in the NBA and LeBron just finished his 15th season, so it's a great time to compare them ...

Regular Season & Post-Season Career Combined Stats, Awards & Advanced Analytics Breakdown:

POINTS: Jordan (38,279 to 37,949) * LBJ scored approx. 7.5% more efficiently than MJ
    REBOUNDS: LeBron (10,537 to 7,824)
    ASSISTS: LeBron ( 9,895 to 6,655)
    STEALS: Jordan (2,890 to 2,284)
    BLOCKS: LeBron (1,120 to 1,051)
    MVPs: Jordan (5 to 4 and counting ... should be tied this year if voters aren't insane)
    Top 10 MVP selections: LeBron (15 to 11) ... yes, LeBron did it every single year ... even as a 19 year old.
    1st Team All-NBA Selections: LeBron (12 to 10)
    2nd Team All-NBA Selections: LeBron (2 to 1)
    Total All-NBA Selections: LeBron (14 to 11)
    NBA DPOY: Jordan (1 to 0)
    1st Team All-NBA DEFENSE Selections: Jordan (9 to 5)
    2nd Team All-NBA DEFENSE Selections: Jordan (1 to 0)
    Total All-NBA DEFENSE Selections: Jordan (9 to 6)
    Player of the Week Awards: LeBron (61 to 25)
    Player of the Month Awards: LeBron (44 to 19)
    Top 10 in Player Efficiency Rating Seasons: LeBron (14 to 11)
    Top 10 Offensive Win Share Seasons: LeBron (14 to 11)
    Top 10 Defensive Win Share Seasons: Jordan (8 to 6)
    Top 10 Overall Win Share Seasons: LeBron (13 to 11)
    Top 10 Offensive Box Plus/Minus Seasons: LeBron (14 to 11)
    Top 10 Defensive Box Plus/Minus: LeBron (1 to 0) Scottie Pippen did it 3x but Jordan never did it even once
    Top 10 Overall Box Plus/Minus: LeBron (14 to 10)
    Top 10 Value Over Replacement Player Seasons: LeBron (14 to 11)

#1 in the NBA Value Over Replacement Player Seasons: LeBron (9 to 7)

To me, there isn't even a doubt that LeBron has topped Jordan as the GOAT already ... I actually don't understand how Jordan ever topped Kareem on the GOAT list to be honest ... and to think LeBron could play another 6 years (until his son enters the NBA so they can play a game together or against each other) and just utterly obliterate every single statistical mark Jordan ever set, in both the regular season, playoffs and NBA Finals, is just mind-boggling.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast