@30ranfordfan, a couple points without quotes to keep it shorter.

My projected Defense are: Keith, Murphy, DeHaan, Mitchell, Boqvist, Zadorov or Kalynuk or Beaudin, Seabrook. They are obviously trying to go younger (look at the Goalie situation) in a soft rebuild and will want to give Mitchell a chance and possibly the last 2 instead of Zadorov depending on camp.

With regards to the money, they do have to meet minimum thresholds from the expansion draft/league minimums. Depending on who else they pick they might need that $7MM cap hit, even if it comes with $5M of cash. The Hawks might have to entice him with a young talent and/or high draft pick, but it might be worth it to not lose other young talent ala Panarin due to cap issues.

Oh, if the Hawks can move Seabrook - it's absolutely in their best interests to do it. I do believe that.

I guess my point is this. Seabrook will be in tough to make the Hawks opening game lineup. I expect Seattle will be able to put together a deeper group of defence, via the expansion draft, than the Hawks will have. In short, I don't think Seabrook will be good enough to be a top-6 dman with Seattle in 2021-22, and I don't think any intangibles he brings are worth his salary to them, unless they're going to struggle to hit the cap floor, but that shouldn't be an issue for them.

That being said, if Chicago can offer them the right kind of incentive to take him, maybe they do it anyway. They'll be in a position to absorb that cap hit if they want to. That's my thoughts on James Neal in Edmonton too. There was talk of a buyout, but I think that's dumb. Play him for this season, and then try and entice Seattle to take him. If they won't, consider a buyout after that.

I just don't see the incentive for Seabrook to waive his NMC. He negotiated one, I assume, because he likes it in Chicago, and wants to stay there. Vegas was able to give Marc-Andre Fleury ice time.... so there was an added bonus for him, if he agreed to leave Pittsburgh. Not more split time. I don't think that works for Seabrook, he's likely still just a part time player if he goes to Seattle.

Of course, if Seabrook is convinced that he's still got it, and can be a regular player if given a chance.... maybe the incentive is there.