Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SCF Rewards
    Country

1989 Star Minor League Baseball Series 1 set review

I picked up boxes of 1989 Star Minor League series 1 & 2 off eBay. I mean, if any set defines "junk wax" it's this set. I

There is absolutely no sensible reason to buy these cards. So if you want to know why I bought these cards, you can read it here:
    http://anchorandhopecustomcards.blog...ies-1-set.html

SCF Rewards
    Country

Good review on this set. It was a weird one in that it was cheap and quality at the same time. The somehow mastered the centering problems that plagued other non Upper Deck sets in the late 80s and the card stock quality was nice but that was about it besides the humongous checklist size. The design of the box and cards was super basic (especially the box) but maybe collectors liked the simple design. But the coloring bled through on the cards to the back sometimes. The stats were unavailable for some players. The deep checklist was nice if you wanted to hit some guy who would never make the majors or the team's personal trainer but the downside is that even at the time the set contained way too many cards of guys that nobody would want.
    Selling All My Cards Here------>Hidden Content

Baseball Autograph and Game Used Only Trade Page: pwaldo.webs.com/
    //s123.photobucket.com/albums/o299/pwaldo/

SCF Rewards
    Country

Yeah, you're right, I didn't even notice that all the cards were nice and centered and the stock was thick. But the negatives way outweighed the positives. It would have been nice to look back at the set today and say "Man, they hit on some guys that did big things". But man, they missed on dang near everybody. It's almost like they just reached into a bag and grabbed random photo negatives.

I know they did team sets that year two with a slightly improved border colorway, but I'm not sure any of them are worth chasing because do I need 3 '89 Star Charles Nagys?

SCF Rewards
    Country

By the way, I did crack a box of series 2 and did a review, but I saw that the Baseball Show & Tell board was more appropriate.