Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: which would you prefer

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    See icefields02's Items on eBay

which would you prefer

i was wondering which would you prefer ..

A) to pack pull an auto of a high level player from a $200.00 box of cards (with all the extra hits/cards)

or

B) to buy the same card on ebay or here and pay $100.00 for it

is it the thrill of pulling the card yourself or just buying it.
    are all those extra base/minor hits worth the extra $$
    is the feeling different for a collector as opposed to a flipper?

and would you care if it was a crappy 2 letter unreadable sticker auto of a good player
    as opposed to a magnificent on card auto of a mid range player.

thanx

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Edmonton Oilers Toronto Blue Jays Hamilton Tiger Cats
    See 30Ranfordfan's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

It's a tough one.

The thrill of pulling the big hit, it's much more exciting in the moment than buying a card. I've only ever had a few "massive" pulls in my life, but the rush you get when that happens - can't beat it.

The collector in me though, he also knows that he has a budget. I do get really excited adding cards to my collection - and after the initial rush, I would be far more satisfied spending $100 on a card I really wanted, than pulling a better card from a $200 box.

As far as pulling a sticker auto of a superstar, vs an on-card auto of a mid range player..... give me the superstar everytime. I'm guessing there will be few that a dozen players (current or retired) that will sign cards for the 2020-21 season... whose signatures I actually want to add to my collection. I'd get far more in trade for a Crosby sticker (as an example) than I would for a Panarin on-card.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Arizona Coyotes Detroit Red Wings Michigan State Spartans
    Twitter: @chisparty07 Upper Deck ePack
    Member is PayPal Verified

The hard part of this is that you are asking me to evaluate hitting a random player in a box which is exciting, vs buying a card (which wouldn't apply as none of my pc are "superstars").

I get more excitement out of hitting a big card, but I got more long term satisfaction buying cards that fit my PC.

I agree with 30ranfordfan that a superstar is more easily movable so I can buy other PC cards.

Assistant General Manager

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

B for me everyday. It great to pull some sweet big hits but when they do not fit your collection what do you end up doing with them anyways? I know I traded some huge hits for pc items at a loss. So, I always feel better getting those nice cards for the pc on a budget vs trying to get them via boxes.

DON

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Los Angeles Kings
    See vsarmy's Items on eBay

i myself leaning more towards just buying the cards i need then getting random i blame UD making real hits less and less but cost up...When i see custom random packs i avoid at all costs

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    CnC (21)
    Country
    Toronto Maple Leafs Calgary Flames NULL
    Twitter: @@creasecollector Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack My traders on Flickr

For me, personally, I'd go with option B all day long. If it let's me save the $100, then I'm game.
    Jhonas Enroth Card Collector & Host of the Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    View my Hidden Content | My Hidden Content | Complete Hidden Content | Card Blog Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country

Option B for me. Been buying cards for almost 20 years and have purchased a fair share of wax (high end products included). Never have I got "my moneys worth" from a box of cards or a PC item. (I've stopped trying :p) But "if" I did hit , I would still rather buy the card cheaper as others have mentioned. That $100 savings can add a lot more to the PC collection.

As for the Sticker auto, I've come to terms that they are here to stay. Disliked them when they first surfaced, and obviously hard signed is preferred. So in your scenario, I'd prefer the star(good) player in general. More likely to be a PC item or used to obtain one.
    Last edited by oogabooga99; 10-29-2020 at 03:58 PM. Reason: to edit

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Toronto Maple Leafs Oakland Raiders Toronto Maple Leafs
    Instagram:

I like to enter group breaks, I like to choose some of the best rookies each year and I enter. Other than that I like to buy I couple boxes each year

SCF Rewards
    Country

For some reason it is more special to pull the card yourself. I don't know why it just is. Like it is your achievement or something by pulling it instead of somebody else. But for the price of $100 I'd rather just buy the card especially if it is from one of the many fine sellers on this site.
    Selling All My Cards Here------>Hidden Content

Baseball Autograph and Game Used Only Trade Page: pwaldo.webs.com/
    //s123.photobucket.com/albums/o299/pwaldo/

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    Twitter: @OscarsCards See oscars-cards's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

I'm straight up buying on card autograph, that will always be cheaper and more reasonable. Break some box for fun, sure why not but that's not for a PC.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast