Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    Ohio State Buckeyes Detroit Red Wings

Post Looking back what could have been better

Greetings:
    Looking back at the 2001 Upper Deck Decade 1970’s set. I still can't believe that I have 1 out of a possible 97 complete sets of the single bat game used sets that I set out to make back in 2002. The reason it's 1 out of a possible 97 sets is cause of the Tug McGraw piece is only was said to be limited of 97 pieces made. They weren't any serial numbers like xxx/xxx amount on any of the SPs bat pieces.

As you can see from my phone I posted the 48 different players so I hope you are able to view it. From left to right here's the list of who is in this set also I placed the Short Prints by labeling them with an SP notice as well the print run of how many pieces of that single bat game used is.

Andre Dawson
    Al Oliver
    Bobby Bonds
    Bobby Grich
    Bill Madlock
    Bobby Murcer
    Boog Powell
    Bill Russell
    Bud Harrelson SP/290
    Carlton Fisk
    Darrell Evans
    Don Baylor
    Dave Concepcion
    Dave Parker
    Dave Winfield
    Dwight Evans
    Eddie Murray
    Fred Lynn
    Gary Carter
    George Foster
    Greg Luzinski
    Garry Maddox
    Graig Nettles SP/219
    Hank Aaron
    Hal McRae
    Jack Clark
    Joe Morgan
    Jose Cruz Sr.
    Ken Griffey Sr.
    Keith Hernandez SP/243
    Manny Mota
    Maury Wills
    Nolan Ryan
    Ozzie Smith
    Randy Jones
    Reggie Jackson
    Roberto Clemente SP/243
    Ron Hunt
    Rick Monday
    Ron Santo
    Roy White
    Steve Garvey
    Tommy Davis
    Tim McCarver
    Tug McGraw SP/97
    Tom Seaver SP/121
    Willie Montanez
    Willie Randolph

Looking back at this set 21 years later after it was produced there was 180 cards made in the base set some players were in the set fit the set like Tom Seaver,Reggie Jackson,Steve Garvey who were Stars in the '70s. Then there was players who & yes I know that licensing plays a problem with things but,there should been some players included that were Stars in the '70s like Mark Fidrych,Rod Carew,George Brett aren't in the set. While guys like Luis Aparicio who was a star in the '50's & '60's is in it. Then comes guys in my 48 piece set who I wonder what was Upper Deck thinking sure I know Pitchers in the National League bat but they are more famous for their arms not hitting no offense to Shohei Ohtani of today's game but if you look closely like Tug McGraw he was a relief pitcher but there's 97 possible pieces that you can get (95 actually cause I own 2 of the McGraw pieces) Randy Jones was a starter he won the 1976 National League Cy Young Award for his efforts he should have been in the game worn jersey cards not a bat piece but he's not in there as jersey but as a hitting star instead. I apologize for the long read of this post but I just like to hear from others & I am sure that @michigandan would agree why wasn't Fidrych included in the set what star players from 1970’s would you include in the set. I could go on & on about certain players who in my opinion I consider Stars but you would say how was he a star he wasn't. So I like to have this post open for you to read as for some of the newer collectors I like to hear from you if fanatics were to create a version of this set now but it be set in 2035 & they focused on Stars in the 2000 to 2022 who would make the cut & what 48 players in the frame would you see in a game used bat piece set. So with that said I open the door for you to comment on this post thanks for reading & I'll be adding my side comments to anyone who might comment on it & give my views on your responses.
    Last edited by BSEBALLCOMMISH75; 03-31-2022 at 07:32 PM.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Army
    See 529mi's Items on eBay

Fidrych had one good yr, 19-9, lifetime 29-19

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    Ohio State Buckeyes Detroit Red Wings

Greetings:
    @Devlin true but if you look closely at all the people who represented the Detroit Tigers in that set you have Al Kaline who retired in 1974 after amassing a career 399 home runs 3007 hits & the other Tigers represented was Jason Thompson who was with Detroit from 1976 to 1980. Compared Thompson's career with Fidrych's in Detroit they pretty much are equal sure Thompson was a first baseman with 30 home runs in both leagues but he didn't make stride until he was with the Pirates & like you mentioned that Fidrych had the 1 good year in 1976.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Fidrych may have only had one good year--but what a year! There are guys in the Hall who, IMO, didn't deliver as much fun as that their entire careers.