From what I've read (and much of it is "instant analysis" type stuff -- it sounds like the Hawks somewhat rushed him into the lineup right out of his draft year, and then came the wrist injury, which are notoriously difficult to overcome (ask J. Drouin). The Habs have done that to a few guys over the years, and yeah it's frustrating to see things unravel. The hope, obviously, is that the wrist heals up and Marty St. Louis can work his Caufield magic to get this kid to his full potential. If they're able to tap into that, look out. He's only 21. Sometimes it can take a player 4-6 years to really hit their full stride, and I think that's what Hughes is banking on here. If it works, he's our 2C in behind Suzuki...and if you've got a 6'4" right shot centre out there, that's hard to come by.

I agree, he should have played a year or two in the AHL. I hate to say it, but our last two coaches weren't good for him. They kept moving him up and down the lines. One game he would play 15 - 18 minutes then the next 8 - 10. I hope Marty guides him the right way. I think he can become star player in the NHL. They played him at wing for a handful of games and he actually looked better there then at center.

His wrist injury didn't help him at all, and he missed some games when he fell on it during a game. Also have to remember that he's played just under two full seasons.