Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Pittsburgh Penguins Pittsburgh Pirates Pittsburgh Steelers

2017-18 O-Pee-Chee Collection Question

Does anyone know the story behind why there are no 2017-18 OPC red parallel 500 series cards available for purchase or trade anywhere? Someone told me years ago that a collector needed to pull a mail-in redemption card from a pack to receive all 100 red parallel 500 series cards. Is that true? Can anyone confirm that story? And if it is true, why would a company like Upper Deck/OPC do something like that? Do they purposely want to keep hockey cards out of the hands of collectors.

Anxiously awaiting responses, thank you.

PS
    Please weigh in if you happen to have any of these very hard to find cards.

Hockey Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens Toronto Blue Jays San Francisco 49ers
    Twitter: @@RealRGM81 See price31collector's Items on eBay Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

Couldn't find too much info about the program other than this from the original release:

2017-18 O-Pee-Chee Hockey Wrapper Redemption Program

Exclusive to Canada, collectors who open hobby packs should keep their wrappers in order to obtain exclusive Red Border cards. Groups of 50 empty hobby packs for 2017-18 OPC can be submitted to an Upper Deck Certified Diamond Dealer in Canada in exchange for a six-card pack. Each pack contains five base OPC Red parallels and one Mini Red parallel card. The CDD shop will handle fulfillment.

I took a look through the Inventory and there's not much available for images of the 2017-18 OPC Reds to begin with. The only card 501-600 with an image is the Alex Tuch RC so they do appear to be very hard to find indeed.

Habs fan and collector! Main PC's: Carey Price, Nick Suzuki, Cole Caufield, Juraj Slafkovsky, and of course...

Hidden Content Hidden Content ! 254 Unique Cards + 23 1/1's!!!

Participate in our Hidden Content , sponsored by Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country

Please type out how you made that search?
    Thank you.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See derzockersports's Items on eBay

There are almost 200 listed on COMC. As RGM81 pointed out, this was the wrapper redemption program for 17-18 and it was a Canada-exclusive. An US-based collector had to send his wrappers to a Canadian friend to get them redeemed. It was the same in 18-19 if I am remembering correctly.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Maybe some red parallel cards are listed, but NONE are from the 500 series.

Hockey Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens Toronto Blue Jays San Francisco 49ers
    Twitter: @@RealRGM81 See price31collector's Items on eBay Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

There are almost 200 listed on COMC. As RGM81 pointed out, this was the wrapper redemption program for 17-18 and it was a Canada-exclusive. An US-based collector had to send his wrappers to a Canadian friend to get them redeemed. It was the same in 18-19 if I am remembering correctly.

There are, but none of the ones posted are the rookies / season highlights / league leaders.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See allonblack13's Items on eBay

I've got one in the 500 range and a couple more in the 600s. Always grab reds when I see them.

2017-18 O-Pee-Chee Red #507 Ivan Barbashev

SCF Rewards
    Country

Fred Bear,
    Not sure what you mean by 'there are'. You are likely looking at another 20171-18 OPC set. There are NO red parallel cards listed anywhere for the 500 series cards on any website and it has been that way since 2017. Not on eBay, not on COMC, not on Sportslots, no where. Please re-read my initial post. This is how I opened the post: 'Does anyone know the story behind why there are no 2017-18 OPC red parallel 500 series cards available for purchase or trade anywhere?' I am talking about 2017-18 O-Pee-Chee set, not OPC platinum, nor OPC Prism. I will challenge you to find even ONE red parallel card from this set anywhere. I like this forum very much on how collectors can communicate.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See derzockersports's Items on eBay

Fred Bear,
    Not sure what you mean by 'there are'. You are likely looking at another 20171-18 OPC set. There are NO red parallel cards listed anywhere for the 500 series cards on any website and it has been that way since 2017. Not on eBay, not on COMC, not on Sportslots, no where. Please re-read my initial post. This is how I opened the post: 'Does anyone know the story behind why there are no 2017-18 OPC red parallel 500 series cards available for purchase or trade anywhere?' I am talking about 2017-18 O-Pee-Chee set, not OPC platinum, nor OPC Prism. I will challenge you to find even ONE red parallel card from this set anywhere. I like this forum very much on how collectors can communicate.

Sorry, I didn't read the high-number stipulation. If you search on COMC and include 'sold out' cards, you can see that they 'have been' a couple listed from the high numbers and there are a few low numbers currently. I honestly don't remember if the high numbers were 'SP' in the redemption packs (I'm in the States and didn't do the wrapper redemptions). I know a couple of other collectors from other sites who might know (if they remember back that far) and might possibly have some available.

I definitely agree that some of the OPC parallels are the toughest unnumbered sets out there!

SCF Rewards
    Country

Thanks for the reply. I hope some of your collector friends can shed some light on how the 2017-18 OPC 500 series red parallels were distributed. I believe it will be what I stated in my initial post, a collector opening red parallel packs needed to pull a redemption card to get ALL the red parallel 500 series cards. Let's see what your friends say.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast