Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Akron Zips Kent State Golden Flashes Tulane Green Wave
    Twitter: @. See .'s Items on eBay LinkedIn Instagram: Packrip.com Traders COMC Cards For Sale Kronozio Upper Deck ePack My traders on Flickr

Would you consider 1989-90 OPC junk wax?

In my opinion it's not.

when you look at the beckett/ebay value of the cards and compare it to the year after, I think there's a significant difference to the point where it should not be considered junk wax.

what do you guys think

SCF Rewards
    Country

I wouldn't but then again I don't consider anything junk wax unless there is total junk in it
    Selling All My Cards Here------>Hidden Content

Baseball Autograph and Game Used Only Trade Page: pwaldo.webs.com/
    //s123.photobucket.com/albums/o299/pwaldo/

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens Toronto Blue Jays San Antonio Spurs
    Twitter: @pwskelly See pwskelly's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack My traders on Flickr

I think that because of the quality control issues associated with this product, it's hard to consider it junk, especially if you are basing your valuations on condition. There are a lot of issues with miscuts, and colouring blemishes with this set, especially the 1989-90 O-Pee-Chee cards that are pretty reflective of the 1980s cards.

That's why you can still command a decent premium for graded Sakic and Leetch RCs from this set. It's not until 1990 and beyond where you see huge improvements in the quality control issues with most card sets (ProSet being the only exception). I have seem set collectors pay a little extra for well-centred cards for this set as well, especially of star players like Roy and Gretzky.

Hidden Content

Collecting Mike Liut, Andrei Markov
    and Montréal Canadiens.

SCF Rewards
    Country

With 3 good rookies & lots of card issues unless it was $10 i probably wouldnt buy it, there's no chance of hitting anything good..

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens
    Twitter: @MTLSimon11

With 3 good rookies & lots of card issues unless it was $10 i probably wouldnt buy it, there's no chance of hitting anything good..

I would agree with this. I consider it the first year of things really going down the toilet.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Twitter: @. See .'s Items on eBay LinkedIn Instagram: Packrip.com Traders COMC Cards For Sale Kronozio Upper Deck ePack My traders on Flickr

My definition of junk wax always had to do with mass production and, not quality control.

miscuts and blemishes have always been present in opc before 1989
    Last edited by cjb; 03-15-2020 at 03:36 PM.

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Edmonton Oilers Toronto Blue Jays Hamilton Tiger Cats
    See 30Ranfordfan's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

junk wax usually refers to the era of over production.... and 89-90 OPC is very over produced. That's why those RCs (Leetch, Sakic, Fleury) are worth so much less than comparable players from the year before (Shanahan, Hull, Turgeon)

SCF Rewards
    Country

but sakic, leech and fluery have more significant value than the roenick, cujo, modano, etc. RC the year after.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens
    Twitter: @MTLSimon11

but sakic, leech and fluery have more significant value than the roenick, cujo, modano, etc. RC the year after.

Right. Because it is the start of the junk wax era, not the pinnacle.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Dallas Stars Minnesota Vikings Minnesota Twins
    Twitter: @sportscardsshow See purplemommyof3's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale
    Member is PayPal Verified

its fire starter.. i throw so much of that stuff into the recycling on a yearly basis

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast