Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See redwingsfan11's Items on eBay

Thumbs up 2018 Review: Top 15 + The year of Aho (Collection Showcase) [Scan Heavy]

2018 Review: Top 15 + The year of Aho (Collection Showcase) [Scan Heavy]

Hi everyone,

I'm a bit late to the party, but for the past few years I've done a year in review. This year was quite interesting to say the least with the hobby taking a bit more a back seat role (may not seem that way) compared to other things that surround life. But i'd say it was more of a bookend year for me as the end of one chapter and the beginning of another. I'm normally a very talkative guy, but this year I will let the cards do more of the talking for me. However, I must always mention the good about collecting. Honestly, over the years, I have been blessed to make friends with some fellow collectors. One thing that will never change for me is that there is not many better ways to enjoy the passing of time than talking about hockey and cards. Its what brings me a bit closer to cards whenever I feel like pulling away. Speaking of which, though the cards featured below may not support this claim, over the past few months or so, I have been trying to make a mental effort in cutting back my pickups a bit. If you were to take a look at my entire collection on Flickr, you would see so many different players. However, I've come to recognize that maybe it would be best if I went back to my roots and try to focus much more on Zetterberg & Kovalchuk, Kopitar, Nash, Spezza, Datsyuk. Also mixing in with them a few players that I really feel that have caught my eye & heart more so than others (Aho & Forsberg). I will most likely keep most of the other players collections as they will be very hard to move as a whole and contained so many jersey numbered variations. But nonetheless, from here on out, I will be far more selective with my buying. Well so much for not wanting to talk eh? Lol

Without further adieu, lets get started with the top 15 & my Aho collection.

Honorable Mentions: Just because I just received this and am so satisfied by it from the the card stock, the gloss & the fact that finding rarer Kovalchuk rookies these days are SO few and far between. On top of that it came from a Facebook group which has really pulled through this year with regard to finding some pretty rare cards. Even found a jersey numbered Zetterberg UD Game Jersey Auto 40/50. Couldn't make a deal for it, but just the mere act of finding it was SO exciting for me!

Ilya Kovalchuk 01/02 Topps Stadium Club Master Photo Rookie /100 (1) by Timothy Wong, on Flickr

Also want to show some appreciation to one of my most favorite shot forms in all of hockey. I know he didn't last long and was controversial, but I would give anything to see him shoot the puck like he did in his prime. Damn wrist injury =(

Jersey Numbered 28/100
    Alexander Semin 03/04 UD Black Diamond Rookie Gems Emerald 28/100 (1) by Timothy Wong, on Flickr

Jersey Numbered 28/67
    Alexander Semin 03/04 UD Beehive Rookie 28/67 (1) by Timothy Wong, on Flickr

Teuvo Teravainen 14/15 UD Young Guns Canvas Auto Buyback /10 (1) by Timothy Wong, on Flickr

Teuvo Teravainen 14/15 UD Young Guns Acetate (1) by Timothy Wong, on Flickr

13. Jersey Numbered 71/175
    Dylan Larkin 15/16 UD Ultimate Rookies Autograph Retro 71/175 (1) by Timothy Wong, on Flickr

12. Jersey Numbered 17/50
    Ilya Kovalchuk 01/02 BAP Ultimate Memorabilia 2nd Ed. Game Used Stick And Jersey 17/50 [BGS 8.5] (1) by Timothy Wong, on Flickr
    Ilya Kovalchuk 01/02 BAP Ultimate Memorabilia 2nd Ed. Game Used Stick And Jersey 17/50 [BGS 8.5] (2) by Timothy Wong, on Flickr

11. Took far too long to find!!! This was the hardest SP label card I ever encountered in my personal journey. Since 2011!!!
    Rick Nash 02/03 UD SPA Sign of the Times Auto SP (1) by Timothy Wong, on Flickr

10. Like the Nash above, I'm not sure i've ever seen another one aside from this since I began collecting in 2011
    Rick Nash 02/03 Bowman YoungStars Fabric of the Future Triple Stuff /10 (1) by Timothy Wong, on Flickr

9. My first ever game used/issued stick! From one of my PC players. Didn't come with any paperwork, but I trust the source and it came REALLY cheap to the point where it was worth the risk.
    Jason Spezza Game Used Sherwood SOP 9950 Signed Stick (1) by Timothy Wong, on Flickr

8.Beauty card and came from one of the best Kopitar collections in the world!
    Anze Kopitar 06/07 UD Sweet Spot Signature Shots Stick Signings Auto /25 (1) by Timothy Wong, on Flickr

7. Always great to knock off a really rare Zetterberg rookie as I've gotten to the point where that's all is left. But unfortunately it didn't come in the best condition =(. May look for an upgrade, but still really good to have nonetheless
    Henrik Zetterberg 02/03 BAP Memorabilia Emerald Rookie /10 (1) by Timothy Wong, on Flickr

Filip Forsberg 13/14 Panini National Treasures Rookie Patch Auto /9 (1) by Timothy Wong, on Flickr

5. Jersey Numbered 9/99
    Filip Forsberg 13/14 Panini National Treasures Rookie Treasures Patch Auto 9/99 [BGS 9} by Timothy Wong, on Flickr

4. Actually put a bid on this while I was at a Rangers game at the Garden last season lmfao. Card collecting knows no bounds haha
    Filip Forsberg 13/14 UD Young Guns Acetate [BGS 9.5] by Timothy Wong, on Flickr

3. Needed this when I first seen it on the checklist. One of only 5 Zetterberg collectors in the world to have both tribute versions & regular versions
    Henrik Zetterberg 02/03 UD Premier Super Rookie Gold /5 (1) by Timothy Wong, on Flickr

2.What!?! This looks out of place huh? Well this card initiated the friendship I made this year which was really cool! Yes it being jersey numbered is cool and all, but I will keep this card for what is attached to it!
    Owen Tippett 17/18 UD SPGU Authentic Rookies Rainbow 74/218 (1) by Timothy Wong, on Flickr

NUMBER ONE HAS TO WAIT THOUGH!!! Because its AHO time =)

What draws me so much to Aho is how he plays the game. He has tremendous sense, intensity & creativity. He can grind it and he can dance. Those are the players you need in today's game. No he isn't a McDavid, Matthews, Eichel and etc. but I would PAY to watch this kid play hockey. There are only a handful of players who you can say that about. Here are the main highlights of my collection, which mostly came from this year I believe. I won't be able to get all Aho rookie year cards any time soon now that he's risen over time, but I try my best to hold out for Jersey numbered parallels (20/xxxx) which you will see many of below. So if you have any give me a shout out. Whether they are available or not, I always love to see them =)

I LOVE mini cards! On top of that Jersey Numbered 20/27? Well of course its a must buy, rookie year or not!
    Sebastian Aho 17/18 UD OPC Mini 20/27 (1) by Timothy Wong, on Flickr
    Sebastian Aho 17/18 UD OPC Mini 20/27 (2) by Timothy Wong, on Flickr

Seismic Gold cards are some of my most favorite parallels out there! Jersey Numbered 20/50
    Sebastian Aho 17/18 UD OPC Platinum Seismic Gold 20/50 (1) by Timothy Wong, on Flickr
    Sebastian Aho 17/18 UD OPC Platinum Seismic Gold 20/50 (2) by Timothy Wong, on Flickr

My first and only High Gloss
    Sebastian Aho 17/18 UD Series 1 High Gloss /10 (1) by Timothy Wong, on Flickr

Sebastian Aho 18/19 UD OPC Scratch-Off (1) by Timothy Wong, on Flickr

Sebastian Aho 16/17 UD Compendium S3 Base Set Gold (1) by Timothy Wong, on Flickr

Sebastian Aho 16/17 UD Fleer Showcase Ex Essential Credentials Now /23 (1) by Timothy Wong, on Flickr

Sebastian Aho 16/17 UD Fleer Showcase Precious Metal Gems Emerald /10 (1) by Timothy Wong, on Flickr

JERSEY NUMBERED 20/50
    Sebastian Aho 16/17 UD Fleer Showcase Skybox Premium Prospects Red 20/50 (1) by Timothy Wong, on Flickr

Sebastian Aho 16/17 UD Fleer Showcase Skybox Premium Prospects Sparkling Diamonds /5 (1) by Timothy Wong, on Flickr

Facebook group purchase =)
    Sebastian Aho 16/17 UD Ice Premiers Die Cut SP (1) by Timothy Wong, on Flickr

Jersey Numbered 20/199
    Sebastian Aho 16/17 UD OPC Platinum Marquee Rookies Red Prism 20/199 (1) by Timothy Wong, on Flickr
    Sebastian Aho 16/17 UD OPC Platinum Marquee Rookies Red Prism 20/199 (2) by Timothy Wong, on Flickr

Jersey Numbered 20/99
    Sebastian Aho 16/17 UD OPC Platinum Marquee Rookies Blue Cubes 20/99 (1) by Timothy Wong, on Flickr
    Sebastian Aho 16/17 UD OPC Platinum Marquee Rookies Blue Cubes 20/99 (2) by Timothy Wong, on Flickr

Jersey Numbered 20/50
    Sebastian Aho 16/17 UD OPC Platinum Marquee Rookies Seismic Gold 20/50 (1) by Timothy Wong, on Flickr
    Sebastian Aho 16/17 UD OPC Platinum Marquee Rookies Seismic Gold 20/50 (2) by Timothy Wong, on Flickr

Jersey Numbered 20/25
    Sebastian Aho 16/17 UD OPC Platinum Marquee Rookies Rainbow Orange 20/25 (1) by Timothy Wong, on Flickr
    Sebastian Aho 16/17 UD OPC Platinum Marquee Rookies Rainbow Orange 20/25 (2) by Timothy Wong, on Flickr

Sebastian Aho 16/17 UD OPC Platinum Marquee Rookies Emerald Surge /10 (1) by Timothy Wong, on Flickr

Jersey Numbered 20/149
    Sebastian Aho 16/17 UD OPC Platinum Marquee Rookies Retro Gold 20/149 (1) by Timothy Wong, on Flickr
    Sebastian Aho 16/17 UD OPC Platinum Marquee Rookies Retro Gold 20/149 (2) by Timothy Wong, on Flickr

Jersey Numbered 20/49
    Sebastian Aho 16/17 UD OPC Platinum Marquee Rookies Retro Orange 20/49 (1) by Timothy Wong, on Flickr
    Sebastian Aho 16/17 UD OPC Platinum Marquee Rookies Retro Orange 20/49 (2) by Timothy Wong, on Flickr

Would love to find the jersey numbered version 20/25
    Sebastian Aho 16/17 UD Overtime Next In Line Red /25 (1) by Timothy Wong, on Flickr

Sebastian Aho 16/17 UD Overtime Next In Line Blue /10 (1) by Timothy Wong, on Flickr

Jersey Numbered 20/25
    Sebastian Aho 16/17 UD Portraits Blue Foil 20/25 (1) by Timothy Wong, on Flickr

Cards of this set will always remind me of the Kovalchuk 01/02 Premier Signatures Black /5 I need
    Sebastian Aho 16/17 UD Premier Rookie Auto Blue /5 (1) by Timothy Wong, on Flickr

Jersey Numbered 20/25
    Sebastian Aho 16/17 UD Premier Rookie Auto Patch Gold 20/25 (1) by Timothy Wong, on Flickr

Jersey Numbered 20/25
    Sebastian Aho 16/17 UD Premier Rookie Premium Patch 20/25 (1) by Timothy Wong, on Flickr

Would love to find the jersey numbered version 20/25
    Sebastian Aho 16/17 UD Series 2 Rookie Materials Patch /25 (1) by Timothy Wong, on Flickr

Sebastian Aho 16/17 UD SPA Future Watch Spectrum Level 2 Gold /50 (1) by Timothy Wong, on Flickr

Jersey Numbered 20/219
    Sebastian Aho 16/17 UD SPGU Authentic Rookies Player Age E-Pack 20/219 (1) by Timothy Wong, on Flickr

Sebastian Aho 16/17 UD SPGU Authentic Rookies Black Rainbow [E-Pack Exclusive] (1) by Timothy Wong, on Flickr

Jersey Numbered 20/49
    Sebastian Aho 16/17 UD SPGU Authentic Rookies Patch 20/49 (1) by Timothy Wong, on Flickr

One of the BEST looking cards in person I have ever seen. Amazing parallel set!
    Sebastian Aho 16/17 UD Ultimate Introductions Rookies /6 (1) by Timothy Wong, on Flickr

Sebastian Aho 16/17 UD Ultimate Introductions Rookies Onyx /25 (1) by Timothy Wong, on Flickr

Jersey Numbered 20/249
    Sebastian Aho 16/17 UD Ultimate Rookies Jersey 20/249 (1) by Timothy Wong, on Flickr

Jersey Numbered 20/25
    Sebastian Aho 16/17 UD Ultimate Rookies Tribute Patch Auto 20/25 (1) by Timothy Wong, on Flickr

Sebastian Aho 16/17 UD Fleer Showcase Hot Prospects White Hot Rookie Auto Patch /10 (1) by Timothy Wong, on Flickr

If you made it this far, I applaud you! This is my NUMBER ONE pick up of the entire year! This is most likely the best Aho card I will ever own! I missed the opportunity to get the non auto 1/1 TWICE lol!!! But thats how it goes.

Sebastian Aho 16/17 UD OPC Platinum Golden Treasures Rookie Auto 1/1 (1) by Timothy Wong, on Flickr
    Sebastian Aho 16/17
    UD OPC Platinum Golden Treasures Rookie Auto 1/1 (2)
    by Timothy Wong, on Flickr

And there you have it, I said I wouldn't talk much and look at what happened. My nature prevailed through lol. I hope you all enjoyed, and may everyone have a 2019 of prosperity and progress in the hobby and in LIFE =)
    WANT: ROOKIE YEAR & JERSEY NUMBERED cards of Aho + Zetterberg + Kovalchuk + Datsyuk + Kopitar + Nash + Spezza + Zibanejad + F. Forsberg + Teravainen + Barkov + Huberdeau + Mantha + MORE

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    CnC (21)
    Country
    Toronto Maple Leafs Calgary Flames NULL
    Twitter: @@creasecollector Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack My traders on Flickr

Great job on your collection this year. That 1/1 at the end is superb!
    Jhonas Enroth Card Collector & Host of the Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    View my Hidden Content | My Hidden Content | Complete Hidden Content | Card Blog Hidden Content

Transferred Feedback
    HI (75)
    Country
    Calgary Flames

Wow, what a great selection of cards! You've certainly put a lot of effort into your Aho collection, it was a real treat to view.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See redwingsfan11's Items on eBay

@creasecollector : Thank you very much bud!
    @Uhtred.the.viking : Thank you too! I'm really glad you enjoyed the show! It definitely took a lot of digging earlier on to find alot of the jersey numbered pieces, but it really did pay off =)