Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Country

I would tend to disagree with that. Well not until the "pressure". Prior to that it wasnt.

But is the "pressure" coming from the employers (ie teams) because if they don't do it, people will be like " Doesn't anyone care what is happening in the world? Be more than a ball player!" Which again, is part of the problem in the country right now because we are soooo divided on EVERYTHING.

It's ironic/sad that just about every famous quote from a president from 160 years ago is still applicable and relevant in today's world.

"A house divided cannot stand" -Both sides of the aisle divide us and the ones who say it is just the Dems or just the Republicans are the biggest part of the problem.

"Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open ones mouth and remove all doubt" Any politician above a Congressman or Representative, while a TV camera is on them.

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we loose our freedoms it will be because we took them away" The mostly peaceful protests about police brutality across the country, while some fools take it upon themselves to riot and loot and destroy, causing the President to bring in the National Guard to cities like Portland and threaten others.

I am not a big believer in "Messages" or "Mottos" but I can think of two very powerful message songs that really have always spoken to me. The first is Elvis Presley's "If I Can Dream" and the other one is "We Shall Be Free" By Garth Brooks. It's not that difficult to think before you speak, it's not that difficult to not act appropriately, its not that difficult to work together to solve the problems of the world, but to do that we have to work together. I believe that anyone can rise above their slot in life, but it takes hard work and dedication. Its not going to be quick, and it surely wont be easy. There is no such thing as a free lunch,

I said my piece, I will be quiet now.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    See jimmy-v-cardboard's Items on eBay

But is the "pressure" coming from the employers (ie teams) because if they don't do it, people will be like " Doesn't anyone care what is happening in the world? Be more than a ball player!" Which again, is part of the problem in the country right now because we are soooo divided on EVERYTHING.

No actually I believe the pressure was more in the bank accounts of all that are involved at the team levels. It had nothing to do with the cause (and that's a shame but again IMO it shouldn't be so tightly knit into the game) but the effect it was having on the pocketbooks.

Again I believe in the message you and the players are putting across. As a veteran and former law enforcement (I liked it but dying for my country and dying because of some crack head was not for me) it needs to be there. However.... there is a time and place for everything.

There is a way to do something and a way not to do it. Im not a firm believer of asking for forgiveness instead of permission. This all started (The NFL Issue not the overall issue) because someone took it upon themselves to do something against the "status quo" instead of bringing it up, talking about and trying to enact change.

Why not buy commercial time? Why not start a movement using gatherings and weekly meetings? Why not go to the NFLPA, why not get other players behind you first... The man had the money time and support. No it was an action to elicit a response when there were other ways that could have been taken in steps and if he HAD to get to the final point he could have then said the NFL is not listening I must bring this to a wider audience.

Again use the proper venues you have to get what you want. Dont pull the pin toss the grenade and hope for the best. It just creates a larger wedge. Which is sadly what it did and really didnt accomplish anything.

Whats the answer? I dont know... but like the Coronavirus and people being stupid not wearing masks in public whooping it up in bars/beaches and as you mentioned the fools in Portland you can't have change if every time there is a step forward there are 2 steps back.

All good my friend.
    Last edited by Aknot; 07-31-2020 at 04:48 PM.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See bbra9027's Items on eBay

I will continue to watch NFL.... I wont continue to "like" certain players when they put their beliefs, religions, politics, whatever on display when they are "working". What they do in their spare time is good on them and I would NEVER judge them for that. (well depending what it is of course) If they use what they have gained on the field to make their voices heard OFF THE FIELD... even better.

However I cannot go to my office and during the time I am being paid, take a knee. Nor can I display or "push" my political/religous/sexual <insert anything else) agenda.. while im "on the clock". Why is an actor, musician, athlete permitted to?

There is a time and a place for everything. While you are at work and being paid is not the time. Do your job, then after you "clock out" be a protestor (legally) or whatever.

That is the issue I have.

Also freedom of speech does not allow you to say anything anywhere especially when you have an audience (TV viewers, stadium goers) that cant "opt out".

Most employers do not require or ask their employees to salute a piece of cloth prior to working.
    Drug and smoke free trading.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content cardscomicsmoviesandgames
    Hidden Content darkdemon202404

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Army

Most employers do not require or ask their employees to salute a piece of cloth prior to working.

show me wher any sports teams demand their playewr to salute the flag. Also if I am not mistaken the Miltary pays these leagues to play the anthem and show the flag so players should not protest it. Snowflakes need to grow a pair. Also lets not forget the first known slave owner in the USA was a Blackman but you dont here about that do you.
    Last edited by sportsnutz1915; 08-03-2020 at 02:22 PM. Reason: add more words

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

Here let me show you the error...... Ive bolded it for you. So that means some do. Im sure there are employees/employers etc and so forth that, within reason, have rules that you and others dont like for various reasons, some written some unwritten.

The wonderful thing about that is EVERYONE has a choice to make a decision to take that job or not. TADA!

This is some of the things that are wrong today. You dont like Ice Cream dont eat it. Dont eat it, complain about and want to change it. Dont look at someone else eating the ice cream and complain about it cause you are lactose intolerant. The ice cream has nothing to do with what is going on.. just like the flag/ceremony etc prior to kick off has NOTHING to do with the travesties that are going on.

Football Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Member is PayPal Verified

Walker also endorses a mandatory 8 PM curfew unless there is a very good excuse. Discuss!

https://patch.com/georgia/eastcobb/h...rs-keep-it-9-5

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

Walker also endorses a mandatory 8 PM curfew unless there is a very good excuse. Discuss!

https://patch.com/georgia/eastcobb/h...rs-keep-it-9-5

I like it and I dont like it. If I want Ice Cream @0100 in the morning (and a store is opened selling that ice cream) there should be no one in this country to tell me otherwise. HOWEVER there could be some places that the requirement to be off the streets (without a valid reason) by a certain hour could/would increase my lifespan.

However again you are infringing on rights... but then you are damned if you do then damned if you dont. Dont "protect" the public (in various ways) and you get chastised. Protect them too much then you get chastised, etc and so forth. Then you get the people that will go out anyway and "challenge" that authority.... not because they NEED to be out there they just want to be.... cause.

I know there is no reason I need to be out at 0100 in the morning. I have enough foresight to get extra ice cream and I dont NEED ice cream I can always wait til the next day. However there are people that feel they need to and have to... for whatever reason.... meh.

Football Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Member is PayPal Verified

However again you are infringing on rights... but then you are damned if you do then damned if you dont. Dont "protect" the public (in various ways) and you get chastised. Protect them too much then you get chastised, etc and so forth. Then you get the people that will go out anyway and "challenge" that authority.... not because they NEED to be out there they just want to be.... cause.

Rights change over time based on laws. People used to have the right to smoke indoors, now not so much. Remember the time when seat belts infringed on people's personal liberty and constitutional rights?

https://www.businessinsider.com/when...t-belts-2020-5

A Gallup poll from July 1984 showed that 65% of Americans opposed mandatory belt laws, according to the Los Angeles Times. In a survey one year later, drivers said they thought the restraints were "ineffective, inconvenient, and uncomfortable." Some argued — incorrectly — that it was safer to be thrown clear from a wreck than trapped inside one.

To me it seems almost like liberty is a synonym for anarchy for some people. Which for those keeping score out there, the dictionary meaning of anarchy is "the state of a society being freely constituted without authorities or a governing body."

https://www.wpr.org/surprisingly-con...ory-seat-belts

Some opponents argued the decision to use a seatbelt should be personal rather than legal. A letter to the Appleton Post Crescent in 1964 stated, "As long as the life risked is his own, I believe the individual should decide whether or not the use of safety belts is wise."

Take that quote and replace "seat/safety tbelt" with "mask" and it makes the letter in 1964 straight up prophetic in 2020.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

We may be looking at two different things as we expand on this conversation:

Me wearing a seatbelt protects me (but in the long run may effect others). Me not smoking around others protects others. So there are good reasons to have certain restrictions at certain levels as some of them protect the "people" as a whole instead of one individual. Much like wearing a mask..... it protects more than the person wearing it. Why wouldnt you want to protect your fellow man in these times?

Onto the seatbelt topic my thought process would be it saves/prevents certain types of incidents that may involve your insurance company to fork out more money which increases premiums across the board in the long run for everyone. So that saves the insurance company money (and the customer) however why dont I see any savings? (little off topic) I was quite impressed by the effort some/all insurance companies are talking allowing discounts during COVID. But anyway.

What you dont mention in the seatbelt discussion is driving is a privilege it is not a right. You have no constitutional support in driving a motor vehicle. That I know of. Hence the reason you have to be licensed to drive among other rules.

These rules and laws are there to protect the greater population. Idiots included. I mean what sane person needs to be told not to have a radio that is plugged into an electrical socket on the edge of a full tub? Dont ingest something that is topical, dont let kids play with something they can place in their mouth and swallow, dont wrap your baby in plastic wrap. Yet now we having warning labels (mandated by law) that need to be placed on every day objects. That if a person can read and understand should not need.... However they are there to protect the company because some idiot did it.

Times are different. Because we cant turn around without bumping into someone (in most places) laws/rules are created to protect the people. So yeah while I might live on 1000 acres out in the middle of nowhere and I fire my 12 gauge into the air (stupid I know just making a point) I could be arrested and or fined depending where I am. Which then takes us into the enforcement of those laws..... then Officer Billy has a choice follow the letter of the law or use judgement. And PROBABLY based on the scenario he would give me a warning and go about his day. However 1000 acres over in the town I wouldnt be so lucky.

But the law is there as it cant be so definitive to map me to a geolocation that is "x" away from the people is was created for to protect.

So yes... a curfew makes sense in some areas. (boy I took a long time to get there)

On a more somber note...... https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/04/polit...ies/index.html here is an example of idiots.... Now as a Dolphins fan a Patriots/Brady jersey two years ago would have been fine.... and no one would have batted an eye. However because of the place it was used it was assumed (probably rightly so) that this was "political" in nature. However why cant it be a 49ers fan that is pissed that he did what he did and got removed from the team? Why cant it be a Packers fan or Panthers fan for the playoff losses? Why cant it be the guys exwifes favorite jersey after a divorce? Nope it 100% has to be (and probably is) political..... Hell Ive burned Brady cards (nothing of value) and said I would wipe my hind end with a Griffin T-shirt (I live in the DC metro area and cant stand the Skins or whatever their name is now) but that is just because they are on a team I do not like. Hell had Brady or Griffin been a Dolphin well you get it.

But why cant it be racist? Well it could be..... but you need to ask would he have done the same thing had it been a "white" player? Had he done anything against any other non-white player before? Or was he just pissed that someone was being (in his mind) disrespectful to the flag and military? He went out and paid with his own money purchasing a jersey to destroy.....because of his beliefs.... How would that be any different then my right (shudder) to burn a US Flag? Or kneel?

Yet here we are.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See bbra9027's Items on eBay

show me wher any sports teams demand their playewr to salute the flag. Also if I am not mistaken the Miltary pays these leagues to play the anthem and show the flag so players should not protest it. Snowflakes need to grow a pair. Also lets not forget the first known slave owner in the USA was a Blackman but you dont here about that do you.

Jesus Christ was also black but I'm not exactly sure what that has to do with the price of tea in China.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast