Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See navarrofat's Items on eBay

Opinion on PressTine Dollarama packs?

Has anyone ever had much luck with the repacked hockey card packs at Dollarama? I've seen some of the hockey card youtubers do a bunch of breaks on them and occasionally you get a few ok cards or supplies from the mystery packs.

I stopped by a Dollarama today and picked up three $2 surprise bags and one of the $1.25 card packs. These were my "hits"
    1990-91 Bowman Hat Tricks #5 Steve Yzerman
    1992-93 Upper Deck #338 Igor Korolev RS RC (he was a Leaf when I was a kid so I'll tuck this into my PC)
    1995-96 Parkhurst '66-67 #76 Lorne Worsley
    2010-11 Upper Deck 20th Anniversary Parallel #33 Jay McClement
    2010-11 Upper Deck 20th Anniversary Parallel #51 Wojtek Wolski
    2019-20 SP Authentic #44 Joe Thornton
    2019-20 Upper Deck #186 Leon Draisaitl

I got three packs of 4 toploaders each. They are at a premium these days but doesn't seem like great value overall.
    I also ended up with a small stack of 2015-current base commons and a roughly equal stack of early 90s junk wax commons.

Does anyone have any success stories with these or opinion on them in general?

Assistant General Manager

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

I do not live in Canada so I have no option like this but if that is what I received for my hits I think I would focus money on things I truly wanted. Hopefully, someone who has actually bought these packs can chime in if they ever hit anything good.

DON

Hockey Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens Toronto Blue Jays San Francisco 49ers
    Twitter: @@RealRGM81 See price31collector's Items on eBay Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

Unless there's a Connor McDavid YG hanging out in one of them, you're probably just tossing money out.
    Habs fan and collector! Main PC's: Carey Price, Nick Suzuki, Cole Caufield, Juraj Slafkovsky, and of course...

Hidden Content Hidden Content ! 254 Unique Cards + 23 1/1's!!!

Participate in our Hidden Content , sponsored by Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country

These surprise bags aren't geared towards hobbyists looking for a hit of any kind. They're basically entry level for kids or for anyone who just has an itch to rip but doesn't want to pay an arm and a leg for today's pack and box prices. I've gone through a few of them, knowingly just for fun, and I think the best I had was a Keith Primeau Score rookie from 90-91. You can get a loose pack of early 90s Score, Pro Set or even Upper Deck in them, or the toploaders/penny sleeves, but again mostly targeted to kids or just to rip without worrying about spending hundreds of dollars.

I think PressTine does make some packs that are a little more than $2 where you are guaranteed a memorabilia hit (usually just a low-end GU though) but I haven't bought those.
    Last edited by kallipolis; 07-21-2021 at 05:53 PM.

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Edmonton Oilers Toronto Blue Jays Hamilton Tiger Cats
    See 30Ranfordfan's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

I'm sure I saw someone in a FB group post that they got a bigger YG out of one. I don't remember who it was.... Marner maybe?

It's repacked cards. I would assume there are very few cards worth more than $1 (or so) inserted into them... with the odd card in the $10 - $30 range to show people they can get something nice. Marner, of course, is worth a lot more than that - but he could have been had for $30ish a few years ago..... so it's conceivable that he was included in a big lot of cards they purchased, and then repacked.

I assume that's there game. Buy cards by the 10s of thousands. If you buy up a stack of 30,000 hockey cards, and pay something in the range of $3,000 for it: You're in for 10 cents a card. Take your time and go through the lot. Anything worth more than $30 or $40, pull from the lot and resell those on the side. Let's say there were 50 cards removed, and you sold them for $30 each - half of your money has now been recouped.

The rest get put into these surprise packs, and after buying them for (about) 10 cents each - you put 6 of them in a pack, and sell them for $2. The packaging costs you money.... but I'm guessing you're doubling you money pretty easy.

I would never expect anything good out of them, but I won't knock the fun people might have with spending a couple of bucks to open on. We all like busting wax, and it's become VERY expensive. These are not.