Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Pittsburgh Steelers Philadelphia Flyers Pittsburgh Penguins
    Twitter: @theAndrewKubat See Venom-86's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

Using eBay to Locate Cards

For years, I have been searching for particular cards to complete my PCs. I have posted "looking to buy" threads on SCF and other forums trying to connect with people who have, or know where to get specific cards. Not all of my white whales are super low serial #. People may have them, but not list them for sale because they don't think they have any real value.

I'm trying to think of creative ways to reach a broader audience and I thought of eBay. eBay is full of "For Sale" listings, but no "Looking to Buy" listings. I know their rules probably prohibit a listing that does not offer (at least) something for sale. So, I'm trying to think of ways to create eBay listings that would alert people to what I am looking for.

For instance: a listing titled " $$$ Bill US Currency - Looking for Zubrus 00-01 Pacific Gold - Canadians Devils Flyers Sharks " (I would have to work the card into the title to get it to show up in searches)
    The item I am selling would be the $$$ bill.
    The description would explain that I am looking to buy the card in the title and would "sell" a US $$$ bill (really a finder's fee) to anyone who can put me in touch with that card. After the lead is verified, the "sale" would be completed and the item "$$$ bill" would be sent to the winning bidder.

I know that idea needs a lot of polishing. Anyone have suggestions? or thoughts?
    Last edited by Drewk86a; 09-06-2019 at 01:56 PM.
    Hidden Content
    Collecting: Hidden Content (95% complete) / Hidden Content (88.4% complete) / Eric Lindros (35% complete) / Ilya Kovalchuk (45% complete)...and to a lesser extent...Hidden Content (65% complete) / Hidden Content (48% complete) / Brian Propp (70% complete)

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens
    Twitter: @MTLSimon11

I wouldn't do it. It's completely against eBay's rules and could put your selling account in jeopardy.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Have you done google searches? Looked on COMC.com? They have quite a bit of stuff. Have you checked LCS? Or even call some LCS and see if they will sell and ship? Try Facebook groups. There are plenty of ways to find cards, especially if they are more common cards.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Winnipeg Jets Detroit Tigers Detroit Lions
    See opulent_jupiter's Items on eBay

Ebay had a wanted section years ago but they found no one was using.
    Have you searched the Inventory on here for the specific wants? I found a bunch using it.
    COMC is good to.
    Click Here for my Complete Inventory: Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens Toronto Blue Jays San Antonio Spurs
    Twitter: @pwskelly See pwskelly's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack My traders on Flickr

I have actually contacted a lot of the larger LCS in some of the major cities where the players play (i.e. Montreal for a Habs player) via e-mail stating I am looking for XX card. On a few occasions they may have one in stock and they sell and ship.

Hidden Content

Collecting Mike Liut, Andrei Markov
    and Montréal Canadiens.

Hockey Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens Toronto Blue Jays San Francisco 49ers
    Twitter: @@RealRGM81 See price31collector's Items on eBay Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

This already exists on eBay - it's called the Search function.
    Habs fan and collector! Main PC's: Carey Price, Nick Suzuki, Cole Caufield, Juraj Slafkovsky, and of course...

Hidden Content Hidden Content ! 254 Unique Cards + 23 1/1's!!!

Participate in our Hidden Content , sponsored by Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Pittsburgh Steelers Philadelphia Flyers Pittsburgh Penguins
    Twitter: @theAndrewKubat See Venom-86's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

This already exists on eBay - it's called the Search function.

Yes... I am aware of the ebay search function They show cards that are currently listed on eBay. There may be eBay-ers that have the cards I'm looking for but have not posted them because they don't think anyone would bid/buy. Sure the McDavids get posted for sale because interest is a given. But how many Kyle Brodziaks are sitting in card piles, unposted...

I've scoured google, checked COMC weekly, tried all the hockey card sites I can find. I'm trying to thinks of ways to cast the biggest net.

Assistant General Manager

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

Yes... I am aware of the ebay search function They show cards that are currently listed on eBay. There may be eBay-ers that have the cards I'm looking for but have not posted them because they don't think anyone would bid/buy. Sure the McDavids get posted for sale because interest is a given. But how many Kyle Brodziaks are sitting in card piles, unposted...

I've scoured google, checked COMC weekly, tried all the hockey card sites I can find. I'm trying to thinks of ways to cast the biggest net.

Could always be a new app. White whale hunter etc. the biggest thing is getting enough folks like you and the sellers who have the cards to come together. I am sure I have some folks white whale in my basement sitting there. If someone can solve the problem they will have a winner on there hands. Just need to solve the problem. Best of luck in finding the white whales your looking for.

Don

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    CnC (21)
    Country
    Toronto Maple Leafs Calgary Flames NULL
    Twitter: @@creasecollector Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack My traders on Flickr

Searching every avenue is fine and should be done, but depending on who/what you collect, have you tried marketing yourself? Do you use social media (Instagram/Twitter/Facebook, Reddit, Hobby Forum(s), etc)? Do you have a website and/or a big online presence? This is very key also. I've meant to write something about this topic on My Blog - I should probably start that soon as I find it's a very important aspect to any collector, in my opinion.

I can pull a lot of rarer cards from my collection that are purely due to the fact I have a website dedicated to my collection and I (try) to post on forums a lot. It's a lot easier to find what you want when you want to be found.

I've had many collectors reach out to me about Jhonas Enroth cards because they know I'm the collector to contact about it. For example, I've had people stumble upon my website from a random Google search they did and reached out to me about cards. It's awesome. Now, it doesn't happen every day, but it's a happened a few times and i'm glad I made the online efforts that I have in order to establish my collection online to try and get as many eyes on it as possible.

Make yourself a collector who's easy to find. Who know's, someone might have your white whale but have no idea that you need it. Get online and tell them. Make your card collection as social thing, so to speak.
    Last edited by creasecollector; 09-08-2019 at 01:00 AM.
    Jhonas Enroth Card Collector & Host of the Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    View my Hidden Content | My Hidden Content | Complete Hidden Content | Card Blog Hidden Content

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Edmonton Oilers Toronto Blue Jays Hamilton Tiger Cats
    See 30Ranfordfan's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

Make yourself a collector who's easy to find. Who know's, someone might have your white whale but have no idea that you need it. Get online and tell them. Make your card collection as social thing, so to speak.

^^^^^^

This is certainly true. When I actually took the time (years ago) to scan my Ranford collection, and do the whole "super collector" thing here on SCF - my motivation was exactly this. Make sure people know that I'm a guy you should contact if you've got a Bill Ranford card that's rare / unique / brand new.

For the most part, that has only been a positive. I can think of a few instances where someone has tried to, ummmm, max out their value because they're under the impression I *NEED* to have a particular card? (Hint: I don't need any of them: For the most part, if you're fair.... I don't even try to haggle all that much).

Of course I say this, my "White Whale" is a 98-99 MVP Super Script, #ed /25. There's probably someone out there that would be thrilled to exchange one for $20, but I've never seen a copy come up for sale.... and I've been looking for one for more than a decade. All the clicks, likes, etc on my cards: Hasn't helped find one of these.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast