Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Help Me Understand Why the Emphasis on BV

Hello!

So I've been on the forum for a long time and have always gone with what most people use when trading in BV. However, as I've gotten older and have shifted to selling alongside trading, I've come to wonder why there remains such an emphasis on what Beckett declares a value to be. Someone could say a card has a BV of $60 but then I could find the same card on eBay for $14. The difference is so stark that I don't see how it makes sense to keep using BV, as it seems outdated. Could someone who uses BV explain why this continues to have an emphasis?
    Cards FT: Hidden Content

I collect Aaron Judge
    BV hasn't been relevant since 2008. Unless we've used BV previously, I prefer to look at sales for value

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Marines
    Member is PayPal Verified

so sounds like you are really asking book value vs. ebay value....???

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Marines
    Member is PayPal Verified

there are many tools to help accurately narrow down the price range so you can get real-time, here-and-now price. ebay can be a good source for secondary market prices as things can and are constantly fluctuating and 'values' for cards are always changing.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    New York Yankees Kansas City Royals

People use book value cause it gives you 30 days to trade a player who might be injured or traded or even in a bad slump before the next price guide comes out showing a drop in value. Plus Beckett doesn’t change every card value in there price guide every month. So for instance Jesus sanchez 1st chrome auto BV$100.00 with arrow going up. That price hasn’t really changed at all in about 6 months. I suggest using Beckett on line for up to date pricing or just go off sell value or if the price don’t make sense just pass on a trade. Also not to mention going off sale value has its strengths & weaknesses. It’s all about timing and what someone feels the card is worth to them. People forget just because a card sold for $100.00 doesn’t mean the card is really worth that. Some people just have lots of cash to burn or are impatient. Prime example is the 2022 topps series 1 wander Franco. Remember what it was selling for in the beginning, now see where it’s at now.
    This is just a small sample of what I collect.
    I collect Yordan Alvarez, Jeremy Pena, Ronald Acuna Jr, Austin Riley, Aaron judge, Anthony Volpe. Yankees Auto’s & relics HOF Rookies, relics & Auto’s, Top Rookies & prospects.