Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Assistant General Manager

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

Here's Why Autographed Babe Ruth Baseballs Aren't So Valuable

One name synonymous with baseball history is Babe Ruth. While it’s been almost a century since he took the field, Ruth was baseball’s first legend and the sport’s most enduring player.

https://www.sportscasting.com/heres-...t-so-valuable/

Baseball Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Detroit Pistons Detroit Lions Detroit Red Wings
    See cramkd117's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

Interesting read!

SCF Rewards
    Country

I don't buy the claim. Yes, he may have signed a lot of stuff during his career/life, but the limited number of items that have survived to this day (combined with his legend and lore) is what drives the value of his memorabilia. The only person who doesn't know who Babe Ruth was is Smalls from the Sandlot.

I liken Ruth autos to the '52 Topps Mickey Mantle card; they printed tens of thousands at the time but very few of them survived the decades in good condition, if at all. Add to it the legendary status of Mantle and it keeps the value elevated.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    St Louis Blues St Louis Cardinals Illinois Fighting Illini
    See markw2856's Items on eBay My traders on Flickr

I don't buy the claim. Yes, he may have signed a lot of stuff during his career/life, but the limited number of items that have survived to this day (combined with his legend and lore) is what drives the value of his memorabilia. The only person who doesn't know who Babe Ruth was is Smalls from the Sandlot.

I liken Ruth autos to the '52 Topps Mickey Mantle card; they printed tens of thousands at the time but very few of them survived the decades in good condition, if at all. Add to it the legendary status of Mantle and it keeps the value elevated.

I 100% agree with the comments above. This article is very basic and touches on things the common fan already knows about Babe Ruth. I feel like she watched The Babe with John Goodman and wrote this piece. The cheapest Ruth balls fetch 4 figures. Majority of the cheapest balls are in bad shape, signature is worn down, etc. I have seen two Babe Ruth autographed baseballs in person and no matter the condition I was in awe of it.

Baseballs wear down over time. I have a Griffey Jr/Griffey Sr dual autographed baseball in a protector from the 90's. I had it in a storage box and the case cracked a little bit and just within a couple of years it had some wear on it. Ruth passed away in the 40's. There might have been a ton of baseballs signed back in the day but it makes you wonder how many of those signatures just wore off.

Like the ball cards that parents threw away, I find it interesting thinking about what might have happened to Ruth autographed balls. Did a number of kids just play with the ball after it was signed and it wore off? What holder was around back in the day to protect the baseball? Number of balls exposed to light? How many dogs chewed up a Ruth ball? How many hands touched an autographed ball just looking at it? Unless the ball was almost put away immediately after it was signed and preserved, that is why a majority of the Ruth balls you see are so banged up. PSA 8 autographed balls sell for $25k.

SCF Rewards
    Country

I mean...id still take one