Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SCF Rewards
    Country

A documentation of Curtis Josephs masks.

As a Curtis Joseph collector I’m aware he has used many different masks during his career. Joseph is especially known for his many masks with the mad dog ”Cujo” from Stephen Kings novel. This is my attempt to show and tell about Josephs different masks. Feel free to correct me or add something or maybe just share any comments about his masks.

Curtis Joseph made his debut for St Louis Blues with a couple of games during the 1989-90 season. He entered NHL with a blue ”helmet cage” mask. This was used through 89-90 season and during part of the 90-91 season.

During his second season, 90-91, Joseph introduced his first modern mask, with a music motive pictured by trumpets and notes. It’s a very easy design, but I really like it and it fits well for St Louis Blues. Joseph used this mask for several seasons, from 90-91 through 91-92, 92-93 and partly through the 93-94 season. It made it into Pinnacles first mask set in 92-93 and later in the 01-02 Between The Pipes The Mask set.

Sometimes during the 93-94 season Joseph took firm on his nickname CuJo and ordered his first ”mad dog mask”. This mask caught my attention in the mid 90s and made me to a CuJo collector, so this is still my personal favorite. It differs from the later mad dog masks because the dog is just pictured above the cage and not with the wide gap. This mask is part of Pinnacles 94-95 mask set and is simply an amazing card. One of my collections gems even if it dosen't hold much value. Also pictured in 2017 Leaf Masked Men.

Unfortunately it wasn’t used for a long time. During the following season 94-95 he took a step toward his classic design with a new mask and the first to picture the mad dog with the wide open mouth, resembling Andy Moogs Bruins mask a couple of years before. This is good as a first draft but I think the mask evolves to the better with later versions. This mask was represented in the 12-13 Masked Men 5 set.

Before the 95-96 season Joseph was traded to Edmonton Oilers. Due to contract issues he played for the IHL team Las Vegas Thunder where he used his last Blues mask. It wasn’t until januari he made his debut for the Oilers, dressed in the same mask with some colour changes. Less yellow and more blue to go with the Oilers uniform, which made it look slightly better in my opinion.

Later in the season Joseph changes mask and leaves the mad dog theme. He present his ”Oil splash mask”. A easy but also very cool design and it looks fantastic with the Oilers uniform. This mask was used just a short time and I’m happy it got some later attention with the 13-14 Masked Men 6 card.

After this season Joseph made his most known appearances for Canada National Team. First in World Championship during the spring where he used his Oil splash mask and in the autumn in World Cup where he had a uniqe Canada mask. Nothing spectacular, but at least it fits well with Canadas uniform.

In the 96-97 season Edmonton Oilers changes their uniform. They go from blue to a much more darker blue and also much less orange. That’s probably the reason his Oil splash mask doesn’t get renewed confidence. He goes back to the mad dog theme with a darker mask than before and the dog is also modified. A clear upgrade. This mask is pretty much the design he continues with for the rest of his career. This mask is part of the last Pinnacle Mask set from 97-98.

After 2 and a half year with the Oilers Joseph sign with Toronto Maple Leafs prior to the 98-99 season. He adds maple leafs details on the sides and gives it a brighter colour. I think this is a step back compared to the great looking Oilers mask. This one is pictured in several mask sets.

He stays with this mask for the two first seasons, except when he used an anniversary mask in Torontos last game in Maple Leaf Gardens on February 13 1999. It’s pictured in some cards but this photo is a much better close up on the mask.

After two seasons with Toronto it’s once again time for a mask update. This time it gets more blue, darker and unitary colours and the maple leafs on the sides is bigger but also more discret. The previous mask was a little too bright (much white and light blue colours) to go with Torontos blue uniform. This darker looking mask fits better and is pictured in 11-12 Masked Men 4.

This mask was also used by Joseph in his one and only game in the 2002 Olympic. Not a great fit with the Canada uniform.

After four years with Toronto Joseph signs with Detroit in an attempt to increase his Cup chances. This signing also marks the end of the ”blue era” for Joseph (3 team with blue colours) and he now enters the ”red era” (3 teams with red colours). First out is Detroit Red Wings where he stayed for two seasons. He used one mask during this time and it’s pretty much the old mask just painted in red and with winged wheels on the sides. Initially this red mask was really unusual to see, but once you got used to it this is a pretty sweet mask. It got some really nice close up portrait in 02-03 Between The Pipes The Mask II.

After two seasons in Detroit and the following 04-05 lockout season where Joseph did not play at all, he moved on to Phoenix Coyotes. His mask got some minor changes again with a slightly modified dog and the colours developed from Detroits red to Coyotes brick red. This is an upgrade compared to the Detroit mask and looks really good with the Coyotes dress. It appears in the 06-07 Mask IV set.

We’re at the end of Josephs career and he has problems getting contracts. No team signed him at the start of the 07-08 season so Joseph plays the Spengler Cup with Canada in december where he used his Phoenix mask. In januari Calgary Flames sign him as back up. He only plays 9 regular and 2 playoff games and he used his Phoenix mask again. But wait…isn’t that some new flames added on the sides?

I totally understand Joseph didn’t invest more in a Calgary mask. But it could have been a really cool combination with the mad dog and the Flames theme. I see in front of me a mad hell dog or something.

The stay in Calgary was brief and the following year Joseph plays his final season in a comeback for Toronto. He brings the Phoenix design with him but of course the mask is now blue again and contain the maple leafs on the sides. It’s without doubt his best Toronto version and a really great mask to exit the NHL. It’s pictured in the 13-14 Masked Men 6 set. However the original photo does it even more justice.

Thanks for reading and if there’s other goalie collectors who wants to do a similar mask documentation of their guys I would love to read it.

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    CnC (21)
    Country
    Toronto Maple Leafs Calgary Flames NULL
    Twitter: @@creasecollector Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack My traders on Flickr

I LOVE this post! :) Thank you so much, Hans!
    Jhonas Enroth Card Collector & Host of the Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    View my Hidden Content | My Hidden Content | Complete Hidden Content | Card Blog Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Pittsburgh Steelers Baltimore Orioles Philadelphia Phillies

Great post

SCF Rewards
    Country
    St Louis Blues
    COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

Agreed, very enjoyable read. Thanks for putting it together!

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    Penn State Nittany Lions New York Yankees Washington Capitals
    Twitter: @@VamosCards See jmc_70's Items on eBay Instagram: Upper Deck ePack

This is phenomenal.

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Edmonton Oilers Toronto Blue Jays Hamilton Tiger Cats
    See 30Ranfordfan's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

Enjoyed that post.

When the Oilers traded for Cujo, I remember being weirded out by it. Why would a weak team want (by far) the best goaltending duo in the league (who's the backup? Cujo or Ranford? Split time?) Obviously it meant one wasn't going to stick around..... Was Cujo just an asset to parlay into something else they wanted? Or was Ranford on his way out?

Of course Ranford wound up being traded to the Bruins, after the Oilers signed Cujo. I was dissapointed.

Cujo did NOT disappoint with the Oilers though. He was spectacular while he was there, and I still consider his save on Joe Niewendyke in Game 7 (OT) to be the best save I ever saw in my life.

For the Masks: His 3rd Oilers one was my favorite.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Thanks all for the appreciated words!

30ranfordfan
    Good choice for best CuJo mask!
    Would be nice to see some Ranford masks documentation even if he isn't known for his masks (left out in all 90s mask sets). I have always had a good eye to Bill Ranford. He has one of the coolest names in the league! As you say a bit sad CuJos arrival ended his successful Oilers career.
    Last edited by HansViktor; 08-05-2020 at 05:23 PM.

Assistant General Manager

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

Thanks for the awesome post.

DON

Assistant General Manager

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

Thanks for the awesome post.

DON