Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Assistant General Manager

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

Disgusting hockey knockout shows why fighting must go ASAP

What kind of civilized society allows this? What kind of sport sells and profits off this? We’re moving into the 2020’s. Enough already. Enough.

https://nypost.com/2019/10/26/disgus...ds-to-go-asap/

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens
    Twitter: @MTLSimon11

I grew up on "Rock'em Sock'em Hockey", so it was hard for me to finally admit it. I won't lie, I still enjoy a good fight, as long as nobody gets hurt. But honestly, I can very easily live without it. Agreed, it's time for it to go.

SCF Rewards
    Country

It still has plenty of fans and you need look no further than collectors on this site. I am always cleaned out of cards for the fighters both current and former. Also someone who works for the media these days shouldn't be criticizing how anyone else makes a living given their disgusting and unprofessional political biases. Enough already Enough.
    The want list at this link features what I need of Gretzky, Roy, Ottawa Senators, and Miscellaneous sets. I also have a CFL want list on my page and if you have nothing from it I will consider other traders of current Ottawa Senators,Guy Lafleur, + trade bait.

Wants - Hidden Content

Traders - Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

It still has plenty of fans and you need look no further than collectors on this site. I am always cleaned out of cards for the fighters both current and former. Also someone who works for the media these days shouldn't be criticizing how anyone else makes a living given their disgusting and unprofessional political biases. Enough already Enough.

Peter,
    The problem is it just not in the media in my opinion. Almost everyone has a agenda be it a boss trying to do what best for the company versus the workers. a trader in the hobby trying to make a deal in their favor, etc. I think ethics in a lot of ways has gone by the wayside sad to say. In the end everyone is entitled to their beliefs and we should respect them. Of course there arguments to be made on both sides of the fighting side. I do think the media is imbalanced but that comes from the top of who owns the organization and their viewpoint. It not like you can be a reporter and just report the facts as every organization has their own agenda which they wish to push.

DON

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    (108) Hobby Insider
    Country

Fighting was a big part of the game during the 1970s to the 1990s. As a kid, when I was watching hockey, fights were considered normal, and most teams had at least one tough guy on their line-up. I have great memories from that era, and the collecting bug has a bit to do with memories.

Players are now bigger and stronger, but still with the same brain, so hits have more consequences. In boxing, quite a few boxers ended at the hospital after a fight lately.
    Wantlist: Hidden Content
    Tradelist: Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country
    St Louis Blues
    COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

Fighting is the least likely part of the game you'd get a brain injury. Is this writer going to be lobbying to take away the ice next time he sees a "shocking" video of a player falling?

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Winnipeg Jets Boston Bruins
    See timothystar's Items on eBay My traders on Flickr

If you ask a lot of the old school enforcers, fighting is The cause of brain injury and the substance abuse, (often prescribed) depression, anxiety and all round bad quality of life that goes with it. Sadly you can't ask a lot of them about it, as guys like Probert, Rypien, Boogaard, Belak and so on are no longer alive. The list of fringe no names that are dead or suffering would be much longer.
    In the past people could say they didn't know any better but that is certainly not the case today.
    Sanctioned bare fist fighting is not a bright idea at the best of times. Do it while wearing skates on a slippery hard surface in front of fans many of which are children? Possibly not the best idea.
    Bucket: Hidden Content

Sets: 20 12/13 Artifacts
    Players: Ovechkin, star YG's.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

If you ask a lot of the old school enforcers, fighting is The cause of brain injury and the substance abuse, (often prescribed) depression, anxiety and all round bad quality of life that goes with it. Sadly you can't ask a lot of them about it, as guys like Probert, Rypien, Boogaard, Belak and so on are no longer alive. The list of fringe no names that are dead or suffering would be much longer.
    In the past people could say they didn't know any better but that is certainly not the case today.
    Sanctioned bare fist fighting is not a bright idea at the best of times. Do it while wearing skates on a slippery hard surface in front of fans many of which are children? Possibly not the best idea.

I wonder if they did away with fighting 100 percent what would the attendance and viewership be like for a few years after implementation. I concur fighting is not good for anyone who does it for long as it will catch up to them.

DON

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens
    Twitter: @MTLSimon11

I doubt it would have any affect on attendance at all.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

I doubt it would have any affect on attendance at all.

It might not but would be a interesting case study. If I was agains fighting and I truly believed it would not alter the attendance figures why not use that as a selling point to get rid of it with the powers who want to keep it in the game. Not sure who that exactly is old time NHLPA, Commish, GM's, owners, etc.

DON

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast