Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    Cleveland Indians Buffalo Sabres Buffalo Bulls
    See scottkoz20's Items on eBay Packrip.com Traders COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack
    Send PayPal to scottkoz20 Member is PayPal Verified

Crazy Trade Idea - Buffalo / Edmonton / Toronto

This is something that I have mentioned to @ravens_creed but Im going to modify it a bit (as I initially wanted Draistial for the Sabres but that was not going to work) - want to get some thoughts

I picked these 3 teams because they all have a need of some type

To Buffalo (needs a 2C): RNH, Adam Larsson

To Edmonton (needs to fix most everything): Rasmus Ristolainen, Alex AND Willie Nylander (from TOR)

To Toronto (needs cap space for Marner): BUF's 2nd 1st Round Pick in 2019 (#30 or #31)

This does not resolve Milan Lucic in Edmonton, but I can't do everything

Thoughts

SCF Rewards
    Country

Feel Toronto would think theyre not getting enough. Nylander played pretty well for Sweden, and if a big cap hit like Marleau comes off the books, maybe they wont feel as tight?

I think the winner in this deal is Edmonton, and you being a Buffalo guy, im surprised you'd want to move someone like Risto. For a big D-man, hes pretty smooth on his skates and with his hands. If Dahlin is like the McAvoy in Boston, Ristolainen is the Chara. I think the Chara like Dmen are much harder to come by
    *** Main PC - Roberto Luongo ***
    *** MOST WANTED - 12/13 PRIME COLORS "PATCH" ROBERTO LUONGO x/8 ***

Flickr ( not updated ) - Hidden Content
    Trade List - Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    See scottkoz20's Items on eBay Packrip.com Traders COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

I think the winner in this deal is Edmonton, and you being a Buffalo guy, im surprised you'd want to move someone like Risto. For a big D-man, hes pretty smooth on his skates and with his hands. If Dahlin is like the McAvoy in Boston, Ristolainen is the Chara. I think the Chara like Dmen are much harder to come by

and that is the quandry that most Sabre fans have. I would not call him Chara, but I get the comparison.

Here is the problem with Risto at this point. He has been in Buffalo for 6 seasons; arguably the worst 6 seasons in franchise history. He probably was not ready to be a in the NHL at 18-19, but he was. He also has been used as a #1 and he's a #2-3 d-man. So yes, he's been miscast. Dahlin is already the #1 for next season, so Risto's TOI will drop from 24:38 this season to around 21-22 minutes and that might be better for his overall game.

But I think this is a guy that might need a change of scenery to get to that next level. Look at Chara, he was garbage with the Islanders and they goes to Ottawa and figures it out.

https://www.nhl.com/player/zdeno-chara-8465009

As a Sabre fan - I'm torn as a fan because there is something to like about his game, but in reality, he is probably the best trade chip the Sabres truly have and if they can get decent D-man to be a 3-4, a center in return, you have to consider it.

To the Toronto part of this, I do think there might need to be another piece going to Toronto (but it would be a minor piece - maybe a 2nd in 2020) but even once they move Zaitsev and if they move Marleau, they have to do more work. As @30ranfordfan aptly noted in this thread -- https://www.sportscardforum.com/show...this-offseason - the Leafs still have Horton on their cap and they can only be 10% over during the offseason. Thats 5.3 Million of dead cap that is going to impact them just on Horton. Also, don't forget that they hold 1.2 of Kessel's contract yet. So that is 6.5 million in dead cap space (that is your 10% overage practically for the offseason). I would think the leafs would like to leave some space for a deal to make during the season.

Yes - Edmonton might be "winning" this deal but they have the most risk with the Nylanders and Risto - if Risto is a -40 again and Willie is the 18-19 version and not the 17-18 version, Oiler fans might look to jump into the North Saskatchewan river

SCF Rewards
    Country
    St Louis Blues St Louis Cardinals Illinois Fighting Illini
    See markw2856's Items on eBay My traders on Flickr

Only way Buffalo should trade that second 1st round pick is if they can trade it for a 1st next year. Buffalo has too many holes and if you trade Risto away that D becomes even more weak and hurts the below average goalies more. You have Eichel and Skinner locked in. Keep those picks unless can move that second 1st round pick for a higher pick next year. Otherwise they have some cap space to play with. Add some smaller pieces through FA.

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Edmonton Oilers Toronto Blue Jays Hamilton Tiger Cats
    See 30Ranfordfan's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

My opinion..... Toronto is getting hosed, Buffalo does well, Edmonton COULD clean up, or it could be a bust.

Don't get me wrong, I like the players you're suggesting the Oilers land, but moving Nuge is a big risk.

Oilers need 4 things this offseason: improve the d, secondary scoring, a goalie good for a 50/50 split, and they have to clear cap space - hard to do more than one of those first three things without more cap.

I'd be worried that the offence is a lateral move at best (WN not any better than RNH, AN does nothing) and while Larsson doesnt rack up point, RR doesn't put it together in Edmonton either.... and they lose one of the few good RHD / shut down guys they have.

I'll be back with my own idea tomorrow :)

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Country

^^^^^^

Since you want to hear from me......

We're talking about fantasy trades. I've tried to think about a way to make a big three-way swap work between the group of them. It's tough, so I'll break down the biggest needs, and go from there:

Toronto: Cap Space! Leafs have about 74 million tied up in salaries for next year. Need to resign Marner (10.5), Kapanen (3), Johansson (2.5), and add two dmen (either via trade or FA, let's say 6 total). My guesses for salaries, anyway.

Any players that get moved out, to clear cap space, need to be replaced too.

So the Leafs are looking at about 22 million to resign their guys, and bring in two new D. That puts them at 96m, need to clear (about) 13m.

Marleau & a pick goes back to California (any of the three teams) for a lower pick. That saves 6.25, about half of what they're going to need to dump.

All the talk of Nylander being moved - I think the can avoid it, and will (if they can). If they were willing to deal him for a pick, he'd already be gone.

Instead of Nylander, they move out Brown, Kadri, and Zaitev. They'll promote another Marlie to replace one of the forwards, and bring in some kind of vet to replace the other (4th liner type). Zaitev gets swapped for someone cheaper.

Edmonton: Secondary scoring, particularly on the wings. They have to do it cheap, if they don't clear out a bad contract or two. They're tight on the Cap, but not in dire straights like the Leafs.

Buffalo: Secondary scoring. Have lots of space.

So here's what you do

To Edmonton:
    Connor Brown, F (2.1)
    Rasmus Ristolainen, D(5.4)
    Buffalo #1 Pick (30th)
    Buffalo #3 Pick (67th)

To Buffalo:
    Toronto #2 Pick (53rd)
    Edmonton #2 Pick (38th)
    Edmonton #3 Pick (80th)
    Nikita Zaitiv, D (4.5)
    Nazim Kadri, C (4.5)
    Brandon Manning, D (2.25)

To Toronto:
    Edmonton #1 Pick (8th)
    Kris Russell, D (4)
    Brandon Montour, D (3.4)

The Results?

Leafs Subtract 11.1 million in Salaries, and take back 7.4. A net savings of 3.7. Their blueline is almost set for the new year, and if they can move out Marleau without taking back salary, they've trimmed (about) 10 million off the books. Probably still need to save another three. The lose some centre depth (Kardi) and wing depth (Brown), but that's okay. They get a pair of RHD that both make less that Zaitev. They also get a really high pick at #8

Sabres take on 11.25 million in contracts, while pitching 8.8. A net increase of just under 2.5 million. They get a 2nd line centre, a long term (mediocre, not too expensive) piece in Zaitiv, and eat the Manning contract. They give up two picks (30, 67), but they get back 3 (53, 38, 80)

Oilers add scoring depth with Brown, and make a big move on the blueline by swapping Russell for Ristolainen. They take on 7.5 million in salries, while moving out 6.25. A small increase, but they can handle that. It costs them big at the draft.... moving out picks 8, 38, 80, for 30 and 67.

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Country

^^^^^^

Since you want to hear from me......

We're talking about fantasy trades. I've tried to think about a way to make a big three-way swap work between the group of them. It's tough, so I'll break down the biggest needs, and go from there:

Toronto: Cap Space! Leafs have about 74 million tied up in salaries for next year. Need to resign Marner (10.5), Kapanen (3), Johansson (2.5), and add two dmen (either via trade or FA, let's say 6 total). My guesses for salaries, anyway.

Any players that get moved out, to clear cap space, need to be replaced too.

So the Leafs are looking at about 22 million to resign their guys, and bring in two new D. That puts them at 96m, need to clear (about) 13m.

Marleau & a pick goes back to California (any of the three teams) for a lower pick. That saves 6.25, about half of what they're going to need to dump.

All the talk of Nylander being moved - I think the can avoid it, and will (if they can). If they were willing to deal him for a pick, he'd already be gone.

Instead of Nylander, they move out Brown, Kadri, and Zaitev. They'll promote another Marlie to replace one of the forwards, and bring in some kind of vet to replace the other (4th liner type). Zaitev gets swapped for someone cheaper.

Edmonton: Secondary scoring, particularly on the wings. They have to do it cheap, if they don't clear out a bad contract or two. They're tight on the Cap, but not in dire straights like the Leafs.

Buffalo: Secondary scoring. Have lots of space.

So here's what you do

To Edmonton:
    Connor Brown, F (2.1)
    Rasmus Ristolainen, D(5.4)
    Buffalo #1 Pick (30th)
    Buffalo #3 Pick (67th)

To Buffalo:
    Toronto #2 Pick (53rd)
    Edmonton #2 Pick (38th)
    Edmonton #3 Pick (80th)
    Nikita Zaitiv, D (4.5)
    Nazim Kadri, C (4.5)
    Brandon Manning, D (2.25)

To Toronto:
    Edmonton #1 Pick (8th)
    Kris Russell, D (4)
    Brandon Montour, D (3.4)

The Results?

Leafs Subtract 11.1 million in Salaries, and take back 7.4. A net savings of 3.7. Their blueline is almost set for the new year, and if they can move out Marleau without taking back salary, they've trimmed (about) 10 million off the books. Probably still need to save another three. The lose some centre depth (Kardi) and wing depth (Brown), but that's okay. They get a pair of RHD that both make less that Zaitev. They also get a really high pick at #8

Sabres take on 11.25 million in contracts, while pitching 8.8. A net increase of just under 2.5 million. They get a 2nd line centre, a long term (mediocre, not too expensive) piece in Zaitiv, and eat the Manning contract. They give up two picks (30, 67), but they get back 3 (53, 38, 80)

Oilers add scoring depth with Brown, and make a big move on the blueline by swapping Russell for Ristolainen. They take on 7.5 million in salries, while moving out 6.25. A small increase, but they can handle that. It costs them big at the draft.... moving out picks 8, 38, 80, for 30 and 67.

One monster flaw here.... on top of the fact that I just came up with a 3 team trade, involving 7 players & 6 picks. If the Leafs deal Kadri (and I think they will) they probably don't do it in the division.

How to adjust?

Kadri goes to the Oilers instead of Buffalo, taking the spot of RNH on Edmonton, who goes to Buffalo.
    The Oilers no longer give up the #8 pick, but they no longer receive the #30 pick.
    The Leafs, instead of the #8 pick, get #30 & Alex Nylander.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

One monster flaw here.... on top of the fact that I just came up with a 3 team trade, involving 7 players & 6 picks. If the Leafs deal Kadri (and I think they will) they probably don't do it in the division.

How to adjust?

Kadri goes to the Oilers instead of Buffalo, taking the spot of RNH on Edmonton, who goes to Buffalo.
    The Oilers no longer give up the #8 pick, but they no longer receive the #30 pick.
    The Leafs, instead of the #8 pick, get #30 & Alex Nylander.

that and the fact that Buffalo is dealing their #2 and #3 defense men - that is a non-starter for most Sabre fans...

New Member Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See manthis02's Items on eBay

To Toronto (needs cap space for Marner): BUF's 2nd 1st Round Pick in 2019 (#30 or #31)

get rid of marleau.

even thou he's been ok..

my new flicker

Hidden Content

- ( IN ROCK WE TRUST )= (ITS ROCK or BUST)-

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast