Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    TTM Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country
    New York Giants Philadelphia Phillies New Jersey Devils
    See arfmax's Items on eBay

16-Jul-2023

On Sunday, I went to the American Association game between the Chicago Dogs and the Lake Country Dockhounds in Rosemont, IL. The Dogs are doing family fun days on Sundays, which means that they have catch on the field before the game, and then all of the players and coaches are supposed to come out onto the outfield for 20 minutes or so and sign autographs. They have done this the last few years, and it is great, you can get the autos you need from the Dogs, and then when that ends, the other team still hasn't come out of the clubhouse, so you can get them as well. Prior to the game, I was able to get 3 cards signed by pitching coach Stu/Stew/Stewart Cliburn, and 4 cards signed from manager Butch Hobson, who returned to the team this week from knee surgery and a staph infection. Unfortunately, he said we was leaving for more surgery again. Anyway, again, starting center fielder Nick Heath did not come out at all, so I wasn't able to get anything signed from him. Prior to the game, I was able to get 1 card signed from former Nationals outfield prospect Nick Banks, 1 card signed by former Marlins outfield prospect Thomas Jones, 3 cards signed by former Oakland Athletics pitcher and current Dockhounds coach Reggie Harris,2 cards signed by former Pirates pitcher and Dockhounds pitching coach Paul Wagner, and 4 cards signed by former Braves and Diamondbacks pitcher Randall Delgado.
    Photo of the Dogs autos:

Photo of the Dockhounds autos:

-arfmax
    Total IP autos in 2023: 164
    Working on autographed 1987 Topps Baseball set:
    Total Cards in Set:792/Total Autographable: 760 (6 Checklists, 26 Team Leaders)
    Total Autographed:639!
    Currently Sent (Outstanding):44
    Percent Complete:84.1

TTM Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country

2023 The National Day 1 27-Jul-2023

The National Sports Collectors Convention is in Rosemont, IL this week, which is where O'Hare is located, so not actually Chicago. Anyway, I paid many months ago for a VIP pass, which entitles you to 18 VIP autograph guests, plus other things. This years list of VIP signers was much weaker than in year's past, especially if you are a Chicago autograph collector, so many of these guys have been doing free signings in Chicago for years. Anyway, Wednesday evening, there is a VIP party, and they bring in 3 different guests to sign. I was able to get 4 autographs on cards from Hockey HOFer Marcel Dionne (a repeat VIP guest from 1 or 2 Nationals ago), 4 autographs on cards from former Chicago Bulls guard BJ Armstrong, and 1 autograph on a mini helmet by Football HOFer Bob Lilly. He would not add HOF inscription for the first 40 people through the line, and told me I could write it myself. He eventually started doing it, but was so slow, I just couldn't go back through. The show opened, and there were two VIP guests, I was able to get 1 autograph on a card from former Chicago Bear Mark Carrier, and 1 autograph on a card from former Chicago Bull Bill Wennington. One of the sponsor companies brought in former Seattle Seahawks draft pick Cassius Marsh, who is big into Magic the Gathering cards, I believe, and I had him sign 2 cards, and finally, noted sports business analyst Darren Rovell was exhibiting some of his items (he collects ticket stubs and has them slabbed, as well as cancelled checks from Madonna, or the old driver's license from Bruce Springsteen), and I had him sign 2 2015 Topps Allen & Ginter cards.
    Photo of the Bob Lilly mini helmet:

Photo of the other NSCC Day 1 autos:

-arfmax
    Total IP autos in 2023: 179
    Last edited by arfmax; 07-27-2023 at 10:54 PM. Reason: should be Day 1 26-Jul-2023, sorry

TTM Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country

2023 The National Day 2 27-Jul-2023

Day 2 of the National-The VIP guests today were former New York Mets player Al Weis, former Chicago Cubs player Paul Popovich, former Chicago Bulls player Bob Love, and former Chicago White Sox player Geoff Blum. I was able to get 2 autos on cards of Weis, 2 autos on cards of Popovich, 1 autograph on a card from Love, and 4 autographs on cards from Blum. I also knew that former Eagles and Broncos guard Evan Mathis was going to be present, so I found his booth and had him sign two cards for me. After the show ended, I attended a party sponsored by one of the breakers, and the special guest at the event was former San Francisco 49ers offensive tackle Joe Staley, who signed 6 cards for me.

