Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Edmonton Oilers Toronto Blue Jays Hamilton Tiger Cats
    See 30Ranfordfan's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

All Time Oilers Collection: Part 1

My All-Time Oilers Collection!

I have made mention of this collection in posts many time over the years, but have been TERRIBLE for keeping scans of it anywhere. Not anymore! I've slowly been scanning, getting things uploaded. May as well have the fun of showing this stuff off!

The scope of my project: All Time Edmonton Oilers. NHL Years. 1979-80 to current! If he laced up his skates for a single game for the Oilers, he's part of this collection!

What do I collect? An autograph of every player to have ever played for the Oilers, his Rookie Card (if it exists) or a minor league replacement, a game used card (if it exists), and a card picturing him as an Oiler, if it exists.

Autographs: If the player has a certified, pack-pulled, autograph: That's what I want. I prefer hard signed to stickers (who doesn't?) but stickers are okay too. Some players, there's no options.

Rookie Cards:
    I try and go for the "best" rookie card, but that's not always affordable with modern players. Best can be pretty arbitrary in the 90s, so I use a variety where I can. If no NHL rookie, I go for a minor league replacement. I would take "first AHL / IHL / European" over any junior card, regardless of year. There's a handful of guys whose only cardboard is Oilers 10th anniversary cards, which were gameday program inserts.

Game Used:
    Many players have one, many players don't. I get them when I can, if they're available.

Oilers Card:
    If the player has a card picturing him as an Oiler, I'd like to get one.I try and do this with as FEW cards as possible..... so (for example) I've got a Sam Gagner Cup ARP /99. That checks off all four boxes, so I don't need any other Sam Gagner cards. Occasionally there is a card I think is so awesome I have to add an extra one, so it's kind of "out of normal scope", like in the case of Sam Gagner.

What I'm missing / upgrades / replacements:If you see a picture that shows a player, no Oilers card is there, and you're sure you've got an Oilers card of him - I can probably use that. There shouldn't be a lot of those guys left in these posts, but I know there's (likely) dozens. Certified Autos? If you've got one of a player where I'm using a TTM / IP / etc Auto - I'd love to know about it, but I don't think that will happen (other than a few places where I'll mention in it). Game Used - There are very few players in this list that have a GU card, and I don't have one for them. I'll mention it when I do... but same thing. You've got a GU card of a player I don't have? I'd love to hear about it. My checklist might not be complete.

If you're about to say "hey! I need this card for my PC, would you trade it?" My answer is: In theory, yes..... but I need a replacement for it. If that card represents 2 or more of my 4 "wants" for each player, then I'd need to replace all of those wants if I was moving it out. If I've got a sticker auto for a player, and he's not pictured as an Oiler, chances are pretty good I'd move it for a similar card showing him as an Oiler, or a hard signed auto period. As my wantlists have been getting smaller, I've been finding myself chasing more and more premium GU cards when they exist. I am probably not going to move my "sick patch" for a lesser version of the same card, but I suppose a multi-card swap is always possible?

Finally, I'll mention how they're sorted. I started my lists off with 1979-80 (Oilers first year in the league) and included everyone to play on that team. For the following year, 80-81, I only included players that didn't play the season before.... etc. Players go under the season in which they made their Oilers debut (and alphabetically within that season). For the McSorley / Lowe / Ranfords of the team.... you only get included once for your first go-round. Making your Oilers comeback doesn't get a second entry :)

Last thing before I start posting: I'd like to give a HUGE shout out to @DnJcards. Lots of people have helped me with this collection over the years, but Jon (in particular) has been instrumental. Any of the custom cut signatures you see, he did it, and the cards look amazing! Most of the custom signed cards (used for TTM requests) have come from him too.

I will not be doing to many "single season" posts, but the Oilers inaugural year requires its own.

1979-80

Ron Areshenkoff

Areshenkoff played only 4 games for the Oilers in 79-80, spent most the year in the minors, and retired from hockey the at the end of the season. He was originally a Sabres pick in 1977, and the Oilers took him in the 1979 Expansion Draft.

He's never had any "real" cardboard. The two cards you see are his only "realeased" card - an 88-89 Oilers 10th Anniversary card (these were 4 card panels, inserted into programs) and the second is a cut signature, as finding signed cards of him wasn't particularly easy.

Don Ashby

A mid-season acquisition, in a trade from the Rockies, Ashby was - for a long time - the autograph I never thought I'd get.

Ashby was a high pick of the Maple Leafs (6th overall in 1975), never really stuck with the team. Ended up in Colorado, and then was dealt to Edmonton.

He played 18 games in the 79-80 season, a few more in 80-81. Spent most of those two seasons in the minors. He died in a car crash following the 80-81 season.... meaning any autographs he ever signed were from 1981 or earlier, making them extremely difficult to track down today.

A couple of years ago @andrewconnors9 sent me a kijiji link (Edmonton) for a listing where someone was selling an old menu from a sports bar.... has Ashby & a few other (unimportant) signatures on it. I contacted the seller, had them mail it to me, and that Cut signature was made!

Also included is his 77-78 OPC Rookie Card.

Bryon Baltimore

Baltimore is another guy that played very few games for the Oilers. Just two in the 79-80 season. He was a regular in the WHA from 74-75 until the merger... and the Oilers grabbed him in the dispersal draft. He spent most of the 79-80 season in the minors, same with 80-81, then he retired.

That's a custom card he signed, I got it in a trade on another site. Also have his 75-76 OPC WHA Rookie Card.

John Bednarski

Bednarski was a free agent signing, leading up to the 1979-80 season. He'd logged 99 games in the NHL already with the New York Rangers, but spent the bulk of the prior three years in the minors. His time with Edmonton wasn't a lot different. He played only a single game in 1979-80, and the reason of the season was split between the Central & American leagues. He later signed a contract with Buffalo, be he never got back to the NHL before retiring following the 1981-82 season.

Pictured is his 1976-77 OPC RC, and a second copy, signed.

Wayne Bianchin

Bianchin was an expansion pick, with the Oiler (clearly, based on the pics) taking him from the Penguins. After being taken 23rd overall in the 1973 Draft, he spent a couple of season moving uip & down with Pittsburgh & the minors. While not always an everyday player, he had been a regular in Pittsburgh - without seeing any minor league action for the three years leading up to the expansion draft. He played only 11 games for the Oilers, spent the bulk of the year with Houston in the CHL. He retired after the 79-80 season.

Pictured is the 77-78 OPC Rookie Card, and a signed copy of his 79-80 OPC. That Oilers logo, and a "NOW WITH OILERS" text on it, make this the closest thing he's got to an Oilers card.

Brett Callighen

Callighen's time in Edmonton is extra noteworthy, as he was the real linemate of Wayne Gretzky. He broke the 30 goal mark in the Oilers final WHA season, and topped 20 in his first two seasons in the NHL. He wasn't one of Edmonton's priority selections coming into the NHL (WHA teams got to keep 4 players) but he wasn't claimed in the dispersal draft either. He scored 56 goals in 160 games, over three NHL season in Edmonton (going along with 66 goals, and 213 games in the WHA, between Edmonton & New England). After his palying career was over, he became an agent.

Pictured is his 79-80 OPC Rookie card, and a signed copy of his 82-83 OPC.

Campbell Colin

Most NHL fans know the name Colin Campbell. Currently a VP of Hockey Operations with the NHL, he spent the better part of a decade as the league's sheriff, handing out supplementary discipline when he felt it was warranted.

Long before he wore a suit to work, he was also a player! He was the first of three players the Oilers took from the Pittsburgh Penguins in the 1979 expansion draft, and played in Edmonton for the 1979-80 season. He moved onto Vancouver & Detroit after leaving Edmonton, all total he logged over 600 games in the NHL.

Pictured here is his 75-76 OPC Rookie card, and a signed copy of his 80-81 OPC.

Ron Carter

Carter is certainly not a name that most hockey fans would recognize. He was a draft pick of the Montreal Canadiens back in 1978 - and was then claimed by the Oilers in the expansion draft. His only two NHL games came during the 79-80 season with Edmonton. He kept playing in the minors until the end of the 1985-86 season.

Carter never had any official cardboard, so what you see is his Oilers 10th Anniversary card, along with a cut signature.

Ron Chipperfield

Chipperfield was drafted in the 1st of the NHL draft by California, but opted to sign with the Vancouver Blazer of the WHA instead (was taken in the 2nd round of the WHA draft). He played one year in Vancouver before the team moved to Calgary, spent two seasons there, before catching on with the WHA version of the Oilers. Like Callighen, the Oilers were able to keep him around for their debut 79-80 season. He played 6y games for the Oilers, before being traded to Quebec for Ron Low. He played another dozen games for the Nords that year, but only 4 the following season. He spent his last year in pro hockey in Italy, in 81-82, scoring a whooping 78 goals in 30 games to lead the league.

Chipperfield also holds the distinction of being the first captain in the team's NHL history, something that is sadly not shown on cardboard anywhere.

Pictured are a trio of WHA cards, and his lone NHL card: His 74-75 OPC WHA RC, a signed copy of his 76-77 OPC WHA, and his 77-78 OPC WHA. Shows him wearing the Cowboys jersey, but notes that he was then an Oiler. It's the reverse of his lone NHL card, the 80-81 OPC that has a heavily cropped picture of him wearing an Oilers jersey (can't see the logo, or even the 'C') but says 'Nordiques'.

Cam Connor

The first example of why I LOVED the stuff ITG pumped out after losing it's NHL license. Thinking outside the box, and giving guys some cardboard love that didn't normally get it!

Cam Connor started his pro career in the WHA, after having been a top 5 pick in both competeing leagues. He opted to sign with the Phoenix Roadrunners, rather than the Montreal Canadiens (I'll assume the money was better, and so was the opportunity to play). After a few seasons in the WHA, he left and joined the Habs for the 78-79 season - where he was a part time player, scoring a single goal in his 23 games.... but racked up nearly 40 PIMs.

He was then made Edmonton's first selection in the Expansion draft, and played 38 games for the Oilers before getting dealt to the New York Rangers. He spent the next few season up & down between the NHL and the minors, retired after the 83-84 season.

Pictured are his 75-76 OPC WHA RC, his ITG Enforcers Autograph, and his 79-80 OPC, showing him with the Oilers.

Jim Corsi

Jim Corsi is the player that almost all hockey fans have heard of, but many don't realize it. A lot of you roll your eyes when you hear his name.

If you're thinking that no, you've never heard of a goalie played only 26 career NHL games (all with the 79-80 Oilers) you're probably right, but in the world of "advanced stats", "Corsi" is a word you hear a lot of. A player's Corsi rating refers to plus / minus type rating, but instead of focusing on goals... it's shot attempts. When a player is on the ice, any shot his team takes towards the net (on net, miss, blocked) is a plus, and when the other team does it against the player it's a minus. It's supposed to reflect a team's puck control, scoring opportunities, etc.

It was named after Jim Corsi, becuase why else, he's the one the came up with it - while working for the Buffalo Sabres.

His career was actually a really interesting one. He played in the North American Soccer League (for Montreal) from 1971-73, then played a year in goal at University (Concordia), played in the minors, then signed on with the Nordiques in the WHA. He was up & down between the WHA and the minors until the league folded, and joined the Oilers as a free agent. He didn't finish the year in Edmonton, he was traded to Minnesota (for cash) but never played another NHL game.

He left the NHL after 1980, and went and played pro in Italy from 1980 until 1992. He was the goalie on the Italian National team that tied team Canada 3-3 in 1983 (a Team Canada with Wayne Gretzky!) at the World Championships, and then beat the USA (relegating them for the following year).

He caught on as a goalie coach with the Sabres from 2001-2014, and then with the Blues from 2014-2017.

Corsi never had any cards when he played, but he appeared on these two from ITG's 09-10 Between The Pipes. "The Rival League" subset featured goalies from the WHA. He's got both a base card and an autograph. That base card is the closest thing to a rookie card he'll (likely) ever have.

Don Cutts

Cutts was drafted in 1973 (both the WHA & the NHL) and ultimately signed with the Islanders. His only NHL action was with the Oilers in 1979-80 (they signed him, after joining the league). He spent a couple more seasons playing minor pro, before retiring following the 81-82 season.

Pictured here is his Oilers 10th anniversary card (the only card he's ever had) and a cut signature. Curious that even the Oilers couldn't find a picture of him playing for the Oilers to make those 10th anniversary cards - and the only other photo I could dig up (for the cut) was one of him dressed as an Islander.

Peter Driscoll

Drafted by both the Toronto Maple Leafs & the Vancouver Blazers in 1974, Driscoll (like many others in the 70s) opted for the WHA instead of the NHL.

He played for the Blazers, who moved the Calgary, then signed with the Nordiques after the Cowboys folded. He was then traded to the Indianapolis Racers, where he was part of a fairly famous trade..... he was one of three players that the WHA Oilers acquired in that deal - the main piece being a 17-year-old Wayne Gretzky.

Driscoll joined the NHL Oilers as well, playing in 60 games over the club's first two seasons in the league.

Pictured are his 76-77 OPC WHA Rookie Card, and yet another cut signature!

Dave Dryden

Brother of Ken.

The 1979 Expansion draft was a really weird piece of history (almost as cool as the 1991 Expansion draft. I recommend to anyone to read up on either). Most of the players in the WHA had their NHL rights owned by one of the existing clubs. When the WHA folded and the 4 teams merged into the NHL - All WHA players who had rights owned by NHL clubs were first offered back to their NHL rights holders.

The exception to this was "priority selections" in the Expansion draft, where the 4 WHA teams got to pick 4 players from their existing WHA rosters, and protect them from being reclaimed by their NHL clubs.

Dave Dryden was one such priority selection for Edmonton, denying Buffalo the chance to bring him back.

Dryden actually made his NHL debut in 1961-62 with the New York Rangers, and over the next decade + he spent time in the minors, but also in the NHL with Chicago and Buffalo. He bolted for the WHA's Chicago Cougars for the 74-75 season, and then tended goal for the Oilers in the WHA from 75-76 through the end of the WHA.

1979-80 was the final season of his career, playing in 14 games for the Oilers.

Pictured are his 1967-68 Topps RC, a custom card made by @TheBoxBreaker that was signed TTM, and a 13-14 ITG Stickwork Card.

Bob Dupuis

Another one of the six goalies Edmonton used in 79-80, Bob Dupuis played his one and only game in the NHL on March 9th 1980, in a 5-3 loss at the hands of the Philadelphia Flyers.

Dupuis' other noteworthy hockey moment comes from being the goalie for Team Canada at the 1980 Winter Olympics.

Like others from this season, he never earned any "real" cardboard. You see an Oilers 10th Anniversary insert, along with a custom card I had him sign for me TTM.

Bill Flett

Bill 'Cowboy' Flett was a veteran of 669 NHL games, a career that spanned 10 & Half season, and covered stops in Los Angeles, Toronto, Philadelphia, and Atlanta. During the 1976-77 season, that Atlanta Flames sold his contract to the Edmonton OIlers - and he spent the next 2 & half years in the WHA.

The Oilers retained Flett after the WHA merger, and suited up for 20 games for them in the 1979-80 season. He retired from hockey following the 79-80 season.

Sadly, Flett is one of the few ex-Oilers who have passed away, dying in 1999.

Pictured are 1968-69 OPC Rookie Card, a signed copy of his 74-75 OPC, and his only Oilers card - a 79-80 OPC

Lee Fogolin

Fogolin got his start in Buffalo, after being drafted in the first round of 1974. He was a regular (mostly) in the Buffalo lineup from 74-75 through 78-79. He was claimed by the Oilers in the 1979 Expansion draft (was the Oilers 2nd pick) and was an immediate regular in their lineup the following season.

Fogolin succeed Ron Chipperfield as Captain of the Oilers, (well, it was some weird co-Captaincy in 80-81 that I don't really understand) before some guy named Gretzky took the 'C'. Foglin was around as part of the Oilers cup wins in both 1984, and 1985 - and was named to the NHL All Star Teeam in 1986 (back in the day, they used to add a "vet" player to each team... someone who wasn't really of all star caliber, but whose career was deemed awesome enough to get the nod). He was also a member of the 1976 USA squad at the Canada Cup.

Should note, he's actually "Lee Fogolin Jr.". His father ("Sr") played for the Blackhawks & Red Wings - winning a Stanley Cup in 1950. Very few father / son combos have ever both had their names on the Cup.

He was traded back to Buffalo mid way through the 86-87 season, and retired at the end of the year. He worked as a scout for a while after retirement as well.

Pictured here is his 1975-76 OPC Rookie Card, and an ITG Franchises Autograph.

Mike Forbes

The Oilers' 13th pick in the Expansion draft, saw them pluck Mike Forbes from the Boston Bruins - where he'd made his NHL debut in 77-78 (32 games played) but spent the 78-79 season back in the minors. He lasted four years in the Oilers organization, played in 2 games in 1979-80, and another 16 in 1981-82. Those would be his last NHL contests, and he retried from hocking following the 1986-87 season.

Pictured is his Oilers 10th Anniversary card, and a custom card I sent to him TTM.

Wayne Gretzky

The Great One!

What else can be said about Wayne? He's the greatest hockey player whom ever lived (at least in my opinion, and many experts out there.... but I grant you, good arguments do exist for a few others).

He is the Oilers all time leader in points (1669), goals (583), and assists (1086). Not a bad line for 669 games.

He was the Captain of the team for 5 years, and during that span won 4 Stanley Cups. He was a national icon in Canada, if there ever was one, and the House of Commons actually debated blocking his trade to the Kings

Today, he's actually back working for the team in some kind of executive VP of awesomness role (I don't actually know what he does).

Pictured here are three pretty sweet cards. His iconic 1979-80 OPC Rookie Card, a 2003 UD Trilogy Autograph, and a more recent Trilogy Card, featuring a piece of game-used equipment bag.

When the equipment bag cards came out, I knew a few people thought they were lame - but I thought they were kind cool... so I made a point to grab one before they all dried up. I would very much like to add an Oilers patch card to my collection (would want a big swatch, but not necessarily jumbo), as well as a stick card - hoping for a jumbo sized piece, that's clearly from an old red & white titan.

The Autograph - I actually bought that with the money I made selling a Donruss Justin Beiber Auto I pulled! (and had money left over too). I would be very open to swapping it out for something else.

The Rookie?? I landed that earlier this year, for a price I was happy with. Would always consider a higher PSA grade though, in some kind of "get me an upgrade" swap!

Al Hamilton

His early NHL career was noteworthy, though not spectacular. Hamilton debuted with the Rangers in 1965-66 (4 games). In his NHL debut, he actually knocked out Frank Mahovolich. and played in another 77 for the Blue Shirts over the next 4 years. He had finally become a regular in 69-70, but was left unprotected in the expansion draft, getting claimed bu the Buffalo Sabres. He then made himself a regular in the Sabres' lineup for two seasons, before being one of the original "defectors" and leaving the NHL for the WHA in 1972. He joined the (then) Alberta Oilers, and never left. He was a two-time WHA all-star, and is the Oilers WHA Franchise leader in Games Played, Assists, and Points. He sits 13th in games played, 15th in assists, 40th in points and 38th in penalty minutes (all-time) for the entire WHA. He was part of the innaugral WHA HOF class, was a member of Team Canada's 1974 Summit Series vs the Russians, and was one of very few junior players to ever play in the memorial cup three times (winning once).

He is one of two original Oilers (from 1972) to play for the NHL version of the club, but the only one to not leave in between. His #3 is hung in the rafters in Edmonton - the only retired number not belonging to a member of their Stanley Cup winning teams.

Pictured here are his 68-69 OPC Rookie Card, an ITG "1972 The Year In Hockey" autograph, along with his first Oilers Card - a 1974-75 OPC WHA.

Jim Harrison

You probably just asked "Who was the other one?" when I wrote that Al Hamilton was one of two 1972 (Albert) Oilers (WHA) to also play for them in 1979-80, during the club's first NHL season.

You've probably now guessed that the other was none other than Jim Harrison!

Harrison's pro debut came in 1968-69 with the Boston Bruins. He was back in beantown the following year, but was then traded to the Toronto Maple Leafs, where he played until the end of the 1971-72 season. Like many others, he left the NHL for the WHA - and like Al Hamilton, he became a member of the Alberta Oilers.

Harrison holds the WHA record for points in a game, scoring 3 goals & 7 assists during an 11-3 win over the New York Raiders. That mark was only equaled in the NHL once, by Daryl Sittler 3 years later.

He's also a record holder in the Western Hockey League (junior) having scored the fastest natural hatrick in league history: Needing only 24 seconds to do the deed, leading his Estvan Bruins over the Regina Pats back in 1966.

After two years in Edmonton, Harrison left for the Cleveland Crusaders, and after two years there left the WHA for a return to the NHL, with the Chicago Blackhawks. He played three seasons in Chicago, before joining the Oilers in 1979-80, where he played his final three NHL games

Pictured are his 70-71 OPC Rookie Card, and a signed copy of his 77-78 OPC.

Doug Hicks

The #6 pick in the 1974 draft, and was an immediate mainstay on the North Stars blue line. He built an "Iron Man" reputation for himself early in his career - missing only 1 game in his first three seasons.

He was traded to the Black Hawks, midway through the 77-78 season, and the Oilers claimed him in the 1979 Expansion Draft. He played two and half seasons in Edmonton, before getting traded to Washington.

Pictured is his 77-78 OPC Rookie Card, and a signed copy of his 80-81 OPC

Dave Hunter

A 1st round draft pick of the Montreal Canadiens in 1978 (17th overall) Hunter opted to sign with the Oilers in the WHA instead. He played the final WHA season, and then joined the OIlers after the merger as well.

Hunter spent the first seasons of his NHL career in Edmonton, winning 3 Stanley Cups. He was then part of the package sent to Pittsburgh in 1987, along with Paul Coffey. He played one more season, splitting time between Winnipeg & Edmonton.

Pictured are his 79-80 OPC Rookie Card, and an ITG Franchise Autograph.

Kevin Lowe

If there's one player from the Stanley Cup era that doesn't have his number retired, and probably deserves is, it's Kevin Lowe. The bar seems to be set at "hall of fame" and he's not quite there, so that's likely why he's never been given that honour. He's often on lists of players who are considered strong candidates for the Hall though.

Kevin Lowe was the Oilers first ever NHL draft pick, being selected in the first round of the 1979 Entry Draft, 21st overall. In the Oilers first NHL game, Lowe would score the team's first goal.

He would play the first 13 seasons of his NHL career in Edmonton: Winning 5 Stanley Cups, playing in 6 All Star Games, and winning the King Clancy Trophy in 1990. After Mark Messier was traded to the Rangers, Lowe would be named Captain of the team. His tenure as Captain did not last long. He followed Messier to New York, being traded for Roman Oksuita & a 3rd round pick.

With the Rangers, Lowe would win another Stanley Cup (his 6th) and play in one more All Star game (his 7th).

Following the 1995-96 season, Lowe was an unrestricted free agent - and opted to come back to where his career started, and signed on to play with the Oilers once more. He played the final two years of his career in Edmonton, retiring as the team's career leader in games played, with 1037.

Following his retirement, Lowe joined the Oilers coaching staff, working as an assistant coach. He was named head coach in 1999, but spent only one year behind the bench. He was named General Manager after Glen Sather left for New York.

Lowe would hold down the GM's job for 8 years, before being promoted to President of Hockey Operations. He still works for the Oilers, now as the vice-Chairman of the Oilers Entertainment Group.

Pictured are Lowe's 1980-81 OPC Rookie, a 1994-95 Be A Player autograph, and a 2017 Leaf ITGU Quad patch card featuring Lowe, along with Randy Carlyle, Dave Babych, and Larry Murphy.

There are a handful of ITG "single" player game used cards out there, I'd very much like to swap to one of those.

Ron Low

His NHL journey started in 1970, when he was drafted 103rd overall by the Toronto Maple Leafs. He would only play one season in Toronto (72-73) before getting taken in the Expansion draft by the Washington Capitals. On February 16th, 1975, he recorded the first shutout in Capitals history. After three years with the Caps, he spent two seasons in the Red Wings organization - but more time in the minors than with the big club. He was then taken in the 1979 Expansion Draft (I wonder how many players have been taken in multiple expansion drafts??) but not by the Oilers, he was a selection of the Quebec Nordiques!He started the season in Quebec, but a mid season trade for Oilers Captain - Ron Chipperfield - brought Low to Edmonton. He started 11 games for the Oilers in 79-80.

He remained an Oiler for the next two seasons, but was up & down between the NHL & the minors. He was traded to the Devils during the 82-83 season. He returned to the Oilers org for the 85-86 season, the last of his pro career, which was spent with their minor league club in Nova Scotia.

Low would almost immediately move behind the bench. He was named head coach of the Oilers AHL team (still in Nova Scotia) for the 1987-88 season, and joined the NHL club as an assistant in the 1989-90 season. He was promoted to Head Coach during the 94-95 season, and held that job until the end of the 98-99 season. He went on to coach the New York Rangers for a couple of seasons too.

Pictured here are four cards: His 1972-73 OPC Rookie Card, a 2010-11 BTP Autograph, a 2018 President's Choice Tapejob, and his 1982-83 OPC.

Dave Lumley

Drafted by both leagues in 1974, Lumley opted to sign with the Montreal Canadiens in the NHL, over the Vancouver Blazers of the WHA.

He did make his NHL debut with the Habs, playing 3 games for them in 78-79 season. He'd was traded to Edmonton, prior to the start of the 79-80 season, and his career took off.

Over the next four seasons in Edmonton, he'd score 72 goals (including 32, with 74 points, in just 66 games in 81-82). He was part of the the Oilers first Cup in 1984.

The 1984-85 season didn't start as planned for Lumley. He was claimed off waiver by the Hartford Whalers, where he played the next 48 games. The Whalers then waived him, and he was reclaimed by Edmonton - joining them for the rest of the season, and winning his second Stanley Cup.

Lumley played a limited role the following year, and retired 1 game into the 1986-87 season.

Pictured are his 80-81 OPC Rookie Card, and his 2013 Upper Deck Franchise Inks Autograph

Blair MacDonald

He chose the WHA's Oilers over the NHL's Kings back in 1973, after getting drafted to both leagues. He spent the first three years of his pro career in Edmonton, before getting traded to the Indianapolis Racers, during the 1975-76 season. He played out that season in Indy, and then one more, but was traded back to Edmonton - where he would eventually formed one of the WHA's top lines, with Brett Callighen & Wayne Gretzky.

He made the jump to the NHL with the Oilers, and had the best season of his career in 1979-80, scoring a whooping 46 goals (that Gretzky guy on his line might have had something to do with it?). He was traded to Vancouver mid-way through the 80-81 season, where he'd play his last NHL games in 1982-83. After 4 more seasons playing in Europe, he retired from hockey.

Pictured are his 1976-77 OPC WHA Rookie Card, his 77-78 OPC WHA, and a Cut Signature

Kari Makkonen

Makkonen's NHL career was a brief one. He was a star was Assat in the Finish Elite League for four season, then came over to play with Edmonton in 1979-80 season. He played only 9 games for the Oilers, scoring a couple of goals, and spent the rest of the season in the minors, with Houston.

After the 79-80 season, he returned to Assat, where he went back to being a star in Finland. He retired in 1991, and got into coaching a few years later. He was named head coach of Jukurit in 2007, and has been the head coach ever since. Makkonen is also a member of the Finnish Hockey Hall of Fame.

Pictured are his Oilers 10th Anniversary card (his only card), and a signed index card.

Mark Messier

Like Gretzky, what needs to be said about Mark Messier? Everyone knows this guy's story....

Like Gretzky, Messier spent the 78-79 season in the WHA. He started with the Indianapolis Racers, and then was dealt to the Cincinnati Stingers.He was then put into the NHL draft, and a little piece of trade history makes his pick that much more interesting. The Oilers picked at the end of each round. Part of the WHA merger deal let teams protect 4 players, but draft-eligible players were not supposed to be allowed. Oilers owner, Peter Pocklington, was smart though - he had signed Gretzky to a personal services contract, rather than a standard WHA contract (as if anything in the WHA was ever standard). There was some back-and-forth, but the NHL ultimately did let the Oilers keep Gretzky. Part of the "cost" for the league allowing it... was they had to pick last.

Well, the Oilers had the 42nd pick, the last pick in the 2nd round. Instead of using it, they traded it. They got Dave Semenko from the North Stars, and moved down to #48 in round 3. The North Stars drafted Neal Broten, and the Oilers picked Mark Messier (Guy Carbonneau & 4 guys I never heard of were taken in between them).

Messier, of course, went on to become one of the greatest players in history. He was 2nd in all time scoring when he retired, but was just passed this year by Jaromir Jagr. He won four Stanley Cups with the Gretzky-led Oilers, a 5th as the leader of the Oilers in 1990, and a 6th with the New York Rangers in 1994. He's widely regarded as one of the greatest leaders in the history of the game, and now has an annual award for leadership named after him.

When he retired, Messier was the final ex-WHA player to hang up his skates.

Pictured are his 1980-81 OPC Rookies Card, a Cup Enshrinements Autograph, a Leaf ITG Draft Prospect Patch Card (that patch is a beauty) and a Panini National Treasures "Buried Treasure".

That National Treasures falls out of the scope of what I normally collect, but the cards are amazing. I had to have it. I am looking for a jumbo stick type card of Messier.

Ed Mio

Eddie Mio was drafted by both the NHL's Chicago Blackhawks, and the WHA's Vancouver Blazers in 1974. He would never end up playing for either team. He toiled in the minors for a few years, and then made his major pro debut in 1977-78 with the Indianapolis Racers in the WHA. Early in the 78-79 season, Mio was part of trio of players (the already mentioned Peter Driscoll, and Wayne Gretzky!) that was dealt to Edmonton. He finished the final year of the WHA with the Oilers, and wouldn't be going anywhere.

Mio was one of four players protected by Edmonton, as priority sections, in the 1979 Expansion Draft, denying Minnesota the right to re-claim him (I assume his NHL rights had been traded somewhere along the way).

He was one of six goalies that season for Edmonton, leading all netminders with 34 games. He was the team's defacto #1 again in 80-81, playing 43 times - but didn't make the team out of camp in the 81-82 season, displaced by Grant Fuhr. He started the year in the minors, but was traded to the New York Rangers. After two seasons with the Rangers, he was dealt again - this time to the Detroit Red Wings. He split time between the NHL and AHL over the next three seasons, before retiring.

Pictured are Mio's 1980-81 OPC Rookie Card, and an ITG Franchise Autograph, stamped from the National in Chicago

Don Murdoch

The #6 pick in the 1976 entry draft, Murdoch made his NHL debut with the Rangers as a 20 year old in the 1976-77 season, scoring at nearly a point-per-game pace (56, in 59). He is still a co-record holder for the most goals scored in a single game by a rookie (5) , doing it vs the North Stars on October 12th 1976. Both Howie Meeker (1947) and Joe Malone (1918) have accomplished the same feat, but nobody since.

Midway through his fourth season with the Rangers (79-80), he was dealt to Edmonton for Cam Connor & a draft pick. He played out the rest of the year in Edmonton, and split time between the Oilers & the Wichita Wind in 80-81. His Oilers tenure came to an end on August 21st of 1981: He was first traded to Minnesota for Don Jackson & a 3rd round pick in 1982, only to have the North Stars flip him to Detroit for a 1st round pick in 1982 (which turned out to be Brian Bellows). He split time the following season between the Red Wings & their AHL affiliate, and then spent three years playing in the IHL before retiring.

Pictured are his 1977-78 OPC Rookie Card, and ITG Franchise Autograph, and his 80-81 OPC

Dan Newman

Signed by the NHL Rangers after going undrafted, Newman played 100 games for them between the 1976-77 & 1977-78 seasons. He was then claimed on waivers, and joined the Montreal Canadiens for the 78-79 season. He played only 16 games for the Habs in the regular season, and one more in the playoffs. While he got to participate in the celebration, his name was not included on the Stanley Cup the Habs won that year.

He was traded to Edmonton during the 79-80 season, and played 10 games for the big club - but like his time in Montreal, he still found himself in the minors more often than not. Newman would retire at the end of the season.

Pictured are his 1977-78 OPC Rookie Card, and a signed copy of this 78-79 OPC.

Paul Popeil

In 2007, the New York Islander & recalled centre Frans Neilson were a little bit surprised: They believed he was the first Danish-born player in the NHL history. Turned out Paul Popeil had beat him by about 40 years! Popeil was not a Danish citizen though (born there, immigrated to the USA a young child)so Neilson still holds claim to being the first citizen of Denmark to make the NHL.

Popeil made his NHL debut with the Boston Bruins, in 1965-66 season, playing in three games. The blue liner would spend the next 4 seasons up & down between the NHL and minors, with stops in Los Angeles & Detroit. He signed with the Vancouver Cancuks for the 70-71 season, and the sturdy dman found himsel a mainstay on their blueline, playing in 78 games. The next season would be another spent bouncing between the NHL & AHL - so for the 72-73 season, Popeil made himself amoung th efirst group of "defectors" going to the WHA.

He spent the next six seasons as a mainstay on the Houston blueline, before retiring. He came out of retirement to join the 79-80 Oilers, but played only 10 games for the big club. He spent the bulk of the season with the Houston Appolos.

The 80-81 season would see Popeil sign on to play for the Muskegon Mohawks in the IHL. He retired as a player after only 12 games, but was then named the team's head coach.

Pictured are his 1965-66 Topps Rookie Card, and an ITG 1972 Autograph.

Pat Price

Edmonton's 3rd selection in the 1979 Expansion Draft, defenseman Pat Price was plucked from the New York Islanders, where he'd played the prior 5 seasons. Before joining the Islanders, Price played one season for the Vancouver Blazers in the WHA, after they made him the first pick in the 1974 WHA Entry Draft (Islanders took him 11th in the NHL draft of the same year).

Price was a regular in Edmonton's inaugural lineup, skating in 75 games. He was traded to the Pittsburgh Penguins midway through the 80-81 season for Pat Hughes. Price would go onto play the next seven seasons in the NHL, with stops in Quebec, New York (Rangers), and finally Minnesota. He logged over 700 games before retiring after the 87-88 season.

Pictured are 1976-77 OPC Rookie Card, an ITG Franchises Autograph, and his 80-81 OPC.

Bobby Schmautz

With only 29 games played, Schmautz was not an Oiler for very long. He had the pleasure of being traded twice during the 1979-80 season.

After starting his NHL career in Chicago, in 1967-68, he was claimed by St. Louis in the NHL's original expansion draft back in 1969. He never played for the Blues, and was instead dealt to the Montreal Canadiens, his second NHL club for which he'd never play a game. He wound up in Vancouver in the 1970-71 season, and was a regular for them until his trade mid-way through the 1973-74 season to Boston. While not an every day player with the Bruins, he would never again see the minor leagues.

The 1979-80 season brought a few changes for Schmautz. As I mentioned before, the Oilers acquired him part way though the season in a trade with Boston, for the ever popular "future considerations". After 29 games in Edmonton, the Oilers dealt him to Colorado for Don Ashby.

He would play one more season in the NHL, signing back with the Canucks, where he enjoyed his first real prolonged success as an NHLer.

Pictured are Schmautz's 1972-73 OPC Rookie Card, and an ITG 1972 'The Year in Hockey' Autograph.

Dave Semenko

Gretzky wouldn't have been as good without Dave Semenko there to protect him. It's a story you hear (mostly) from three groups of people: Hockey fans that insist Gordie Howe was the greatest player of all time, fans that insist Bobby Orr was the greatest, or fans that insist Mario Lemieux was the greatest. It's an argument that I've never bought into, but it's out there.

There is no question that Semenko was one of the NHL's more feared enforcers for most of the 1980s, racking up 1175 PIMs in just 565 NHL games, and had over 70 fights during his 9 years in the NHL.

Semenko was drafted by both Houston (WHA) and Minnesota (NHL) in the respective league's 1977 Entry drafts, but he was dealt to the Edmonton Oilers prior to the 77-78 season starting. He played for the Oilers during their two final WHA campaigns, and actually scored the final goal in WHA league history.

The 1979 Expansion / Dispersal / Priority / Reclamation Draft (seriously, you should look up how that 1979 merger worked) saw Semenko's NHL rights reverted back to Minnesota.... and then traded back to Edmonton in a deal that worked wonders for one of the four new NHL teams: Semenko & Minnesota's 3rd round pick, to Edmonton for a 2nd & 3rd. Essentially Edmonton traded a 2nd round pick (42nd overall) for Semenko but got to move from 63 to 48 in the 3rd round as well. A brief mention of this deal before: It allowed the North Stars to take Neal Brotten @ #42, and the Oilers would get Mark Messier @ #48. Minny then drafted Kevin Maxwell with the 63rd pick - we'll call it a wash?

Semenko played for Edmonton until he was traded to Hartford during the 86-87 season, winning a pair of Cups with the Oilers along the way. He played one more year after that, finishing his career with the Toronto Maple Leafs. He'd later scout for the Oilers.

I'm also fairly certain he's the only NHLer to have got into the ring and boxed against Mohammed Ali.

Pictured are his 1979-80 OPC Rookie Card, and 06-07 Parkhurst Autograph, and an ITG Tough Customers Stickwork.

Risto Siltanen

A star in his native Finland, Siltanen was drafted in the 11th round of the NHL enry draft by the St. Louis Blues. Like many players during the 70s, he opted to sign in the WHA instead of the NHL - joining the Edmonton Oilers during the final WHA season. He was reclaimed by the Blues during the expansion draft, but was able to get released, and sign with Edmonton into the NHL anyway.Siltanen spent 3 seasons in Edmonton, scoring 38 goals. He was traded to Harford after the 81-82 season, where he's play another 3+ seasons, getting dealt to the Nordiques midway through the 85-86 season. He played one more year in Quebec, before returning to Europe, where he continued to play until the end of the 1996-97 season.

Pictured are his 1980-81 OPC Rookie Card, and a signed copy of his 82-83 OPC.

Alec Tidey

Alex or Alec? Depends on where you read the reference. Clearly the Oilers siad "Alex" based on the picture to the left, but the signature on the right says "Alec"!

Tidey was drafted by both the Buffalo Sabres in the NHL, and the San Diego Mariners of the WHA, in 1975. He spent the 75-76 with San Diego, but then bolted for Buffalo the following offseason. The move didn't get him into many games though. He laced 'em up for 70+ in San Diego, he played just 4 for the Sabres over the next two seasons.

He signed with the Oilers for the 79-80 season, and played in 5 games; spending the rest of the year in the minors. He spent one more season in the minors, and retired after the 80-81 season.

Pictured are his Oilers 10th Anniversary card (his only card) and a cut signature.

Mike Toal

The Oilers hit on their first three picks of the 1979 Entry draft (Lowe, Messier, Glenn Anderson), Toal - unfortunately - was one of the three that wern't such great hits.
    He was an all star in junior, with Portland in the WHL, so the Oilers made him a 5th round draft pick. He signed, and made him NHL debut with the Oilers in the 79-80 season, playing 3 games - but spending most the year in the minors. He played two more years in the minors before retiring from hockey.

Pictured are his Oilers 10th Anniversary card, and a cut signature.

Stan Weir

The first ever graduate of Glen Sather's hockey school to make the NHL! (Yup, Slats was coaching long before he was made an NHL coach).

After scoring 110 goals (244 points) in two seasons with Medicine Hat, Stan Weir was drafted in the 2nd round of the 1972 Entry draft, by the California Golden Seals. He made the team right away, and joined the NHL for the 1972-73 season.

Weird played three years in California, before the Toronto Maple Leafs traded for him, and he began the 1975-76 on the Leafs roster. His production was never quite what the Leafs had hoped for, so he was sent to the minors in 77-78, but was recalled before the end of the year, after scoring at better than a point-per-game pace in with Tusla in the CHL.

That offseason, Weir opted to sign with the Edmonton Oilers in the WHA. He had a pretty good WHA campaign, putting up 31 goals. The WHA, of course, merged / folded / whatever you want to call it - and Weir's NHL rights were reclaimed by the Leafs during the 1979 Expansion draft. They waived him shortly there after, and the Oilers reclaimed him.

The best season of his NHL career would happen in 79-80: He put up 33 goals, and 66 points.

Weir played nearly two more full seasons in Edmonton, but what happened next was kind of odd. He was traded to the Colorado Rockies in March of 1982, and played 10 games for them before the end of the year. The player Edmonton got in return was Ed Cooper, and Cooper (unknown to Edmonton at the time) was injured. The league eventually ruled that the trade should be undone, and Weir was returned to Edmonton in the offseason. He didn't make it through the summer as an Oiler though, they shipped him off to Detroit for cash. He played a season in Detroit, and then a couple more in the minors & Senior 'A', before retiring in 1985.

Pictured are his 74-75 OPC Rookie Card, an ITG 1972 Autograph, and his 81-82 OPC.
    Last edited by 30ranfordfan; 09-21-2018 at 08:16 PM.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Great show, Sean, It was a long time coming and I can't wait to see the rest as you post them.

Joe
    PrimeTimePawich
    Collecting Larry Murphy Autographed, Game-Used and 1 of 1 Cards
    Got something I might need? E-mail me at Hidden Content
    Collection: Hidden Content

Assistant General Manager

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

As always Sean love your posts. Look forward to the next installment.

DON

SCF Rewards
    Country

Great stuff with a very easy to read format too. Thanks for showing it off.
    Selling All My Cards Here------>Hidden Content

Baseball Autograph and Game Used Only Trade Page: pwaldo.webs.com/
    //s123.photobucket.com/albums/o299/pwaldo/

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    CnC (21)
    Country
    Toronto Maple Leafs Calgary Flames NULL
    Twitter: @@creasecollector Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack My traders on Flickr

So this is insane.... Love seeing your collection !
    Jhonas Enroth Card Collector & Host of the Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    View my Hidden Content | My Hidden Content | Complete Hidden Content | Card Blog Hidden Content