Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Country

Alright, when will it end!

What is going on with card pricing. Particularly RC pricing. Gretzky RCs are through the roof, trash condition PSA1s have broken the $1,000 mark. Ungraded cards are going for huge dollars. PSA2 grades are pushing 2 grand and on up from there. I mean it is about time, but these prices are skyrocketing. Pull out your time machine, you don't have to go back more than a few months, and cards were a quarter of what they are at right now.
    This Ad will be removed when you a member of sportscardforum.com

Same goes for just about any RC, UD Young Guns, Crosby/Ovechkin. What you paid for a BGS 9.5 last year is less than what a BGS 9.0 goes for now.

Old sets/new sets, old RCs/new RCs, all up, up, up.

Now I am not complaining, it's great for the hobby, especially great if you are a seller, and tough if you are a buyer. Where does it end?

Starting to think my cards might actually have some decent retirement value!

BTW, there is this COVID thing going on and unemployment numbers are huge and people are broke - who is buying all these cards?

Hockey Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens Toronto Blue Jays San Francisco 49ers
    Twitter: @@RealRGM81 See price31collector's Items on eBay Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

Actually, in spite of COVID, research indicates that people are sitting on more disposable income than they have in recent years, in large part due to the pandemic. We're not travelling, we're not going to the pub 2-3 nights a week, not going to the movies, etc. When the economy does finally fully open up again, it's going to be a bonanza.

And while sitting at home, everybody's watching Netflix and seeing the Jordan story and the Tiger story, so they're buying sports cards...and for once, all these new people are spilling over into hockey as well. It's creating insanity in the market, and cards are now fluctuating as often as stocks. Nick Suzuki YG's are going for $150 right now, and climbing. That was a $50 card a year ago. Patrick Roy OPC RC's are up 500%

And as you mentioned, the superstars & legends are going through the roof. I don't know if it's sustainable over the long haul, but it sure is fun to watch.
    Carey Price fan and collector!

Hidden Content Hidden Content ! 246 Unique Cards + 21 1/1's!!!

Updated Trade List: Hidden Content

Assistant General Manager

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

Actually, in spite of COVID, research indicates that people are sitting on more disposable income than they have in recent years, in large part due to the pandemic. We're not travelling, we're not going to the pub 2-3 nights a week, not going to the movies, etc. When the economy does finally fully open up again, it's going to be a bonanza.

And while sitting at home, everybody's watching Netflix and seeing the Jordan story and the Tiger story, so they're buying sports cards...and for once, all these new people are spilling over into hockey as well. It's creating insanity in the market, and cards are now fluctuating as often as stocks. Nick Suzuki YG's are going for $150 right now, and climbing. That was a $50 card a year ago. Patrick Roy OPC RC's are up 500%

And as you mentioned, the superstars & legends are going through the roof. I don't know if it's sustainable over the long haul, but it sure is fun to watch.

Richard,
    Do you have any links to share about the disposable income. I assume your referring those in Canada or is this for the world as a whole? I am sure folks who are working definitely have the income but I know that 5.2 million people are set to be evicted in February. So I understand there a lot of folks who have the disposable income but I seen some huge numbers that suggest deficit per average American is going up yet again.

p.s. Well, I guess it all good for the sellers for however this bubble lasts. When it pops it going to be HUGE.
    @RGM81

DON
    Great Prices on soft sleeves and top loaders!

Standard Soft sleeves .75 each or (5 for $3), Thick Soft Sleeves $1 each or (5 for $4), Top Loaders 60 point $2.75 each (3 for $8), Top Loaders 100 point $4, Top Loaders 140 points $2.50 each or (3 for $7) Top Loaders 190 point $1.75 each or (3 for $5), Top Loaders 240 point $2 each or (6 for $10). Prices do not include shipping!!

SCF Rewards
    Country

The hockey community is not buying these cards at these prices.

Its all about the other sports guys coming into our hobby. When you think basketball / baseball / football ..... thats a whole new animal compared to Hockey.

We think cards like the McDavid YG is mass produced, and while it is in terms of Hockey cards, its nothing compared to the other American sports.

Was doing some digging, and just look at these numbers:

Young Guns = Prizm Rookies for Basketball. Both are readily available, from the flagship product ..... non numbered, literally the king rookie of the average collection. I took the 3 most sought after / invested in players from each sport

Crosby Young Guns - PSA 10 - 751 / PSA 9 - 235
    Ovechkin Young Guns - PSA 10 - 843 / PSA 9 - 390
    McDvaid Young Guns - PSA 10 - 1975 / PSA 9 - 690

Now keep in mind, thats 15ish years of grading Crosby and Ovechkin, and 6ish years of McDavid. These guys are hands down the top 3 Young Guns ever produced.

Zion Prizm Rookie - PSA 10 - 15,209 / PSA 9 -11,737
    Morant Prizm Rookie - PSA - 10 13,2015 / PSA 9 - 9,618
    Doncic Prizm Rookie - PSA - 10 15,799 / PSA 9 - 10,407

Luka was a rookie in 2018/19, while Zion and Ja ONLY came out during 2019/20. I think its also safe to assume, that for every McDavid / Crosby / Ovi YG sitting at PSA right now, there are 100X that of Zion / Ja / Luka.

Now lets say youve been an investor / collector in Basketball all these years. Youve been shelling a ton of money out for these 3 guys, all unproven and all quite young. Are they the Top 3 in the game? No, not by a long shot, but they all have amazing potential. You start to venture out of Basketball due to the insane prices ( if we think Hockey wax is bad, imagine paying $850+ on a $150SRP product ). You turn to Hockey, you know McDavid / Crosby / Ovechkin .... because if anyone follows multi-sports, they know the top guys .... and it gets you thinking. If theyve been spending thousands on not even top of the top tier players, that have PSA print runs way above 5 digits, and when entering the Hockey market, you see our undisputed Top 3 guys for the last 15 years, some selling under $1000 at PSA 10 ( McDavid before the boom ) ..... with a print run 7-8X less of the guys you were already buying ....... you are gonna go in big.

With the amount of investors in the hobby, it was only a matter of time for Hockey to get the huge increase ..... again, not from the Hockey community, but from the new money in the Hobby. The demand for Hockey cards has never been higher.

Our supertars have expolded ..... superstars I dont see popping completely. Its the guys paying $200 for a Kotkaniemi PSA 10 YG thats gonna get burned. You still to the top 1% of all NHLers, past and present, I think you will be just fine.
    *** Main PC - Roberto Luongo ***
    *** MOST WANTED - 12/13 PRIME COLORS "PATCH" ROBERTO LUONGO x/8 ***

Flickr ( not updated ) - Hidden Content
    Trade List - Hidden Content

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Arizona Coyotes Detroit Red Wings Michigan State Spartans
    Twitter: @chisparty07 Upper Deck ePack
    Member is PayPal Verified

Crosby Young Guns - PSA 10 - 751 / PSA 9 - 235
    Ovechkin Young Guns - PSA 10 - 843 / PSA 9 - 390
    McDvaid Young Guns - PSA 10 - 1975 / PSA 9 - 690

One thing I think you missed here is that in my opinion hockey uses Beckett more, and BBall uses PSA be curious to see those numbers
    Michigan State Collector
    Hidden Content

Hockey Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens Toronto Blue Jays San Francisco 49ers
    Twitter: @@RealRGM81 See price31collector's Items on eBay Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

Richard,
    Do you have any links to share about the disposable income. I assume your referring those in Canada or is this for the world as a whole? I am sure folks who are working definitely have the income but I know that 5.2 million people are set to be evicted in February. So I understand there a lot of folks who have the disposable income but I seen some huge numbers that suggest deficit per average American is going up yet again.

p.s. Well, I guess it all good for the sellers for however this bubble lasts. When it pops it going to be HUGE.
    @RGM81

DON

Yeah I can only speak for Canada's numbers on this one. It can be a mixed bag but there was an OECD report that came out not too long ago that showed Canadians, on average, saved about 5x more last year than in prior years. One article here: https://www.theglobeandmail.com/inve...ut-a-chill-on/
    There was a minor uproar not too long ago when our Deputy PM and Minister of Finance, Chrystia Freeland, spoke about "unlocking" Canadians' savings to stimulate the economy. That's going to happen naturally--as soon as sports fans can go to games or music-lovers can go to concerts, etc. we will see personal spending increase to considerable degree. But of course some tried to twist the words into something nefarious, implying that government was coming for our pocketbooks. LOL

SCF Rewards
    Country

One thing I think you missed here is that in my opinion hockey uses Beckett more, and BBall uses PSA be curious to see those numbers

@sparty07

Crosby BGS 9.5 - 2151 - 140x 10s
    Ovechkin BGS 9.5 - 1736 - 55x 10s
    McDavid BGS 9.5 - 7015 - 536x 10s

Zion BGS 9.5 - 8461 - 683x 10s
    Ja BGS 9.5 - 4358 - 313x 10s
    Luka BGS 9.5 - 2517 - 124x 10s

Combined numbers - BGS 9.5+ / PSA 10 cards:

Crosby - 3,042
    Ovechkin - 2,634
    McDavid - 9,526

Zion - 24,353
    Ja - 17,872
    Luka - 18,440

For one of the cards in the Hockey Hobby that gets the most heat for being "Mass Produced" in the McDavid YG ..... its still not even close to Ja / Luka / Zion .....

You could argue Ja / Zion / Luka COULD become the next McDavid ..... but McDavid is easily the best offensive player in the game, and most likely will be for the next 8-10 years. Neither Ja / Zion / Luka can claim that

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    CnC (21)
    Country
    Toronto Maple Leafs Calgary Flames NULL
    Twitter: @@creasecollector Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack My traders on Flickr

I think this will continue right through 2021 and into 2022.... Awesome for the hobby!

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Winnipeg Jets Boston Bruins
    See timothystar's Items on eBay My traders on Flickr

If I had a dollar for every time someone on here said "just collect what you like"...
    Oh well it was just a hobby until very recently...and I'm no Oiler's fan. lol
    Guess I better sell the whole stash to finance one McDavid YG??
    Mail it away to get it graded and buy a safe to store it in?? lol Crazy times...
    Bucket: Hidden Content

Sets: Artifacts:12/13 & 19/20
    Players: Ovechkin, Gretzky, Lemieux, Star YG's.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Winnipeg Jets Boston Bruins
    See timothystar's Items on eBay My traders on Flickr

I have to add the investment side of it is pretty fun. Sometime in the last year I bought a Mackinnon YG Canvas BGS 9.5 strictly as an investment, for $150. Close to the most I have ever spent on one card, and now to see what it is selling for is pretty mind blowing! It just keeps going up and up every time I check on eBay. I have no idea how long this will go but it is fun.

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast