Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Country

So a guy answers my Facebook Marketplace ad and wants to trade me hockey for my baseball....

Ok, I cant believe this just happened but it's certainly welcome.

I've been trying to get rid of all of my non-hockey to make some room so I placed an ad on the Facebook Marketplace for a 3,200 ct box of junk wax era stars & hof'ers - nothing special - the cards were basically 1978-2021, essentially dollar-bin cards so I advertised the entire box for $200. My ad gets a bunch of attention over the course of a workweek - there were at least 10 different people interested so to be fair with everyone I just told them all "first come first serve" however this one collector asked me if I wanted to trade (of course I want to trade, what type of question is that? lol) - mind you I'm from Chicago so hockey is popular but it's still the 4th sport unfortunately - probably 5th after soccer, lol. Anyway, I tell this baseball card collector that presently I really only collect hockey, so he tells me that he really only collects baseball and that he has a small collection of hockey cards and memorabilia so me and him are pretty much in the same situation - I don't want my baseball and he doesn't want his hockey - perfect fit, lol.. So he sends me pics of some of his hockey cards and memorabilia and I send him more pics of the baseball.. We're both trilled so obviously we started making plans to get together and do trading, it turns out the guy works at the bank directly across the street from my house, which was pretty crazy within itself..... Anyway this is where it gets pretty awesome..

So he stopped by earlier this afternoon with a huge box of hockey cards and Chicago Blackhawks memorabilia - this is Chicago - I'm a Hawks fan - so I'm absolutely stoked at this point, I mean there were 8 autographed pucks in this box (all with COA's and in cases), a half dozen autographed pictures, a handful of autographed Hawks cards and a few boxes of hockey cards - I'd say about 1,000 cards but I was already sold on the memorabilia so I was already "giddy" lol - anyway I'm going through his cards and memorabilia (now mine) and he's going though mine (now his) and he's giving me a look like "alright, how much cash am I going to have to fork over on top of the hockey stuff?" and I'm like "man I want this hockey stuff, I hope hes cool with all of that junk wax dollar-bin 89 Fleer Gregg Maddux and Barry Bonds nonsense"... Anyway I'm just like "hockey for baseball straight up?" and he's like "absolutely".. Lol, it was so funny because you could tell that he thinks he's getting a fantastic deal for stuff he doesn't care about and I'm thinking I'm getting a fantastic deal for cards I don't care about - so I could tell he tried to leave as quick as possible before any minds were changed - I wasn't changing my mind, lol.. I mean he did walk away with 10,000 cards a third of which were stars/HOF'ers...

Anyway, on top of the fantastic Hawks memorabilia I got -- I got some pretty significant high-end hits I was NOT expecting at all... The baseball collector said he didn't know much about hockey, well apparently not because I got around 1,000 stars but also these:

I found these cards in the box raw, with no sleeves or anything.

- 2004-05 Upper Deck Legends Classics Gordie Howe Platinum Parallel S/N# 5/10
    - 2004-05 Upper Deck Zdeno Chara High Gloss S/N# 10/10
    - 2004-05 Upper Deck Legends Classics Bryan Trottier Silver Parallel S/N# 17/75
    - 2004-05 Upper Deck Legends Classics Lanny McDonald Silver Parallel S/N# 1/75

And all I wanted was $200 bucks, lol

There were also plenty of "mid-end" cards in the lot as well. Quite a few 04-05 Young Guns; Francis and Stevens + a handful of commentators, Selanne YG -- just a ton of awesome stuff.

To be honest it looks like someone broke a box of 04-05 Classic Legends, a box of 04-05 Upper Deck and a box of 91-92 Topps and then just put them into a box with a bunch of random hockey stars... If that's the case then whomever broke these boxes obviously knew nothing about hockey however they absolutely had luck on their side, lol...

Those are some amazing hits for sure... Especially that Chara, I don't anticipate that card will be sticking around in my traders for too long.... I think those that PC the big man are going to want that one, lol.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See ap0813's Items on eBay

Absolutely awesome story. That's what the hobby is all about glad it worked out for you. If you don't mind me asking what 04-05 ygs did you get?

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Washington Capitals Washington Capitals Washington Capitals
    See capsfan30's Items on eBay

I want to see pics of the pucks and autoed photos :D

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    Cleveland Indians Buffalo Sabres Buffalo Bulls
    See scottkoz20's Items on eBay Packrip.com Traders COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack
    Send PayPal to scottkoz20 Member is PayPal Verified

. ^^^^ this

awesome story as well

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    (108) Hobby Insider
    Country

Wow, awesome! The Howe /10 is sharp!
    Wantlist: Hidden Content
    Tradelist: Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country

Absolutely.... I'll post pics of all of the stuff I got from this guy... It's really cool stuff..

I just have to charge my phone because it's at 8%, lol and I wont get a flash, so yea when I get some juice in it I'll post pics... I'm still stoked about what I got and it's been 3 days, lol...

SCF Rewards
    Country

Here is most of it, tho there are a few more auto's I forgot to take pics of, 90-91 Topps Troy Murray Auto, Reid Simpson Auto 8x10, Nick Leddy Ultimate Rookie Auto, Frolik Autographx etc..

I put cards to the right of the pucks so you know who they are:

The only 2 I couldn't find cards for at the moment were Antti Raanta and Viktor Stalberg

I actually got 2 of these which is really nice..... Savard was one of my childhood idols so adding this to the PC is really a thrill...

This one is Brandon Bollig beating the crap out of Dale Weise

Jeremy Morin

Ben Smith after winning the Cup obviously

Patrick Poulin, he was a pretty high pick and had a solid career - only played a few seasons as a Blackhawk

Yea, not bad for some junk wax era baseball cards - not to mention those hits are fantastic.. I mean a 5/10 Platinum Gordie Howe, a Chara High Gloss 10/10, a McDonald 1/75 and a Troittier 18/75 -- yea, I'm not going to complain, lol.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    Chicago Blackhawks

Great Deal and as a Hawks fan also, WOW

Assistant General Manager

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

Thanks for sharing and congrats on the good fortune of getting some sweet stuff.

DON

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Army
    Dallas Cowboys
    See krunchtyme's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale

That is awesome!!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast