Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Arizona Coyotes Detroit Red Wings Michigan State Spartans
    Twitter: @chisparty07 Upper Deck ePack
    Member is PayPal Verified

One leafs fan isn't happy with Marner

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    Edmonton Oilers
    Upper Deck ePack

hahaha i saw the exact same listing this morning.

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Edmonton Oilers Toronto Blue Jays Hamilton Tiger Cats
    See 30Ranfordfan's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

Living near Toronto..... this saga is basically all the sports media wants to talk about.

Now, I realize this isn't something limited to just Leaf fans...... but I still find it a little odd that when it comes to players holding out for what they thing they're worth - fans almost always side with the billionaire owners, rather than the millionaire player.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Arizona Coyotes Detroit Red Wings Michigan State Spartans
    Twitter: @chisparty07 Upper Deck ePack
    Member is PayPal Verified

The key there is the players think they are worth. I don't doubt that he's skilled and should be paid, but is he equivalent to Tavares and Matthews? Also, having 3 people making taking up 38% of the cap space will hurt the team in the long run. Look at what happened with the hawks, they paid too much for some players for too long and now they are hampered by the cap every year.

Living near Toronto..... this saga is basically all the sports media wants to talk about.

Now, I realize this isn't something limited to just Leaf fans...... but I still find it a little odd that when it comes to players holding out for what they thing they're worth - fans almost always side with the billionaire owners, rather than the millionaire player.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Toronto Maple Leafs Toronto Blue Jays

Leafs fans & fans in general know when their team is close, but not quite good enough. Fans don't want players taking up more cap space than they think they're worth because they realize there will be less cap space to bring in more players that will help the team be better. It has nothing to do with money, no fan really cares how much a player is paid, it's about the cap hit & not about siding with owners. Fans always think team first.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    St Louis Blues St Louis Cardinals Illinois Fighting Illini
    See markw2856's Items on eBay My traders on Flickr

The key there is the players think they are worth. I don't doubt that he's skilled and should be paid, but is he equivalent to Tavares and Matthews? Also, having 3 people making taking up 38% of the cap space will hurt the team in the long run. Look at what happened with the hawks, they paid too much for some players for too long and now they are hampered by the cap every year.

I was thinking the same with those guys taking up the cap space. Teams strive to win some championships before they have to pay the talent. After you pay your top few guys elite money you have to be real creative. Creative sometimes works, more times not.

It will all work out for Marner. He has reportedly been offered $11 million a year in the 7 to 8 year range by Toronto. Most likely will sign for less AAV and go for 3 years. Set himself up for bigger payday at 25.

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Edmonton Oilers Toronto Blue Jays Hamilton Tiger Cats
    See 30Ranfordfan's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

Well, that's obviously the argument.....

Marner (clearly) believes he's on par with Matthews & Tavares. They are his comparables - and more specifically, Matthews is. If Matthews doesn't need to take a "home town discount" - why should Marner? They've been in the league for three years each (Matthews & Marner). Marner has outscored him in each of the last two seasons.... leading the Leafs in scoring both times.

Hawks' problem isn't the money they're spending on Toews, Kane, and Keith.... it's the money they're spending on guys like Crawford, Seabrook, and Anisimov.

Leafs have (allegedly) offered 7 x 11 for Marner - so they figure they can make the cap work with their top three forwards making a combined 33.6, out of 81.5 million. That's a little better than 41% of the cap.... but realistically, it will only be closer to 35% by the time Matthews is playing the 5th year of his deal, and doesn't look so bad.

Still though...... player fights with ownership to get more money. Fans almost always pick the side of the owners.

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    UCB (114)
    Country

when you compare Marner stats to matthews, he is even if not a little ahead in that department and if you compared tavares first 43 years in the NHL against Marner, again Marner is ahead of him too.

As for Connor Mcdavid, well he is ahead of Marner but still at the end of the day what has he done for the team, being captain and the leader , nothing yet.

So is Marner worthy of Matthews or Tavares Money, I think so. when Matthews was out of the lineup, Marners game was stellar, he picked it up to help the team.

I think in the long run the team and MArner will work it out weather is short term deal or more of 7-8 years, just my opinion here.

Good luck to Matrner and the leafs, hope for a great season.

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    CnC (21)
    Country
    Toronto Maple Leafs Calgary Flames NULL
    Twitter: @@creasecollector Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack My traders on Flickr

I'm from Toronto, so we hear about the Marner stuff 24/7.

This is awesome. Haha!
    Jhonas Enroth Card Collector & Host of the Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    View my Hidden Content | My Hidden Content | Complete Hidden Content | Card Blog Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    See football-4ever's Items on eBay

Wish the Senators would make an offer sheet for Marner ...... But then again , Melnyk would likely trade him away for another bag of pucks come the following year.
    WE COLLECT : CONNOR MCDAVID --- NATHAN MACKINNON -- ERIK KARLSSON -- CAREY PRICE --- BRADY TKACHUK -- AUSTIN MATTHEWS -- THOMAS CHABOT --JACK EICHEL

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast