Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

SCF Rewards
    Country

Not a big name guy, by any means... But I think my favorite is Chuck Stevens. When Bobby Doerr passed, I started researching the oldest living players. Chuck was at (or near) the top of the list. He was the first player to get a hit in the big leagues against Satchel Paige. He was also the Secretary Treasurer for the APBPA (an early precursor to the MLBPA). I looked all over for a card, but most of his issues were from the minor leagues. Since he played for the St. Louis Browns, and I'm a St. Louis native, I wanted something in a Browns uniform. So, I sent an 89 Bowman Paige reprint, two copies of a custom (offering one for him to keep), and a standard size card with the ABPBA logo and his title and years of service. He signed BOTH customs and the APBPA card, but declined to sign the Paige card. I learned after I got the return that he had quit signing TTM about a month before I sent to him. I'm guessing he made an exception because he saw the time I put into making the customs and because I appreciated his service with the APBPA. He passed away about a month later with no successes listed after mine. Now, I know there are other forums out there. Some are bigger than SCF. But, I like to think that I have his last autographs.

Webp.net-resizeimage (11).jpg

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    The Bench (105)
    Country
    Kansas City Royals Chicago Bears St Louis Blues

Head and shoulders my favorite return story. Wrote to Mr. Raymond Berry in 2015, sending an index card only. In my letter I told him I have 2 young daughters and we are Christians. Ten days later I receive an 8x10 envelope with a card and a 5x7 autographed, with a note on my index card saying that when he saw I had 2 daughters that he wanted to send something to them. Also included were 2 dvds about Israel for my children! On top of that, I noticed as I was throwing away his envelope that his phone number was on his return address sticker! After much consideration I called him to thank him for his generosity, leaving a message on his answering machine, expecting to NEVER hear from him. I did not bother to leave my phone number in the message, because I knew there was no point. When I got off of work the next day my wife was feverishly trying to get my attention while she was talking on the phone. She was talking to Mr. Berry! I proceeded to talk to him for an hour and a half about his time with the Baltimore Colts, Super Bowl XX, and our faith. HANDS DOWN THE NICEST MAN I HAVE EVER TALKED TO! AN AWESOME ONCE AND A LIFETIME OPPORTUNITY I WILL ALWAYS CHERISH!

WOW. That is super cool, I always thought him to be a nice man, but that is just awesome! If you don't mind me asking,, what did he say about Super Bowl XX?

SCF Rewards
    Country

He told me that he had an A,B,C plan. If plan A didn't work, they would move to plan B, and so on. He said that it was like a bunch of 1st graders (the Patriots) playing against a team with their PHD (the Bears). He said that for a long time that he was angry about the loss, but isn't and hasnt been for a while.

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    The Bench (105)
    Country
    Kansas City Royals Chicago Bears St Louis Blues

He told me that he had an A,B,C plan. If plan A didn't work, they would move to plan B, and so on. He said that it was like a bunch of 1st graders (the Patriots) playing against a team with their PHD (the Bears). He said that for a long time that he was angry about the loss, but isn't and hasnt been for a while.

That is so cool! I remember Steve McMichael saying that no one who had ever played the game of football being able to do a darn thing against the Bears that night, and 46-10 really proved that! Such a cool story, thanks so much for sharing!!

SCF Rewards
    Country

I started doing TTM in 2004, so I was able to get some guys before they stopped signing through the mail. So guys like Greg Maddux, Mark McGwire, Mariano Rivera (on a ball), Mike Trout, Joe Torre, Ozzie Smith, Felix Hernandez, Marvin Miller, Bowie Kuhn, and a lot of other HOFers/stars.
    Owner of 244 unique Baseball HOFer Autographs

Collecting signed sets: 14, 15, 16, 18, 19 Topps Heritage Minors

SCF Rewards
    Country

Very cool

SCF Rewards
    Country

Hands down Dwayne Michael Carter Jr.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12