Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Chicago Bears TCU Horned Frogs

2021 Illusions gold foil vs black foil, is one hobby and the other retail?

Has anyone opened up some 2021 Illusions?

I got two different cards. One has the players name and the other information on the card in a gold foil and one with a black foil. Trying to figure out the difference, I am under the impression one is from a hobby box and the other is retail but have no idea if this is accurate and which came from what.

Screen shots from eBay (not my photos) dont have the cards in front of me to take a side by side photo but will if requested

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Football Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Member is PayPal Verified

Hey Rob, the black foil is retail. The second picture you have is hobby. Nice cards! I still need to pick up a hobby version of Fields.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Hey Rob, the black foil is retail. The second picture you have is hobby. Nice cards! I still need to pick up a hobby version of Fields.

I can confirm, at least with information provided by some eBay sellers I reached out to who responded. One stated he pulled the black version from both retail blaster and retail mega boxes.

I also have a green foil…. Who knows what packs those are pulled from? Honestly I’m not as worried about the green. These Illusions cards look really good in my opinion and don’t understand why they don’t get more love in the hobby.

Football Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Member is PayPal Verified

Green foil is going to be retail also. Basically here are the parallels for hobby packs:

• Bronze - #/499
    • Pink - #/399
    • Yellow Diamond - #/249
    • Light Blue - #/149
    • Red - #/99
    • Blue - #/75
    • Black Ice - #/50
    • Platinum - #/35
    • Gold - #/25
    • Green - #/10
    • Purple - 1/1

If it's not one of those, it's likely to be retail. The other item to note is that some of the scarcer parallels have an image of a retired great from the same team/position as the player depicted on the front..... most of the time. For the Bears, it's Trubisky.

SCF Rewards
    Country

One more piece of interesting and maybe helpful information.

The gold foil hobby is a much thicker card than the black foil retail. Not sure what the point thickness is of either but it’s a significant difference