Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Group Breaks Q&A

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See scotforti's Items on eBay

Group Breaks Q&A

I haven't done group breaks for a couple years now - I joined probably about 30-40 of them during the 14-15 and 15-16 seasons but eventually found them to be way too much money for (usually) almost no return

I'm curious to join one here and there again though - as they ARE pretty exciting, I'm curious though

1. What sites do you all like to do group breaks with? (especially if Canadian)
    2. Do you prefer team random or team select?
    3. Do you prefer the mixed ones that's a bunch of different boxes or cases of a particular product?

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Toronto Maple Leafs
    My traders on Flickr

I've done tons of breaks over the last few years and as you know, it's very hit & miss. I've probably broken even during that time but I still find it entertaining.

1. What sites do you all like to do group breaks with? (especially if Canadian)
    Outofthebox and Cloutnchara are my go-to sites. Great bunch of guys. Very honest and reputable. They also have rewards programs where you accumulate points on every break that you buy into and those points can be redeemed towards future breaks or pretty much anything in store.

2. Do you prefer team random or team select?
    Depends. I mainly collect Leafs so I usually try to buy them in a Team Select break. But Leafs can be pricey, especially if a break contains 16-17 products so I'll sometimes try my luck in a Team Random. It just sucks when you get stuck with teams like Minnesota or Ottawa. LOL

3. Do you prefer the mixed ones that's a bunch of different boxes or cases of a particular product?
    I prefer the variety that a mixed break provides. There's also the possibility of more than 1 case hit in a mixed break. But again, it depends on the product. I'm not a fan of products like Allure or SPx, so i would typically stay away from case breaks of those products. But Series 1/2 and SPA are good case breaks for set builders.
    Hidden Content
    Traders album: Hidden Content
    Full traders list: Hidden Content
    Instagram: leafer.70

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Arizona Coyotes Detroit Red Wings Michigan State Spartans
    Twitter: @chisparty07 Upper Deck ePack
    Member is PayPal Verified

1. Facebook is the place to find breaks as even Ebay doesn't have as many solid breakers as you used to get (I've seen some bad feedback on Chamax). There are a few who I have found that do a professional break CardbreakNL (shop), Cardboard Devil (shop), The Hobby: Football, Hockey.... (facebook breaker), Imperial Garden (Ebay/Website),
    1. B. But I haven't found a single breaker, US or Canadian, that has ever had issues shipping cross border for either side.
    2. I have a specific PC and generally stick with PYT, but will dabble in a random if the checklist makes sense to gamble (like stated above Minnesota/San Jose/Ottawa are harder to move for $$ or pc items). However, this also backfires because my Montreal/Toronto/Edmonton trader list is practically empty.
    3. In general I like full inners/master cases to mixers (unless older cheaper products). I was in a half inner break this weekend and all 3 synergy autos got pulled in the 5 boxes broken, which leaves the 2nd half to be less desirable.

Assistant General Manager

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

1) I do groupbreaks on here.
    2)i like to do the draft style as everyone gets some thing. As you stated in your post teams can leave you shut out with nothing for your dollars.
    3) I like the whole case so you can be guaranteed the case hit. With mix boxes you can get very lucky or it can be a disaster.

In the end all the sites out there offer breaks for everyone inclination. Best of luck finding one you truly enjoy.

Don

SCF Rewards
    Country

The biggest key is to watch a few breaks and decide if you like their style. The breakers i tend to like participating or just watching follow 3 general guidelines. Entertaining: they communicate and talk to the people watching it and have some personality.
    Feeling secure: i prefer breakers who have the camera always facing the cards. I recently watched one that the camera was off to the side he looked at the card, sid what it was and then finally turned it toward the camera. Ive seen too many scammer videos that i don't trust this style.
    How do they treat the cards? My favorite breakers sleeve and top load every real hit live as soon as the card is shown.

SCF Rewards
    Country

1) I do groupbreaks on here.
    2)i like to do the draft style as everyone gets some thing. As you stated in your post teams can leave you shut out with nothing for your dollars.
    3) I like the whole case so you can be guaranteed the case hit. With mix boxes you can get very lucky or it can be a disaster.

In the end all the sites out there offer breaks for everyone inclination. Best of luck finding one you truly enjoy.

Don

what do you mean "on here"

SCF does group breaks?

SCF Rewards
    Country

1. Facebook is the place to find breaks as even Ebay doesn't have as many solid breakers as you used to get (I've seen some bad feedback on Chamax). There are a few who I have found that do a professional break CardbreakNL (shop), Cardboard Devil (shop), The Hobby: Football, Hockey.... (facebook breaker), Imperial Garden (Ebay/Website),
    1. B. But I haven't found a single breaker, US or Canadian, that has ever had issues shipping cross border for either side.
    2. I have a specific PC and generally stick with PYT, but will dabble in a random if the checklist makes sense to gamble (like stated above Minnesota/San Jose/Ottawa are harder to move for $$ or pc items). However, this also backfires because my Montreal/Toronto/Edmonton trader list is practically empty.
    3. In general I like full inners/master cases to mixers (unless older cheaper products). I was in a half inner break this weekend and all 3 synergy autos got pulled in the 5 boxes broken, which leaves the 2nd half to be less desirable.

I realize this is going to sound like a stupid question but...can you join facebook-based group breaks if you're not on facebook? I don't have an account and, as a matter of principle, absolutely refuse to create an account

I'd like to check some out though if there's cool places - can you recommend a particular group on there that I can go check out?

SCF Rewards
    Country

The hardest part is that many scammers create new accounts with no true friends, so getting into fb groups would be hard with that type of brand new profile.

I realize this is going to sound like a stupid question but...can you join facebook-based group breaks if you're not on facebook? I don't have an account and, as a matter of principle, absolutely refuse to create an account

I'd like to check some out though if there's cool places - can you recommend a particular group on there that I can go check out?

Assistant General Manager

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

what do you mean "on here"

SCF does group breaks?

Scott,
    Here is a quick reply.
    Everyone one else does their group breaks elsewhere. My gb's are random picks and as you can see the guys and gals choose the cards from the cases we have done in the past. My threads have so many views compared to most threads on SCF as the members must check in and make their picks of the cards available.

Yes, SCF does do gb's and it even has it own forum. I assume you have never seen this before. Please, lmk if so because that might be something we need to promote more if that is the case

As for value I think you can ask any of the guys in the Draft of the ITG Final Vault they will tell you they got a good amount of return for their initial value as I am getting the cases so much cheaper than anyone else gets them for. As I do not mark up the case at all and charge exact cost besides the shipping fee my gb's are probably the cheapest on the net. I do mostly order products and that is only because I do not want to get stuck with a product I would not open myself.

p.s. If you want me to add you to the pm list I send out when I post up a gb lmk I can add you to it if your so inclined.
    @Stryfex

DON

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    CnC (21)
    Country
    Toronto Maple Leafs Calgary Flames NULL
    Twitter: @@creasecollector Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack My traders on Flickr

I assume that if you know the person or business who is hosting the break, then yeah who not. If you get his contact info and coordinate to him that you want a spot in a certain break, then that should be good.

I have never joined a GB through Facebook yet, but I've been in other group breaks online/through social media.
    Jhonas Enroth Card Collector & Host of the Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    View my Hidden Content | My Hidden Content | Complete Hidden Content | Card Blog Hidden Content

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast