Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (48)
    Country
    Twitter: @HeroesofCrease See FanaticofTKD's Items on eBay Instagram:

Wow! A 70 Year Old Piece of NHL Original-Six History!

NEW PIECE ALERT!

Unique NHL goalie number 205 to enter my company's vaults of goaltending history at Heroes of the Crease is here and we go back a long 70-ish years for this one. It is not for sale, trade, nor donation.

What you are looking at right now is a pair of game worn CCM goalie skates utilized by goalie equipment pioneer, Don Simmons during the 1950s while with the NHL's Boston Bruins and/or the AHL's Springfield Indians. With that, there exists the possibility that these may have been used in the 1957 and/or 1958 Stanley Cup Finals (though we cannot confirm that 100%). They have incredible wear and we can only imagine the tales of the NHL these could tell if they could talk. This item originated from the Simmons family.

Born on September 13, 1931 in Port Colborne, Ontario, Don Simmons' pro hockey journey started with the Springfield Indians before he was acquired by the Boston Bruins in January 1957 after Terry Sawchuk had health issues and announced his retirement (which resulted in much hostility by team management and the media). Simmons made his NHL debut on January 26, 1957 vs the New York Rangers and he stopped 30 of 35 shots in a 5-3 loss. He ended up appearing in 26 regular season games that year, going 13-9-4 and recording 4 shutouts. He also helped lead Boston into the Stanley Cup Final vs Montreal, losing to them in five games. The next year, he appeared in 39 more games with the Bruins and then once again led them into the Stanley Cup Final, this time falling in six games to the Habs. Though appearing in 58 games the next year, Simmons' role was supplanted by Harry Lumley in the playoffs. After 46 more games with the Bruins in the next two seasons, Simmons was traded to Toronto in 1961. In Toronto, he appeared in 61 combined regular season and playoff games between 1961-1964 and he was also a three time Stanley Cup Champion (1962, 1963, 1964). Thereafter, most of his play time was spent in the minor-pros with Baltimore, Tulsa, Vancouver, and Buffalo, though he did appear in a further 21 NHL games with the New York Rangers. He retired from play in 1969.

Already one of the experimental goalies of the NHL in the 1950s (he was the second after Jacques Plante to regularly wear a mask) as he did use/try several unique mask models throughout his career, Don Simmons created a goalie gear brand called Don Simmons Sports after his retirement. Though the original brand folded in 2019 a new ownership group keeps the name alive as Simmons Hockey. Don Simmons passed away on September 24, 2010.

In his NHL career, Don Simmons appeared in 249 regular season games, recording a 100-102-41 record with 20 shutouts, a 2.89GAA, and a 0.904% save average. In 24 playoff games, he had a 13-11 record with 3 shutouts, a 2.59GAA, and a 0.913% save average.

Acquired from: They originally came directly from the Simmons family, then consigned to Classic Auctions, then made its way to the archives of Global Vintage Sports, then acquired and donated to our museum.

Dates of Game Use: Exact dates unknown, attributed to 1950s with Boston Bruins and/or Springfield Indians.

Photomatched: No

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    CnC (21)
    Country
    Toronto Maple Leafs Calgary Flames NULL
    Twitter: @@creasecollector Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack My traders on Flickr

Now these are awesome.

I can only image what it was like skating around in those things.
    Jhonas Enroth Card Collector & Host of the Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    View my Hidden Content | My Hidden Content | Complete Hidden Content | Card Blog Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country

Wow that is totally AMAZING! Thanks for showing it off
    Selling All My Cards Here------>Hidden Content

Baseball Autograph and Game Used Only Trade Page: pwaldo.webs.com/
    //s123.photobucket.com/albums/o299/pwaldo/

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Atlanta Braves

Very cool! Thanks for sharing!

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (48)
    Country
    Twitter: @HeroesofCrease See FanaticofTKD's Items on eBay Instagram:

Now these are awesome.

I can only image what it was like skating around in those things.

I imagine it was not the most comfortable. Looking at the inside of the skates, you can see the bumps of the rivets at the sole and outside of the tongue of the skates having some wool cushioning, there was no cushioning otherwise inside of it.

Wow that is totally AMAZING! Thanks for showing it off

Thank you for the comment!

Very cool! Thanks for sharing!

Thank you!

Assistant General Manager

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

Awesome, addition to the collection. Thanks for sharing as always.

DON