Photo of the VIP autos:

Photo of the Joe Staley autos:

-arfmax
    Total IP autos in 2023: 196

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Army
    Baltimore Orioles New York Jets New Jersey Devils

Nice going on the pick ups

Just wondering did you run into Tim Virgilio from SFS

Assistant General Manager

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

Thanks for sharing congrats,

Don

TTM Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country

Nice going on the pick ups

Just wondering did you run into Tim Virgilio from SFS

Yes. I donated some stuff to his table, and for the VIP signers, Tristar lets you bring up 4 or 5 maximum tickets and items at any time, so anyone I had 1 or 2 of, I grabbed some cards and tickets from the SFS booth, and got them signed, and brought them back to them. They have a number of orders to fill, so I am helping them out each day.

TTM Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country

2023 The National Day 3 28-Jul-2023

Day 3 of the National. I started the morning by going to the Fanatics/Topps booth, where they were giving out wristbands for an autograph later in the day by Hall of Famer Ozzie Smith. They were giving 100 wristbands, and I was able to get one. They also had NIL volleyball athlete Molly McCage appearing at the booth the hour before Ozzie, so I got an autograph from Molly McCage, and an autograph on a Topps provided Allen & Ginter National card from Ozzie Smith. Then, I picked up autographs from Chicago Red Stars soccer players Penelope Hocking and Ally Schlegel, who both signed individual cards and signed a dual-card of the players. At the same booth, Molly McCage was appearing, and so I picked up a 2nd autograph from her. For the VIP signers, I was able to get two cards signed by former Yankees/White Sox player Eric Soderholm. The other VIP at that time was Ron Kittle, who I had traded my ticket away already. Then, Brian Urlacher was making an appearance in the Ludex Lounge, and you were able to get an autographed card or 8x10 from him, presigned, and a photo. He had a random assortment of cards signed, so I grabbed an Upper Deck Masterpieces. Then, I tried to get a VIP autograph from former Chicago Bears quarterback Bobby Douglass, but I waited 2 hours, and the VIP line had not been called yet, so I finally gave up (the other VIP was Jody Davis, who I had already traded away). Instead, I went to the Main Stage where they were holding a Pokemon box break with former Green Back Packers and New York Giants linebacker Blake Martinez. After Mr. Martinez got offstage, he signed 6 cards for me.

Photo of the cards:

Photo of the Urlacher promo 8x10 that he signed:

-arfmax
    Total IP autos in 2023: 214

TTM Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country

28-Jul-2023 (Part II)

Since I am a glutton for punishment, after the National, I went to the Chicago Dogs game, which is right down the street from the convention center. It was 91 degrees, and my phone said it felt like 102. Just brutal for a bit. Anyway, prior to the game, I was able to get 3 autographs on card from former San Francisco Giants rookie infielder Miguel Gomez, and 2 autographs on cards from former Royals prospect Gabriel Cancel, who are both on the Milwaukee Milkmen.

Photo of the Cancel/Gomez autos:

-arfmax
    Total IP autos in 2023: 219

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Army
    Baltimore Orioles New York Jets New Jersey Devils

Yes. I donated some stuff to his table, and for the VIP signers, Tristar lets you bring up 4 or 5 maximum tickets and items at any time, so anyone I had 1 or 2 of, I grabbed some cards and tickets from the SFS booth, and got them signed, and brought them back to them. They have a number of orders to fill, so I am helping them out each day.

Thanks for the reply and also in helping Tim out with his cause.

TTM Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country

29-Jul-2023: The National Day 4

Saturday was light on autographs for me, which was nice. The VIP signers that I went to were former Chicago Blackhawks goalie Murray Bannerman, who signed two cards for me, and former Angels and Cardinals World Series Champion Scott Spiezio, who signed two cards for me. I traded away the VIP tickets for Ron Kittle and Jody Davis. Also during the day, the Upper Deck booth had a free signing with AEW wrestler Skye Blue. She signed a 5x7 card provided by Upper Deck. And finally, Topps brought in two college basketball players from Duke, and I was able to get one card provided by Topps signed by Duke guard Jeremy Roach, and one card provided by Topps signed by Duke center Kyle Filipowski.

Photo of the autos:

-arfmax
    Total IP autos in 2023: 226

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast