Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (48)
    Country
    Twitter: @HeroesofCrease See FanaticofTKD's Items on eBay Instagram:

Like the Results of a Bad Toaster, It's a "Blackburn" That Cost a Lot of Bread!

For me, few pieces have ever been as exciting to wait for as this one has been! I am a person whose goal it is to acquire one game used piece of every goalie to have ever played in the NHL. A mad, impossible undertaking that has put me over 21% of the way there, I focus the majority of my attention on goalies with less games, amazing stories, or who were beset by unfortunate circumstances that ended an otherwise promising career. This piece hit all of the checkboxes for me. Also, the bottom link is for the Youtube video of the jersey, highlighting some of the interesting wear on it! Before I continue, don't forget to "LIKE" us on Facebook and "FOLLOW" us on both Twitter and Youtube if you like all things hockey and goaltending!

Born on May 20, 1983 in Montreal, Quebec, Dan Blackburn was an extremely highly touted prospect coming out of the Kootenay Ice of the WHL. In his two years in the WHL (1999-2001), Blackburn was a two time WHL all-star, one time CHL all star, WHL rookie of the year, CHL rookie of the year, WHL goalie of the year, and CHL goalie of the year. These amazing accolades got Blackburn drafted 10th overall by the New York Rangers in 2001. He wasted no time after his draft as well. He made the NHL right out of his first training camp, making his NHL debut at 18 years of age on October 10, 2001. He faced the Washington Capitals and stopped 37 of 42 shots in the team's 5-2 loss. He recorded his first win five days later. In his first season, he ultimately appeared in 31 NHL games, recording a 12-16-0 record, to go along with a handful of AHL games. The following season, Blackburn continued his NHL development, splitting time with Mike Dunham as Mike Richter's career was drawing to an end. Not wanting to throw the young goalie into the reactor, the Rangers' coach gave Blackburn 32 games in his sophomore season. He recorded a weaker 8-16-4 record, as well as his first shutout on November 7, 2002. Clearly being groomed to eventually be the full-time number one goalie in New York, the unthinkable happened. During the 2003-04 season's training camp, Dan Blackburn injured his shoulder while doing some weight training and then exacerbated his injury further during an on-ice session. Ultimately, it was determined that the damage was severe as it consisted of nerve damage in his shoulder. He missed the entire 2003-04 season and had surgery in April of 2004 to attempt to fix the issue. His dead nerves atrophied his back and he was no longer able to utilize a catching a glove with his left hand. Blackburn and the Rangers' equipment manager improvised a two-blocker system that allowed him to play, however, after 12 games with Victoria of the ECHL in 2004-05, Blackburn took the NHL's insurance settlement versus losing it by playing on, causing this potential #1A goalie to retire from play at the very young age of 22. We will never know now, but who knows, had he not been injured and properly developed, we might be saying "Henrik who?" when we talk about Rangers goalies. He has since taken part in several alumni/friendly games over the years while utilizing the dual-blocker, though he has largely remained off of the pro hockey radar. He did periodically play in men's league games as a skater, but rarely as a goalie. A very sad tale of another goalie that could have been the next big thing had circumstances been different.

In his NHL career, Dan Blackburn appeared in 63 games, recording a 20-32-4 record with one shutout, a 3.22GAA, and a 0.894% save average. He appeared in zero playoff games.

What you are looking at right now is a 2002-03 New York Rangers Away Set 2 jersey used by Blackburn in four games, and also worn in anywhere from ten to twelve games as a back-up only, this is accounting for the use of the third set 2 sweater interfering with a few of the road games in which this sweater would have been normally worn. Wear is nice and includes several pronounced puck marks throughout the jersey, an unrepaired sleeve laceration, some post paint transfer, as well as some nice salt depositing in the fight strap.

Acquired from: Branden Mittra includes Meigray LOA

Dates of Game Use:
    January 9, 2003 v Montreal (30-33, 3-2L)
    January 26, 2003 v Washington (14-18, 7-2)
    February 15, 2003 v Buffalo (21-22, 5-4L)
    February 17, 2003 v Ottawa (26-29, 3-2L)

Photomatched: Yes

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    CnC (21)
    Country
    Toronto Maple Leafs Calgary Flames NULL
    Twitter: @@creasecollector Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack My traders on Flickr

Great piece. Really loved those Rangers jersey's!
    Jhonas Enroth Card Collector & Host of the Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    View my Hidden Content | My Hidden Content | Complete Hidden Content | Card Blog Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country
    New York Rangers Toronto Blue Jays
    COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

Very cool jersey. As a Rangers fan, it was sad that he wasn't able to continue playing, but like you said, if he had of continued, would we be saying Henrik who?

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Anaheim Ducks
    See dafoefan34's Items on eBay

Saw the thread titled and sort of hoped I'd see the left hand blocker.

Cool piece for the museum and congrats!

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    CnC (21)
    Country
    Toronto Maple Leafs Calgary Flames NULL
    Twitter: @@creasecollector Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack My traders on Flickr

Saw the thread titled and sort of hoped I'd see the left hand blocker.

Cool piece for the museum and congrats!

That would have epic also.