Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Can someone give me some info on Trilogy Rookies?

I dont buy this stuff so i dont know much about it but i got a Makar Tier 2 rookie in a Lot i purchased. Whats the difference in the Tier 1, Tier 2 & is there a Tier 3? Is the Tier 1 the True rookie & the others are basically Inserts? Any clarification is much appreciated. Thanks
    James

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See G0SHARKSG0's Items on eBay

If it's the same as it has been since 14-15 then there are basically 3 levels part of the main set, level 1 being the most common but also the first card in the set. Based on how beckett deems a "true rookie", this would be the true rookie.

Personally I feel since Level 2 and level 3 are part of the base set, I consider them also "true rookies" but I'm sure there will be others who consider only the Level 1 to be the true rookie.

Value wise I don't know how it affects the cards as Levels 2 and 3 are more rare than level 1

SCF Rewards
    Country

cool thanks

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See scotforti's Items on eBay

Trilogy is quite unique in the hobby with the way it structures the rookies in the set

the whole concept of "true rookie" is something that we all make up within the hobby as a near-consensus, it's not like there's some actual written-down rulebook we're following.

There are a few characteristics of a card to be considered a "true rookie" but the biggest one is generally that it's naturally numbered within the main set (i.e. not part of an insert set) or a parallel.

In the case of Trilogy all 3 levels of rookie are naturally numbered within the main set - so a set builder will want them all.

Another rule (much less important and basically exists just for trilogy for the most part) is that it's the first such card within a set number-wise so as the previous poster mentioned the level 1 would be the "true rookie" however many trilogy collectors consider all of them "true rookies"

It's kind of like Canvas Young Guns - they don't follow the rules for being a rookie card but a huuuuge portion of rookie collectors consider Canvas Young Guns to be rookie cards

the TLDR here is as a hobby we can consider any card we want a rookie card as long as most of us agree - and based on this it's reasonably safe to consider all 3 levels "rookie cards"

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Winnipeg Jets Detroit Tigers Detroit Lions
    See opulent_jupiter's Items on eBay

Cool. Good info. I kind of always wondered that too.
    Click Here for my Complete Inventory: Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Hockey Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens Toronto Blue Jays San Francisco 49ers
    Twitter: @@RealRGM81 See price31collector's Items on eBay Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

Ah, Trilogy. One of those sets with some buried gems in the product and the rest gets overlooked because they charge premium prices for mid-range delivery.

What they've done in recent years is give the rookies three different "rookie cards" in the main set:

Base RC /99
    Autograph RC /399, /249 or /149 (some guys are shorter-printed)
    SP Autograph RC /49

The images are unique on each, progressively tighter shots to the player based on the print run.
    Habs fan and collector! Main PC's: Carey Price, Nick Suzuki, Cole Caufield, Juraj Slafkovsky, and of course...

Hidden Content Hidden Content ! 254 Unique Cards + 23 1/1's!!!

Participate in our Hidden Content , sponsored by Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country

Great info guys.. Cheers

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Winnipeg Jets Boston Bruins
    See timothystar's Items on eBay My traders on Flickr

I thought I saw a Svechnikov Trilogy rc # to /37. Same idea as SPGU...
    Bucket: Hidden Content

Sets: 20 12/13 Artifacts
    Players: Ovechkin, star YG's.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Winnipeg Jets Boston Bruins
    See timothystar's Items on eBay My traders on Flickr

Oh never mind, that was SPx...can't believe how cheap it is.
    Trilogy has a retro black rc #/25