Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Indianapolis Colts Cincinnati Reds Indiana Pacers
    See habart14's Items on eBay

SCAMMED ON EBAY (As a seller)

Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but I wanted to reach out and ask if any eBay sellers out there have every been scammed selling cards on eBay? I've been selling cards on eBay for almost 20 years, and this is the first time I have ever experienced this.

I sold a raw Wembanyama Prizm Rookie that was noticeably off centered, heavy left, which is why I chose to sell raw rather than send off for grading. To be clear, when I listed this card on eBay, I took VERY CLEAR front and back pictures of the card as I do with every card I sell. The buyer messaged me when he received the card and stated it was damaged. He sent only a partial picture of the back of the card and a large "dimple" could be seen in the picture in the area of the Spurs logo. He wanted to return the card and claimed the listing was not accurately described.

I knew right away that the card I sent him did not have a dimple and that he was trying to return a damaged card and keep the one I sold him. Long story short, I explained this to eBay IN DETAIL, but eBay still granted the buyer's return. I just received the card today and as soon as I opened the package, it was immediately obvious, I had just been scammed. The card he sent back was almost perfectly centered. Mine was NOT centered - heavy left. When I flipped it over, not only was there 1 dimple.. there were THREE!

There were also print lines in different places on the back and a small scratch on the center of the front of the card. I cannot believe eBay lets this happen with buyer protection guarantee. It's a clear scam and there was literally nothing more I could do as a seller to prevent this. I took CLEAR photos and explained in great detail to eBay that this was not the card I sold before the return was granted.

I have since opened an appeal with eBay, so we'll see what comes out of this, but at the end of the day the buyer has my card and he got refunded for his payment. I'm stuck with a damaged card I never owned with no money from the transaction. In my opinion, at minimum, this buyer should be banned from eBay and I should be compensated for this scammed transaction.

What do you all think? Has this ever happened to anyone else?

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    TR (44)
    Country
    West Virginia Mountaineers

I would have requested pictures of the entire card front and back from the seller before I'd accept a return.

I'd say don't offer returns in your future auctions.
    I collect all WVU Alumni: Amos Zereoue, Steve Slaton, Pat White, Robert Sands, Rasul Douglas, Avon Cobourne, Quincy Wilson, Owen Schmitt, Will Grier, Gary Jennings, David Sills, Trevon Wesco, Pat McAfee, Darius Stills, Tavon Austin, Geno Smith, Charles Sims, Sam Huff, Chuck Howley, Jerry West (NBA), Jevon Carter (NBA), Jedd Gyorko (MLB), etc.
    and
    Dolphins, Avalanche, St.L Cardinals, & SF Giants

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Indianapolis Colts Cincinnati Reds Indiana Pacers
    See habart14's Items on eBay

@Davz13 Sellers don't have the option to not offer returns! I would love to make all sales final, but eBay has a buyers protection guarantee. Literally as soon as the buyer opened a return request, eBay auto deducted the money from the sale out of my account and it was put on hold until eBay made a final decision.

****UPDATE**** Luckily for me, my appeal was accepted by eBay. They will be compensating me for the amount of the final sales price. Not sure what will be happening to this buyer, but he needs to be banned from eBay for life.
    Last edited by habart30; 05-02-2024 at 12:21 PM.

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    TR (44)
    Country
    West Virginia Mountaineers

@Davz13 Sellers don't have the option to not offer returns! I would love to make all sales final, but eBay has a buyers protection guarantee. Literally as soon as the buyer opened a return request, eBay auto deducted the money from the sale out of my account and it was put on hold until eBay made a final decision.

Oh, I see now.
    You can mark No Returns as an option... but "If the buyer wants to return an item to you, your options for responding will depend on why they want to send it back. If the item is damaged, faulty, or doesn't match the listing description, they're covered by the eBay Money Back Guarantee, and you'll have to refund them or replace the item even if you don't offer returns."
    So their fake scam of saying it was damaged (even though it was a swapped out card) opened up the eBay Money Back Guarantee (even if you would have marked No Returns). Well that's dumb.

****UPDATE**** Luckily for me, my appeal was accepted by eBay. They will be compensating me for the amount of the final sales price. Not sure what will be happening to this buyer, but he needs to be banned from eBay for life.

I'm glad eBay sided with you, and yes, I hope they ban him!

Assistant General Manager

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

If you can share the actual ebay listing and also the seller information. I mean if other sellers are here on ebay they might want to make sure they put this buyer on their block list.

p.s. I know Richard RGM81 and I try to get all folks like you to post there. If you are willing tag me and I will dig up the thread. I know it many many pages of ebay folks to avoid LOL. Just do not want to waste my time searching for the information if your not going to reply to it. Just lmk and glad you had Ebay side with you.
    @habart30

Don