Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Cleveland Indians Pittsburgh Penguins Boise State Broncos
    Twitter: @DFWGrapher Instagram:

SPECIFIC WANT: Detroit and Chicago card shops

Some of you may know my biggest hockey-related project is getting the entire 2002-2003 Topps Total hockey card set signed. It's 440 cards.

I'm down to needing only 12 more to finish it off; a few big names that I could pay and get at a show, but also a few who aren't, and just have gone back to Europe in their post-playing career.

Two of my needs are former Red Wings and one is a former Blackhawk-- Dmitri Bykov, Todd Bertuzzi, and Andrei Nikolishin, respectively.

I'm planning on a trip up to Chicago and Detroit just after Thanksgiving-- mostly to see two shows that feature three of my favorite bands, but I figure while I'm in the area, maybe I could find some card shops that might have these (or even the non-Wings and Hawks; you never know).

So, hockey collectors of SCF, help me out. Do you know of any card shops in these locales who might have some IP or TTM signed cards like this? And in your collective opinion, would I be better off contacting them ahead of time, or just dropping in?

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See Kearl_Rob's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale

As a former card shop owner, I can tell you that this would be tough. I don't know of any local card shops in my area (Alberta, Canada) that would deal in TTM or IP autographs... it might be better to contact player collectors or even send the cards into the players explaining your project.

SCF Rewards
    Country

As a former card shop owner, I can tell you that this would be tough. I don't know of any local card shops in my area (Alberta, Canada) that would deal in TTM or IP autographs... it might be better to contact player collectors or even send the cards into the players explaining your project.

I've tried mailing most of the players I have left and even trying several autograph-specific trading boards-- that's why I'm stuck resorting to buying them. They either didn't respond (Bertuzzi and several others that I didn't list above) or are inaccessible in Russia where the postal system is terrible (Bykov and Nikolishin). I even have eBay alerts for any signed Topps Total cards that come up.

SCF Rewards
    Country

You can try these 2(I would call first)
    AU Sports Memorabilia 847-647-8311
    World Champs Sports Cards 630-541-6796

AU has a lot of Chicago stuff as well as commons for most Baseball & Hockey Sets form the 60's to today.

Champs has a lot of newer stuff and memorabilia.
    Blackhawks wantlist,Hockey/Baseball traders @ Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country

You can try these 2(I would call first)
    AU Sports Memorabilia 847-647-8311
    World Champs Sports Cards 630-541-6796

AU has a lot of Chicago stuff as well as commons for most Baseball & Hockey Sets form the 60's to today.

Champs has a lot of newer stuff and memorabilia.

Thanks! I'll add them to the list. Just from a cursory Googling, I found two near where I'm staying in Chicago, and two Michigan ones that aren't too far off of the route I'll be driving.

SCF Rewards
    Country

I'm in the Northern Chicago suburbs, and there aren't many card shops left....

I'll tell you this much, Nikolishin is a scout with the Chicago Blackhawks, perhaps if you try contacting the organization they would give you a mailing address where you can send fan mail or get a card autographed...

A couple of months ago I sold a large lot of about 150 autographs and there were a couple of
    Nikolishin's in the lot....I mean I wouldn't call him an obscure player but there isn't much demand for his auto's..

Good luck with your quest tho.