Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hockey Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens Toronto Blue Jays San Francisco 49ers
    Twitter: @@RealRGM81 See price31collector's Items on eBay Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

First Look: 2022-23 Upper Deck Extended Series

Habs fan and collector! Main PC's: Carey Price, Nick Suzuki, Cole Caufield, Juraj Slafkovsky, and of course...

Hidden Content Hidden Content ! 254 Unique Cards + 23 1/1's!!!

Participate in our Hidden Content , sponsored by Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Hockey Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Twitter: @@RealRGM81 See price31collector's Items on eBay Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

I am for obvious reasons very partial to that 07-08 design and love the notion of adding a Slafkovsky tribute YG.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Akron Zips Kent State Golden Flashes Tulane Green Wave
    Twitter: @. See .'s Items on eBay LinkedIn Instagram: Packrip.com Traders COMC Cards For Sale Kronozio Upper Deck ePack My traders on Flickr

back to 30 young guns i see
    Trade and Want List Below

Hidden Content

Hockey Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country

It will be interesting to see what these “1st Round Rookies” look like in comparison to the YG’s. I wonder if they’re being done as a way to make them XRC so that certain players can get a full run of rookie cards in 2023-24 products.

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    (108) Hobby Insider
    Country

I wonder if Slafkovsky will get its regular rookie in UD2 or Extended. The smallers rookie year inserts of him will be a nice chase in that product. 1999 History Class and BD Dominance designs look attractive.
    Wantlist: Hidden Content
    Tradelist: Hidden Content

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Edmonton Oilers Toronto Blue Jays Hamilton Tiger Cats
    See 30Ranfordfan's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

It will be interesting to see what these “1st Round Rookies” look like in comparison to the YG’s. I wonder if they’re being done as a way to make them XRC so that certain players can get a full run of rookie cards in 2023-24 products.

Reading it, I've got a different guess. They specifically said 2022-23 rookies - so I can see UD using one of three definitions:

1. Players who debuted in 2022-23
    2. Players who qualified as NHL rookies in 2022-23
    3. Players who got rookie cards in 2022-23

(I suppose it could be some mix of both)

I don't think these 30 cards are going to be of the players taken in the 2023 draft (i.e. a Bedard redemption). They'd have to wait years to finish making the cards. It's going to making second "base" cards of guys that already have YGs.... because a Matty Berniers 1st Round Rookie is going to a bigger hit than a YG of some guy that played one game, you've never heard of him, and after pulling his YG - it will be the last time you hear of him.

It's an interesting idea. Basically any of the top YGs from Series 1 & 2, they make another round of SP'd base cards for them in Extended..... which will cause plenty of talk amoung purists, when it comes to the age old "what is a rookie card?" question.

If Berniers is card #731 in the set, a "1st Round Rookie" - That card would qualify in every single traditional definition of a rookie card.... but the fact that it would be his second card in the set muddies the waters on it. Is it not a RC because it came out in a later set? Are they both rookie cards?

At the end of the day it doesn't really matter, I guess. People will build the set regardless of what a "true rookie card" is. Some people will chase the cards, some people won't care (I suspect the 1st round rookies won't be nearly as popular as the young guys).

I'll be honest. Retro parallels / inserts of rookies does zero to peak my interest. I'm also wondering about the three retro inserts (the 3-card puzzles, the 1999 History Class, and the Black Diamond Dominance). The preview infers that these are all classic designs, from the 1990s. I don't recall any of them. Is that my memory failing me? Or is this a card of UD doing "1990s retro designs" that were from non-hockey sets? (which I have never understood the appeal of).

I will say though, I like the idea of Extended. Fill it with enough insert content to make the boxes a little more worth while, and they're able to get cards out of MOST of the league. Edmonton hasn't had any RCs this year, hopefully extended will be able to change that.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See shockwiresports's Items on eBay

Thanks for sharing all of this great info

Upper Deck is pretty good at maintaining a consistent approach each year so not sure what this XRC 1st round rookie thing will do to that. Anyways, let’s see what happens