Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

See cfa10123's Items on eBay

Packs & Boxes Letter 4/22/03

Welcome the the first edition of "The Packs & Boxes Letter". This newsletter is to provide the reader will a better understanding of the what's hot, and what's not in the world of unopened (and opened) sports card packs and boxes. Please send any feedback on this letter to: [email protected]! If you'd like to subscribe to the very, very in-depth letter, please email for rates as well!

News & Info
    ---------------
    Baseball: Upper Deck revealed it's new hot release: 2003 Yankees Signature Series. The packs contain three cards, one of which is an autograph and the SRP is $29.99 a pack, though packs can be found for as little as $20. The list of people who autographed cards for the base set include stars like, Dave Winfield, Yogi Berra, and some players known only to Yankee fans like Randy Gumpert and Virgil "Fire" Trucks. Boxes can be found for $150...if you're lucky! I recently busted four packs and was happy with the results. I pulled: a Ken Singleton autograph, a Jim Kaat autograph, a Jimmy Key autograph and a Yogi Berra redemption. The packs cost me about $96, but it was money well spent, especially given the fact I'm a diehard Yankee fan. I would keep this one in your unopened collection, as it will likely hold a huge premium in the future; Yankees continue to sell well in the aftermarket.

Basketball: Upper Deck unveiled it's 2002-03 Honor Roll product with little fanfare. There are some sought after inserts and memorabilia cards that will have collectors busting many packs and boxes. Among them include Rookie Jerseys and a few inserts such as Honor Roll Principals (1:480 packs). Overall, this product is decent, and will have some collectors busy searching for high dollar inserts.

Hockey: The 2002-03 Upper Deck SP Authentic product came out and in my opinion, is a very attractive set. The release 1998 UD SP Authentic basketball boxes had me stocking up on them for my unopened collection (which has paid off), this year's set in Hockey will likely do the same. The Signed Future Watch autographs /999 are very attractive cards, and can be found two per box on average. Overall, I'd buy a few of these boxes for keeping in your unopened collection, and a few to bust open in search of Signed Future Watch cards and a few tough, attractive jersey cards, as well.

Undervalued Box of the Week
    -------------------------------------
    This week's undervalued box is none other than that of 2002 Upper Deck Prospect Premieres baseball. These can be obtained for relatively cheap prices ($30!) and at least one jersey and autographed card of a baseball Draft Pick is inserted. I have kept a few boxes in my unopened collection, and I busted a few. I have gotten a Scott Kazmir autograph ($100), a Jeff Francoeur jersey ($40), Joe Saunder autograph ($15), Sergio Santos jersey and many others. I have yet to bust open a few other boxes, and will likely save them to follow the outcome of many of the prospects featured in the set. The players in these boxes might prove to be a very attractive investment, as well.

Overvalued Box of the Week
    ------------------------------------
    This week's overvalued box is from a great year for basketball rookies: 1998. The box is none other than 1998 Upper Deck Series 2 MJ Access. While jersey cards can be pulled at a rate of 1:288 packs, the box is relatively un-attractive for unopened material collectors, and those who collector cards in general. While many great rookie cards of such players as Vince Carter and Dirk Nowitzki can be pulled, they will sell for little in the aftermarket. The box can be purchased for more than $120 in some places, and even given the chance of pulling a Michael Jordan memorabilia or autograph card (the odds are virtually impossible), this box is way too overvalued.

That's it for this week's "Packs & Boxes Letter", stay tuned for next week's edition!

Tim

SCF Rewards

An excellent email. Enjoy learning tid bits on what's hot, and what to look for. Great job.

p.s. If I may make a recommendation. Perhaps you could elaborate more on each particular set.

But of course, perhaps most just like the concise way you presented the information.

I am an information geek; the more info, the better, since I can always tune out what I don't want to read.

Please do not be offended. It's a wonderful newsletter. Now, I know what to expect if I decide to shell out dough for the Yankees signature set.

Thanks for the nice feedback! I will definitely elaborate more in-depth, next issue will be bigger and better!

Thanks again

Tim

Prospect King, thanks, I just do it because I love unopening and keeping some boxes and packs. Thanks for the nice feedback!!

Tim

Breaking Packs & Boxes News - 4/23/03 - 11:40 PM EST
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    A new value was just discovered, and it is my duty to tell you of it as I find it! Recently, I found a 1984 Topps Vending Box (Don Mattingly RC possible) for only $9.99 plus shipping! This is a tremendous deal considering the value and possible large future value his rookie card might hold. Get a hold of these while you can.

For those who don't know what vending boxes are, they are boxes that are sealed but have random cards in them (not a set, and not packs), they might contain one card of the same player, or 50 cards of the same player! It's all chance.

Just wanted to let everyone know.

Tim

SCF Rewards

Tim, hey! where'd you find that deal -- on Ebay.

1984 cards are pretty desirable.

On a side note: Had the Yankees been half as successful in 1980s and they were in 1990s, Mattingly would be Derek Jeter x 2

That's how good Mattingly was; too bad he toiled in obscurity, if one can actually play in obscurity in NY

Hey Podstock,
    Yep, it was on eBay, and thought it was a deal. I totally agree with your views on Mattingly and the Yankees then. Too bad his RCs aren't worth more, they deserve it, IMO. He was a real Yankee's legend. I might pick up a few of those vending boxes later today on eBay, and report back here what happens.

Tim

SCF Rewards

good job!!!

I would just like to say, I opened a box of 03 SP Authentic Hockey and got nothing, 2 jersey cards, one unsigned rookie of a nobody, a couple of numbered cards

Then I have bought about 15 packs since then, still yet to see an auto rookie, did however pull a Scottie Upshall "Signed Future Watch Patch Card" (/100)

Most packs are filled with just base

by the way, Need all 3 Rick Nash cards from this brand:

Auto Rookie (/999)
    Auto Patch Card (/100)
    Sign of the Times

Thanks

Andrew

don't forget to check out my site

www.freewebs.com/ricknash/index.html

Hey Andrew,
    How much was the box and where did you get it from? I think the cards are nice, and congrats on the Upshall auto/patch /100, that's a really nice card. Thanks for the compliment.

Tim

PS - I just noticed all cards I talked about were Upper Deck, I will try to make it all different brands, but those were the new releases. I will also be adding a golf section for those who collect it. Thanks.

SCF Rewards

hey, when you buy a vending box, isn't it supposed to be sealed?

I bought a 1987 Topps vending box on Ebay several years ago; it wasn't sealed.

But, I got a couple of Bonds rookie and several Palmeiro rookies, and a few other stars....wasn't too bad.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast