Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Post Travis Roy the Boston University hockey player who was paralyzed in 1995 dies at 45

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...game-died.html

Travis Roy, the Boston University hockey player who was paralyzed 11 seconds into his first college shift and went on to become an advocate for spinal cord injury survivors, has died at age 45.

Roy died on Thursday at the University of Vermont Medical Center following a previous surgery, which led to complications, according to The Boston Globe.

His death was confirmed by the BU athletic department and the Travis Roy Foundation.

'It is with heavy hearts that we mourn the passing of Travis Roy,' the school said in a statement. 'His story is the epitome of inspiration and courage, and he was a role model and a hero to so many people.

'Travis' work and dedication toward helping fellow spinal cord-injury survivors is nothing short of amazing. His legacy will last forever, not just within the Boston University community, but with the countless lives he has impacted across the country.'

Roy was a 20-year-old freshman making his debut for the reigning NCAA champions in the 1995-96 season opener when he crashed headfirst into the boards after checking a North Dakota opponent.

The accident left him a quadriplegic.

From his wheelchair, he gave as many as 40 motivational speeches a year. The message he shared: Do the best with what you have and don't dwell on your misfortune.

'I like to say the first 20 years I had a life that was full of passion and the last 20 I've had a life full of purpose,' he said in an interview with The Associated Press shortly after turning 40. 'The dream is to have both at the same time, but I'm fortunate. I'll take either one.'

Since he created the Travis Roy Foundation in 1997, it has raised more than $9 million - half for research, and half to provide equipment for those with spinal cord injuries. Roy, who was able to control the joystick that maneuvered his chair, regained little movement after the injury and had no feeling below the middle of his chest.

'I just thought the research would move along and by the time I was 40 I might have a chance of some normalcy again,' Roy told the AP in 2015, 'some kids and a wife and not living with 24-hour home care anymore.'

The hockey world mourned his passing on Thursday, with the NHL calling Roy 'a special man who responded to his devastating injury by dedicating himself to serving others.'

Selling All My Cards Here------>Hidden Content

Baseball Autograph and Game Used Only Trade Page: pwaldo.webs.com/
    //s123.photobucket.com/albums/o299/pwaldo/

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See Kearl_Rob's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale