Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    Cleveland Indians Buffalo Sabres Buffalo Bulls
    See scottkoz20's Items on eBay Packrip.com Traders COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack
    Send PayPal to scottkoz20 Member is PayPal Verified

20 Thoughts for the 22-23 NHL Season

I can't find my post from last season... but it's time for "20 thoughts"

1. As a Sabre fan, I am excited for the 1st time in a couple of seasons for start of the season. I'll spare you all making all 20 to be about the Sabres - so I'll leave you with this. They will finish HIGHER in the standings than Detroit and Montreal. I'm not going to be bold and say Boston and Ottawa (I'll get to you next), but they will be playing meaningful hockey in March.

2. I think Ottawa is going to be playing a TON of high scoring games this season, think 5-4, 6-5. I say this because for as much as the offense is improved, they did literally nothing to improve the back end AND might have regressed with Cam Talbot in net (big wildcard IMO), I believe they are better than Detroit however.

3. Florida is not going to win the Presidents Trophy and might struggle to get to 3rd in the Atlantic (they should be 3rd IMO).

4. The Metro is a 2 team race - Carolina and the Rangers. Pittsburgh, Washington, C-bus, the Islanders and Jersey will fight for that 3rd spot.....

5. ... meaning Philly is going to be right there with Chicago, Montreal and Arizona St. Sun De... (Coyotes) for the right to take Connor Bedard.

6. Edmonton wins the Pacific BUT WILL LOSE IN ROUND 1.

7. Jack Eichel will lead the Vegas Golden Knights in scoring with 75 points in 70 games played and will into the playoffs behind Logan Thompson as their #1 goalie

8. Trade Watch for Kane and Toews. Kane is dealt before Toews and is traded to Colorado (via Buffalo for cap reasons). Toews is dealt near the deadline to Toronto (via Arizona) to add a player that knows what it will take to get past the 1st round.

9. Speaking of Toronto - yes, they will get past 1 round of the playoffs.

10. Huberdeau will score more goals than Gaudreau, will have more assists than Tkachuk and have more points than both.

11. Matt Berniers will win Seattle's 1st post season award with the Calder Trophy - fellow Michigan Wolverines Owen Power and Kent Johnson also as finalist.

12. Kirill Kaprizov wins the Art Ross trophy; Leon Draisaitl wins the Rocket Richard; Andrei Vasilevskiy wins the Vezina and somehow Patrice Bergeron is given another Selke even though Anthony Cirelli should win it

13. Colorado will have a new starting goalie, but its not the one they trade for - Pavel Francouz takes the net in Colorado and they go on another run

14. San Jose wins the draft lottery from the 6th spot.

15. Winnipeg deals Blake Wheeler to the Rangers in a deal that has Kappo Kakko going to the Peg.

16. Breakout player in the league this season: Quinton Byfield, LA Kings

17. Divisional Winners: Atlantic: Toronto; Metro: NY Rangers; Central: Colorado; Pacific: Edmonton

18: Playoff Teams: Atlantic; Tampa, Florida, Ottawa (sneaks in on final day with SO Loss in Buffalo - rewarded with another loss in the Battle of Ontario); Metro; Carolina, Pittsburgh, C-Bus; Central; Minnesota, Nashville, St. Louis; Pacific: Calgary, Los Angeles, Vegas

19. Conference Finals: Carolina over Tampa; Calgary over Colorado

20. Finals: Carolina over Calgary

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    Cleveland Indians Buffalo Sabres Buffalo Bulls
    See scottkoz20's Items on eBay Packrip.com Traders COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack
    Send PayPal to scottkoz20 Member is PayPal Verified

Order of Finish in the Divisions

Atlantic
    1. Toronto
    2. Tampa
    3. Florida
    4. Ottawa
    5. Boston
    6. Buffalo
    7. Detroit
    8, Montreal

Metro
    1. Rangers - wins Presidents Trophy
    2. Carolina
    3. Pittsburgh
    4. Columbus
    5. New Jersey
    6. Washington
    7. Islanders
    9. Philly

Central
    1. Colorado
    2. Minnesota
    3. Nashville
    4. St. Louis
    5. Dallas
    6. Winnipeg
    7. Chicago
    8. Arizona

Pacific
    1. Edmonton
    2. Calgary
    3. Los Angeles
    4. Vegas
    5. Vancouver
    6. Seattle
    7. San Jose
    8. Anahiem

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Army
    See 529mi's Items on eBay

not bad

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Edmonton Oilers Toronto Blue Jays Hamilton Tiger Cats
    See 30Ranfordfan's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

I can't find my post from last season... but it's time for "20 thoughts"

1. As a Sabre fan, I am excited for the 1st time in a couple of seasons for start of the season. I'll spare you all making all 20 to be about the Sabres - so I'll leave you with this. They will finish HIGHER in the standings than Detroit and Montreal. I'm not going to be bold and say Boston and Ottawa (I'll get to you next), but they will be playing meaningful hockey in March.

I could see this happening. I don't think they'll sniff the playoffs - but I'd peg them 6th in the division.

2. I think Ottawa is going to be playing a TON of high scoring games this season, think 5-4, 6-5. I say this because for as much as the offense is improved, they did literally nothing to improve the back end AND might have regressed with Cam Talbot in net (big wildcard IMO), I believe they are better than Detroit however.

Talbot is an upgrade over Murray, IMO. I think Ottawa is a top 5 team in the Atlantic, and could push Boston for 4th. The Bruins are going to slip out one of these years (though I'm not convinced this is the one). Ottawa will be "in it" - at least - until the last couple of weeks of the season.

3. Florida is not going to win the Presidents Trophy and might struggle to get to 3rd in the Atlantic (they should be 3rd IMO).

Agree. They will take a step back (and get bounced in the 1st round again).

4. The Metro is a 2 team race - Carolina and the Rangers. Pittsburgh, Washington, C-bus, the Islanders and Jersey will fight for that 3rd spot.....

I don't think there will be a race. It will be CAR, then NYR, and there will be a decent gap between 1 &2, and again between 2&3. The fight for 3rd I agree with you.

5. ... meaning Philly is going to be right there with Chicago, Montreal and Arizona St. Sun De... (Coyotes) for the right to take Connor Bedard.

CHI & AZ are going to be historically awful. PHI and MTL definitely in that race for 3rd.

6. Edmonton wins the Pacific BUT WILL LOSE IN ROUND 1.

6. Edmonton wins the Pacific BUT WILL LOSE IN ROUND 1. and advance to the Stanley Cup finals (and maybe even win them)

^^^^

Fixed it for you.

7. Jack Eichel will lead the Vegas Golden Knights in scoring with 75 points in 70 games played and will into the playoffs behind Logan Thompson as their #1 goalie

I could see the 75 in 70 from Eichel (maybe even a bit better). I see this team being a dumpster fire, maybe scratching into a playoff spot, maybe not. Thompson will be mediocre, at best.

8. Trade Watch for Kane and Toews. Kane is dealt before Toews and is traded to Colorado (via Buffalo for cap reasons). Toews is dealt near the deadline to Toronto (via Arizona) to add a player that knows what it will take to get past the 1st round.

I think you're right (they both get traded). Those would be interesting landing spots.

9. Speaking of Toronto - yes, they will get past 1 round of the playoffs.

One of the years, it's going to happen. I'd like to see it..... but I would LOVE to see them trade for Toews, and bow out in 6 games.

10. Huberdeau will score more goals than Gaudreau, will have more assists than Tkachuk and have more points than both.

Calgary fleeced Florida.

11. Matt Berniers will win Seattle's 1st post season award with the Calder Trophy - fellow Michigan Wolverines Owen Power and Kent Johnson also as finalist.

Very reasonable guesses.

12. Kirill Kaprizov wins the Art Ross trophy; Leon Draisaitl wins the Rocket Richard; Andrei Vasilevskiy wins the Vezina and somehow Patrice Bergeron is given another Selke even though Anthony Cirelli should win it

No, very good chance, likely, likely.

13. Colorado will have a new starting goalie, but its not the one they trade for - Pavel Francouz takes the net in Colorado and they go on another run

That's bold. Franky is a good goalie, but they have never seemed interested in him being a starter. Georgiev is far from proven though.

14. San Jose wins the draft lottery from the 6th spot.

San Jose being in the 6th spot is a good bet. Winning? There will be some sad faces in AZ and CHI.

15. Winnipeg deals Blake Wheeler to the Rangers in a deal that has Kappo Kakko going to the Peg.

Brutal deal for the Rags, if they do it.

16. Breakout player in the league this season: Quinton Byfield, LA Kings

I could see this. I think the Kings have done a great job assembling their roster.

17. Divisional Winners: Atlantic: Toronto; Metro: NY Rangers; Central: Colorado; Pacific: Edmonton

I got TOR, CAR, COL, EDM.

[quote]

18: Playoff Teams: Atlantic; Tampa, Florida, Ottawa (sneaks in on final day with SO Loss in Buffalo - rewarded with another loss in the Battle of Ontario); Metro; Carolina, Pittsburgh, C-Bus; Central; Minnesota, Nashville, St. Louis; Pacific: Calgary, Los Angeles, Vegas

I'd bank of Washington making it, over Columbus..... I can see Dallas (via a wild card) getting in over Vegas. I think most of your picks are sound (obviously I flipped CAR and NYR)

19. Conference Finals: Carolina over Tampa; Calgary over Colorado

20. Finals: Carolina over Calgary

Carolina over Tampa, Edmonton over Colorado...... and then Edmonton avenges the loss of 2006 :)

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    (108) Hobby Insider
    Country

The season might be tough in Montreal with Price and Weber out, but it will be fun to watch the young guys.
    Wantlist: Hidden Content
    Tradelist: Hidden Content

Hockey Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens Toronto Blue Jays San Francisco 49ers
    Twitter: @@RealRGM81 See price31collector's Items on eBay Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

The season might be tough in Montreal with Price and Weber out, but it will be fun to watch the young guys.

That's pretty much what I'm gearing up for -- some exciting action from the young forwards, learning & development for the young guys on the blue line, and some tough nights in goal.
    Habs fan and collector! Main PC's: Carey Price, Nick Suzuki, Cole Caufield, Juraj Slafkovsky, and of course...

Hidden Content Hidden Content ! 254 Unique Cards + 23 1/1's!!!

Participate in our Hidden Content , sponsored by Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Assistant General Manager

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

Thanks for sharing Scott.

DOn

New Member Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See manthis02's Items on eBay

thanks for the good ideas..
    hope that some of it is true..
    my new flicker

Hidden Content

- ( IN ROCK WE TRUST )= (ITS ROCK or BUST)-

SCF Rewards
    Country

My one thought for the year: the Flyers struggle mightily to win 20 games, and still lose out on the #1 pick to Chicago.
    Patrick Roy PC: Playing days 1985/86-2002/03, excluding 1/1, National Show/All-Star Game issues.
    PC Completion: 2,659/2,983 = 89.11%
    PC Website: Hidden Content