Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Football Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Member is PayPal Verified

WSJ Reports Fanatics to take over for Topps, Panini

In a sweeping reordering of the trading-card universe, unions representing players in Major League Baseball, the National Basketball Association and the National Football League have struck exclusive agreements with a new company controlled by online sports-merchandise retailer Fanatics Inc., people familiar with the matter said.

The deals break the grip that incumbent icon Topps Co. has held on the baseball-card market since the 1950s. The basketball and football players had deals with Panini America, Inc.

All three unions—the MLBPA, NBPA and NFLPA—will have stakes in the entity that will now have control of the most lucrative sports trading card assets in the country. MLB and the NBA have also struck deals with the new business and will also have a stake.

Topps and Panini did not immediately respond to requests for comment.

Sources:
    https://www.wsj.com/articles/fanatic...lb-11629401528

https://www.sportscollectorsdaily.co...enially-afoot/

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/m...ps-per-report/

https://twitter.com/fuzzyfromyt/stat...60930778599429

SCF Rewards
    Country

At best this is bad news for the hobby with the horrible potential for this to turn into an industry/hobby ending move by the players unions
    Selling All My Cards Here------>Hidden Content

Baseball Autograph and Game Used Only Trade Page: pwaldo.webs.com/
    //s123.photobucket.com/albums/o299/pwaldo/

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Oklahoma Sooners

At best this is bad news for the hobby with the horrible potential for this to turn into an industry/hobby ending move by the players unions

I don’t think this will be the case. This is the NIL era and the entire next generation of star players will be powered by their brand. A lot will already be raking in dough from College deals. I don’t think the future unions would do that.

What I could see happening is another monopoly situation, but I don’t think it would be any worse than current. I bought one of my favorite team shirts from fanatics so I don’t anticipate a crash and burn situation from the fan’s perspective. It may be the opposite if inflation keeps affecting things so heavily, but they have a big enough boat it would seem.
    Last edited by turnpipe; 09-01-2021 at 11:29 PM.

SCF Rewards
    Country

I bought one of my favorite team shirts from fanatics so I don’t anticipate a crash

Don't really see how a card collectible market has anything to do with sports apparel. Sports cards have value not so much with used clothing. Plus all the clothing on Fanatics website is horribly overpriced. Not a good sign for the card market already.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Oklahoma Sooners

Don't really see how a card collectible market has anything to do with sports apparel. Sports cards have value not so much with used clothing. Plus all the clothing on Fanatics website is horribly overpriced. Not a good sign for the card market already.

Panini started with stickers and Topps with gum what’s the issue? They have a huge online marketplace. They know how to make products that people want and will buy (design and quality wise). There will certainly be different levels of pricing as there have been for as long as I remember. They have potential to open brick and mortar clothing, card, fan super shops that could be really cool, or they could outfit existing stores with something similar.

Let me ask you this, what would be the ideal scenario? The return of the big three all having licenses? Still could be possible in a way as they sell products for multiple companies already. By no means am I an expert on the future, but I think it might be refreshing.

Football Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Member is PayPal Verified

Let me ask you this, what would be the ideal scenario? The return of the big three all having licenses? Still could be possible in a way as they sell products for multiple companies already. By no means am I an expert on the future, but I think it might be refreshing.

I think it'll start out refreshing but at some point stuff is going to start to have a certain homogeneous feel to them.

With Panini their cardstock feels the same across multiple brands. Highly glossy on the front, more of satin on the back. The card backs all have that same tired quarter effort put into them. Not one Panini product lists full career stats. It's always the last year plus career totals. If there is a picture on the back, it is always the same picture as the front. They've done a lot better about giving cards actual card numbers instead of PS-JA or something like that which makes set building super annoying. Their efforts on stickers are always the same, uninspired and uncaring about the design around the sticker.

Fanatics I think will start off fresh but over time not so much. Using the same design team overseen by the same production managers, certain tastes, aesthetics, philosophies will bleed over to different product lines even if they consolidate brands like Topps, Panini, and heck even Upper Deck under their tent.

I think the first couple of years I'll be quite interested in what Fanatics does but I have no doubts I'll get as annoyed about the sameness across different brands as I did with Panini.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Oklahoma Sooners

I think it'll start out refreshing but at some point stuff is going to start to have a certain homogeneous feel to them.

With Panini their cardstock feels the same across multiple brands. Highly glossy on the front, more of satin on the back. The card backs all have that same tired quarter effort put into them. Not one Panini product lists full career stats. It's always the last year plus career totals. If there is a picture on the back, it is always the same picture as the front. They've done a lot better about giving cards actual card numbers instead of PS-JA or something like that which makes set building super annoying. Their efforts on stickers are always the same, uninspired and uncaring about the design around the sticker.

Fanatics I think will start off fresh but over time not so much. Using the same design team overseen by the same production managers, certain tastes, aesthetics, philosophies will bleed over to different product lines even if they consolidate brands like Topps, Panini, and heck even Upper Deck under their tent.

I think the first couple of years I'll be quite interested in what Fanatics does but I have no doubts I'll get as annoyed about the sameness across different brands as I did with Panini.

I see where you’re coming from, and I totally agree with your stance on Panini. They no doubt destroyed the Jersey card with the fake patches and entire card backs of “CONGRATULATIONS”. Those were terrible. However, one could say that any brand will become just a card with a picture and stats after a few years. That’s what makes the successful lines successful. Like when people say there wouldn’t be any good days without bad days. There is no way around it without mixing sports or including reward points (would spend on team apparel +1). I’m looking forward to it but the next 5 years will undoubtedly be turbulent.
    Last edited by turnpipe; 09-03-2021 at 12:05 PM.