Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Member is PayPal Verified

Displaying Autographed Cards - Concerns, Ideas

Hi everyone, I've seen a few threads about how UV light will cause autographs to fade fairly quickly. I think people will also agree that burglary is a concern, especially for very high end collections. So if you do display your autographed card collection, I was wondering what you opted to do and how it has been working out.

One idea that I had which I didn't see anything about online (so it may not really be a great idea, lol) was to keep the original cards hidden (boxes, etc.) and to instead display either (1) a high quality scan printout on cardboard stock or (2) high quality photos of the cards. The idea of option 1 is to have something that has the look and feel of the card, but is sort of like a replica for display purposes only. Option 2 might be displaying cards on stands and taking nice photos of them, then displaying those photos at your home (maybe framed or with sports memorabilia).

Feel free to sound off on experiences, other ideas, and even share photos of your display.

Thanks!

-kingdompc

Football Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Country

For me I'm able to display the few cards I want in a room that doesn't take direct sunlight. I like to enjoy the genuine article so I'd be unlikely to do options 1 or 2. However for the cards I would like to display but don't have space for, I wind up scanning them and putting them up on my website. That way I can look at them whenever/wherever I am.

Great topic, hope to see more replies!

SCF Rewards
    Country
    New York Giants New Jersey Devils
    See bcool022's Items on eBay My traders on Flickr

I try to display as many of my cards as possible so if I was robbed I would be screwed. But I want to feel like if I am spending all this money on cards I can display them and they look nice. I also have a basement room that I turned into a Giants mancave and it doesn't take much sunlight if I don't want it to. Michael's has these 20 card display cases i have 2 of them on each side of my wall going from my kitchen down into my basement. Then last year my wife bought me this really tall glass display case and these little holders that I put the cards on and then in the display case. Also just have cards set up on shelves all around my room. Collecting is expensive and you never get your moneys worth so I want to feel like my cards are being used and worth it.

SCF Rewards
    Country

For me I'm able to display the few cards I want in a room that doesn't take direct sunlight. I like to enjoy the genuine article so I'd be unlikely to do options 1 or 2. However for the cards I would like to display but don't have space for, I wind up scanning them and putting them up on my website. That way I can look at them whenever/wherever I am.

Great topic, hope to see more replies!

I totally understand, and to be honest, I would also really prefer to display the real thing if I had more confidence in supposed UV-blocking card cases and displays, but I've read too many negative things online about them (I read that what museums use is really high end and expensive cases). And I personally don't have an area at home that I would be sure will always be receiving low or no light on a regular basis. That being said, thank you for the great reminder that displaying your collection online through a website is certainly another option in the realm of sharing your collection with others. In fact, it made me think that another option might be to have a slideshow of your collection playing on your family television from time to time when it's not in use, like when you are lounging or when guests are over to watch a game. I appreciate the response!

SCF Rewards
    Country

I try to display as many of my cards as possible so if I was robbed I would be screwed. But I want to feel like if I am spending all this money on cards I can display them and they look nice. I also have a basement room that I turned into a Giants mancave and it doesn't take much sunlight if I don't want it to. Michael's has these 20 card display cases i have 2 of them on each side of my wall going from my kitchen down into my basement. Then last year my wife bought me this really tall glass display case and these little holders that I put the cards on and then in the display case. Also just have cards set up on shelves all around my room. Collecting is expensive and you never get your moneys worth so I want to feel like my cards are being used and worth it.

For me, getting robbed is as equally worrisome as having the autographs fade under light. My family's home was robbed a few times when I was growing up, and when I was living on my own for a while I was also hit in an apartment, so I've been molded to always err on the side of caution (for better or worse). Still, having your collection insured and having some level of home security should be enough to ease the minds of most collectors. I know what you mean though - we spend a lot of time, effort, and money on our collections, and when you are passionate about something, it's only natural to want to share it with others. Related to that: If you guys are anything like me, almost every card - if not all - has a story that makes it special to you (for example, what the player or team means to you and why, the accompanying inscription of an autograph, or maybe a friend freely gifted the card to you), and it may speak to and encourage someone else in a similar way. So again, I can relate to the sentiment you've expressed, and it looks like you've found some really nice ways to display your card collection. It's also very neat to hear how supportive your wife is of your hobby! Good stuff!

SCF Rewards
    Country

Some cards will fade even without light. The 2007 Sweet Spot autographs in baseball were signed on really cheap "leather" and the cards immediately faded and if you open a pack of it now the autograph will be barely visible even though it hasn't seen light in over a decade. It was so bad Upper Deck was replacing the autograph hits back when it was released.

But if you don't display the cards or pieces in a room that is hit with light and you don't use damaging light fixtures you should be good with the majority of items especially if you rotate them. If the card is really high end (I don't have anything high end so I don't have to worry about it) the high resolution scan idea you have is an excellent substitute that would prevent against light damage AND robbery.
    Selling All My Cards Here------>Hidden Content

Baseball Autograph and Game Used Only Trade Page: pwaldo.webs.com/
    //s123.photobucket.com/albums/o299/pwaldo/

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Winnipeg Jets Oklahoma Sooners Washington State Cougars

I have a couple of autographs in my office at work nothing that could not be replaced fairly cheaply. My boss however years ago was a professional golfer for a short period of time. He has some unbelievable golf autographs in his office. Our building isn’t Fort Knox so anything is possible but it would be very hard to break into however almost everything we have in our building is extremely flammable. If the building did ever go up it would be a total loss within minutes so that’s my for fear for him.

Assistant General Manager

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

Rowan,

First of all I display my cards (pc) that is. Here a small snot as I had a coffee table made that had felt lining and a glass insert to show off any collectible.

8607FBB5-2BF3-4287-9BFC-875118DC54F2.jpeg

It has two draws so you can rotate the cards you want to display if you wish.

On your worry about being robbed just check into a rider on your homeowner insurance policy for your collectibles. I think I have a few thousand dollar replacement policy. Of course it not going to replace all my cards but it would definitely lmk build my pc again.

Don

SCF Rewards
    Country
    New York Jets
    My traders on Flickr

All good ideas guys. I am growing more and more afraid of being robbed as my collection grows. I dont believe any single card in my collection is worth over $200 bucks but its still a huge fear of mine.

I am looking to get the collection insured since i have recorded the price of every single card pay for i could figure out the exact amount of money i have invested into my collection. Also if i were going to insure the collection would you guys wrap the price of all the shipping you paid for into the price of the card?
    Check out my Collection!
    Hidden Content
    if the offer is right I will deal anything
    I am a collector of the New York JetsHidden Content

Assistant General Manager

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

I am looking to get the collection insured since i have recorded the price of every single card pay for i could figure out the exact amount of money i have invested into my collection. Also if i were going to insure the collection would you guys wrap the price of all the shipping you paid for into the price of the card?

I would not personally worry about calculating the shipping cost but that just me. Just remember it your going to insure this for a what you paid for the collection you might have to do a little more work as well. I assume you can print out a list of every card you have and the prices paid to share the dollar amount you want to insure the collection. There are companies that insure nicer collections but be prepared to pay a little more than a simple rider on your existing home owner policy like I have. As I only pay a few extra dollars a month to insure my collection for like 5,000 replacement value with the household contents etc. Best of luck in getting your collection insured and what you learn going thru the process you should share for other members who have the questions or recommendation for insuring their cards in the future.

DON

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast